Official College Basketball Thread

McBride will be solid if he stays healthy. Last year's offense was based on the perimeter, so that's where the defense focused, and as a result, Rich simply didn't get a lot of open looks. This year's offense will focus a lot more on getting the ball inside with Augustine and Pruitt (and Marcus Arnold off the bench) so McBride should get some more open looks, and likely will lead to more success. IMO the biggest concert with him is his defense.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Nov 18, 2005 -> 06:41 PM)
McBride will be solid if he stays healthy.  Last year's offense was based on the perimeter, so that's where the defense focused, and as a result, Rich simply didn't get a lot of open looks. 

Umm...he got wide open 3 after wide open 3 last year due to the terrific ball movement and the fact the other 4 guys were the focus of the defense. Far too often, he was way off on his shot. Also, since he does absolutely nothing to generate offense besides his 3 point shooting, he was worthless on the court.

QUOTE(thedoctor @ Nov 18, 2005 -> 09:49 AM)

Yeah, I saw that.

That guy might just be bitter because the idiot reported the previous day that Cass would wait 'til spring to make the decision, even though he had already decided on DePaul.

http://www.pjstar.com/stories/111705/BRA_B85ASJFR.071.shtml

Still, I hope Wainwright isn't already f-ing up this early in his tenure.

McBride will be solid if he stays healthy.

i just have doubts this will ever happen. he's already having trouble with his feet and that's not the kind of thing that's good to hear before you've even played one game.

i've heard a lot about rich's improvements, his weight loss and his bigger role in the offense. i'm interested to see whether that's reality or just typical preseason positivism.

QUOTE(SleepyWhiteSox @ Nov 18, 2005 -> 07:16 PM)
Yeah, I saw that.

That guy might just be bitter because the idiot reported the previous day that Cass would wait 'til spring to make the decision, even though he had already decided on DePaul.

i'm not sure whether or not this is a violation. time will tell. i will say that it's highly unlikely this guy wrote this story out of spite. that's how you lose your job.

QUOTE(IlliniKrush @ Nov 18, 2005 -> 12:18 PM)
I'm more worried about his feet problems, not how good he is

^^^

McBride will be fine if he stays healthy. I hope the second half of the last exhibition game is indicative of how he will play this year. It was only for a couple minute stretch, but he was aggressive and confident and looked like he could get whatever shot he wanted at will.

QUOTE(SleepyWhiteSox @ Nov 18, 2005 -> 02:16 PM)
Yeah, I saw that.

Here's more, from Sportsline:

Cass stays in DePaul's plans after violation is self-reported 

Nov. 18, 2005

By Gregg Doyel

CBS SportsLine.com Senior Writer

Tell Gregg your opinion!

DePaul will self-report a recruiting violation to the NCAA but has no plans to cut its ties to the recruit in question -- small forward Manuel Cass, who chose the Blue Demons over Bradley.

As an added twist, DePaul opens its season Saturday against ... Bradley.

According to a statement released Friday by DePaul athletics director Jean Lenti Ponsetto, DePaul coach Jerry Wainwright visited Cass on Sunday, during a period when coaches aren't allowed such contact with recruits. Three days later, Cass signed with the Blue Demons after telling other schools recruiting him that he would remain unsigned until the spring.

According to Ponsetto, Wainwright mistakenly assumed Cass already had signed with DePaul. The early signing period had begun four days earlier, and in that case Wainwright would have been OK to visit. Instead, the visit was a recruiting violation.

An NCAA official told CBS SportsLine.com on Friday that DePaul doesn't necessarily have to cut ties to Cass. Ultimately, the NCAA official said, DePaul's claim to Cass will depend on the righteousness of Wainwright's overall recruiting techniques.

If this was, as DePaul is saying, an inadvertent and isolated violation, DePaul will be able to retain Cass. However, if DePaul's continuing investigation into the matter reveals intent or a pattern of violations, the school would struggle to keep Cass.

In a statement, Ponsetto said the school has reported the violation to the Big East and "will provide information to the NCAA upon completion of our review in order to cooperate to the fullest extent."

Meanwhile, Bradley's visit Saturday should be especially interesting. The schools already were fierce in-state rivals before this clash over Cass, who had been Bradley's top target this fall.

