Official College Basketball Thread

QUOTE(aboz56 @ Nov 19, 2005 -> 11:43 AM)
Again, Nicholls State.

Let's see what happens in East Lansing and at Champaign before we call him the second coming of Scott May.

Considering the guy is a senior and has been an All-SEC player, I think it is reasonable to call him a great player. I really liked him 3 years ago before IU was ever in the picture, so there is no bias. The guy can play and will likely end up First (or at worst 2nd) Team All Big Ten.

Nicholls State or not, perhaps I might just be right and don't need East Lansing or Champaign to judge his talents? :)

All that said, greasy, let's not go crazy here with "Marco Killingsworth > Scott May".

Killingsworth is a special college player, but May was about as good as they came and was a two-time All-America.

Lastly, a quote from Nicholls State's head coach

Killingsworth's play left Nicholls State coach J.P. Piper speechless after a series of plays in the second half.

"What do you tell a freshman 6-9 post player when (Killingsworth) clobbers him on the block, we bring help, he steps out and knocks down a 3-pointer in his face?'' Piper said. "My player says, 'Coach, what do I do?' And I said, 'I don't know. Get in the weight room and look like him in two years.'

"He's just an absolute beast. He gives you a chance every night. He plays hard, he's smart, he's patient, and he didn't take bad shots.''

Edited by Rex Hudler

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Nov 18, 2005 -> 04:12 PM)
Wow. The four teams left in the "Gaurdians classic" are impressive.

Texas - ranked 2nd and 3rd in the polls

Kentucky - ranked 8th and 10th in the polls

West Virginia - ranked 14th and 15th in the polls

Iowa - ranked 20th in both polls

All games to be played in Kansas City.

I'm assuming ESPN will be televising all of the games? I sure hope so.

QUOTE(aboz56 @ Nov 19, 2005 -> 12:46 PM)
UK is way overrated.

Hopefully they get exposed.

I hope my Hawks can get passed them. Iowa and UK is becoming a semi rivalry it seems. I think the two teams have met up in big games quite often. In fact, IIRC, Kentucky has knocked out my Hawkeyes out of the tourney the past few times (not this past year though).

QUOTE(Rex Hudler @ Nov 19, 2005 -> 10:50 AM)
Lastly, a quote from Nicholls State's head coach

Why do we need a quote from Nicholls State's coach. It's Nicholls State.

First off, he's not better than Scott May.

May scored 26 in the national title game on the last team to go undefeated in college basketball. Killingsworth will be lucky if he ever plays in a Final Four, considering this is his last chance.

He might be pretty good, who knows, I haven't seen him that much.

I just wouldn't go wild over him after one game against Nicholls State.

And if he was All-Sec or whatever at Auburn, that doesn't matter much to me given SEC's tendency to get beat like a drum the past few years in the NCAA tournament. Most overrated conference year in and year out in the land. Only team that consistently ever does anything in the tourney is Kentucky and they even had their embarassing moments (UAB two years ago).

I'm gonna get a little wager going with greasy on whether or not he can outperform Davis when they play MSU. I'll take Davis over him as of right now as the best big man in the B10. Also I have Augustine second as of right now.

QUOTE(aboz56 @ Nov 19, 2005 -> 12:55 PM)
Why do we need a quote from Nicholls State's coach.  It's Nicholls State.

May scored 26 in the national title game on the last team to go undefeated in college basketball.  Killingsworth will be lucky if he ever plays in a Final Four, considering this is his last chance.

And if he was All-Sec or whatever at Auburn, that doesn't matter much to me given SEC's tendency to get beat like a drum the past few years in the NCAA tournament.  Most overrated conference year in and year out in the land.  Only team that consistently ever does anything in the tourney is Kentucky and they even had their embarassing moments (UAB two years ago).

I'm gonna get a little wager going with greasy on whether or not he can outperform Davis when they play MSU.  I'll take Davis over him as of right now as the best big man in the B10.  Also I have Augustine second as of right now.

*Cough* Greg Brunner *cough* (well power forward :) )

If you doubt Killingsworth, you will be wrong. And Nicholls State is not what convinced me. I've seen more than just last night and the exhibitions.

Just ready to be wrong about Killingsworth. He is the Shaq of the B10.

EDIT: For the people that know me, when am I ever arrogant/confident about anything? I'm pretty realistic and grounded about my opinions. Optimistic? Yes. However, it takes a lot for me to ever say something like this.

Killingsworth is simply the real deal.

QUOTE(aboz56 @ Nov 19, 2005 -> 08:55 PM)
Why do we need a quote from Nicholls State's coach.  It's Nicholls State.

May scored 26 in the national title game on the last team to go undefeated in college basketball.  Killingsworth will be lucky if he ever plays in a Final Four, considering this is his last chance.

And if he was All-Sec or whatever at Auburn, that doesn't matter much to me given SEC's tendency to get beat like a drum the past few years in the NCAA tournament.  Most overrated conference year in and year out in the land.  Only team that consistently ever does anything in the tourney is Kentucky and they even had their embarassing moments (UAB two years ago).

I'm gonna get a little wager going with greasy on whether or not he can outperform Davis when they play MSU.  I'll take Davis over him as of right now as the best big man in the B10.  Also I have Augustine second as of right now.

The guy is a D-I Head Basketball Coach. Who cares if it is at a small program? Do you not think he knows good talent?? Or are small school D-I coaches just stupid??

I never said he was better than Scott May. By the way, are you even old enough to have seen Scott May play? You haven't seen Killingsworth, nor May, so I am not sure where your "expertise" is coming from here.

I have seen him play Aboz and he is a legit player. If you want to challenge that, then we'll wait until the end of the season and see who is right.

But let's get over the "it's only Nicholls State". Whether it was Nicholls State, Duke or the Little Sisters of the Poor, the fact remains that someone that actually has seen him play, coupled with his previous credentials seems to trump that weak argument.

Edited by Rex Hudler

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Nov 19, 2005 -> 03:06 PM)
*Cough* Greg Brunner *cough* (well power forward :) )

If you would have told me when I watched him play in high school that he'd be a force in the Big 10, I'd have shat.

Of course, he may be 40. Gotten a good look at that hairline? :D :P

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Nov 19, 2005 -> 04:43 PM)
UC Irvine semithwomps Stanford at home, 79-63.

Woot Woot Anteaters. They got a really good coach and thus far this year they have been squashing everyone they played. They could be able to pull off an upset or two if they make the tourney.

QUOTE(aboz56 @ Nov 19, 2005 -> 06:43 AM)
Again, Nicholls State.

Let's see what happens in East Lansing and at Champaign before we call him the second coming of Scott May.

I don't know if East Lansing's going to be a true test, being that they can't even beat the likes of Hawaii. :lolhitting :P :P

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Nov 19, 2005 -> 08:16 PM)
I don't know if East Lansing's going to be a true test, being that they can't even beat the likes of Hawaii.  :lolhitting  :P  :P

When IU makes the tourney again, let me know.

:lolhitting :lolhitting :lolhitting

From what I read about the game, looks like just about every player had cramps. For what reason, I don't know. Perhaps it was pretty damn hot over there. Who knows for sure.

I remember last year UNC got a pretty nice beating at the hands of Santa Clara early on, so I won't panic over a loss just yet.

Katz wrote a nice article about the whole situation on ESPN.com that was a pretty good read, even looks like Hawaii will be a tourney team this year. Not saying that they should have gotten a beatdown, but I won't panic over one game. Now if they lay an egg