If Cass stays at DePaul, he would become the second player to elude Bradley after an NCAA violation by another school. After star forward Danny Granger transferred to New Mexico in January 2003, the Lobos were found to have made illegal contact with Granger while he was still on scholarship at Bradley. Granger became an All-American for New Mexico, leading the Lobos into the 2005 NCAA Tournament.

EDIT: Poor HTML use.

Edited by Mplssoxfan

I :wub: Jamar Smith

Illini up 46-32 at the half

Also - Pruitt looks solid, likewise with Frazier in his minutes.

Auggy with 12/6 :headbang

I like seeing this team score even while Dee is struggling, you know Dee will be fine but it's nice to get other guys looks early on in the year.

Edited by WHarris1

illini win pretty handily against south dakota state. We played a pretty sloppy game, but still had some positives.

-jamar smith continues to impress

-mcbride had a solid game

-just about everyone played a decent part in the win

oh yeah, and south dakota state is god awful.

QUOTE(Mplssoxfan @ Nov 18, 2005 -> 07:07 PM)
Here's more, from Sportsline:

EDIT: Poor HTML use.

Jean Lenti Ponsetto Statement - 11/18/2005

By DePaul Sports Information Statement from DePaul University Director of Athletics Jean Lenti Ponsetto Re: Allegation of NCAA secondary rules violation in the recruitment of Manuel Cass

"It has come to our attention that allegations have been made regarding alleged NCAA rules violations in the recruitment of prospective men's basketball student-athlete Manual Cass of Carbondale, Ill. Manuel was recruited by DePaul University and its men's basketball staff over the entire summer recruitment period. Manuel then made his official visit to DePaul University on the weekend of November 5. A National Letter of Intent (NLI) was sent to Manuel by DePaul University on November 8.

DePaul men's basketball head coach Jerry Wainwright operated under the assumption, based on conversations with those involved, that Manuel had already signed his NLI to attend DePaul University prior to Coach Wainwright's visit to Carbondale on November 13. Coach Wainwright was thus operating under the belief that the NCAA rule stating that once a prospective student-athlete has signed his/her NLI, coaches from that respective institution are allowed unlimited contacts, was applicable.

We have reported these actions to the proper officials at the BIG EAST Conference and will provide information to the NCAA upon completion of our review in order to cooperate to the fullest extent."

:(

QUOTE(Rex Hudler @ Nov 19, 2005 -> 12:02 AM)
Hoosiers win opener easily.......  Killingsworth shows he is a dominant player.  Look out Big Ten, the kid can flat out play.  Killingsworth's line:

28 pts, 13 rebounds, 6 assists, 4 blocks and 2 steals

Hoosiers Trounce Nicholls State

Again, Nicholls State.

Let's see what happens in East Lansing and at Champaign before we call him the second coming of Scott May.

QUOTE(SleepyWhiteSox @ Nov 19, 2005 -> 01:49 AM)
Jean Lenti Ponsetto Statement - 11/18/2005

By DePaul Sports Information Statement from DePaul University Director of Athletics Jean Lenti Ponsetto Re: Allegation of NCAA secondary rules violation in the recruitment of Manuel Cass

"It has come to our attention that allegations have been made regarding alleged NCAA rules violations in the recruitment of prospective men's basketball student-athlete Manual Cass of Carbondale, Ill. Manuel was recruited by DePaul University and its men's basketball staff over the entire summer recruitment period. Manuel then made his official visit to DePaul University on the weekend of November 5. A National Letter of Intent (NLI) was sent to Manuel by DePaul University on November 8.

DePaul men's basketball head coach Jerry Wainwright operated under the assumption, based on conversations with those involved, that Manuel had already signed his NLI to attend DePaul University prior to Coach Wainwright's visit to Carbondale on November 13. Coach Wainwright was thus operating under the belief that the NCAA rule stating that once a prospective student-athlete has signed his/her NLI, coaches from that respective institution are allowed unlimited contacts, was applicable.

We have reported these actions to the proper officials at the BIG EAST Conference and will provide information to the NCAA upon completion of our review in order to cooperate to the fullest extent." 

:(

Is it just me or does that statement just not seem very believable?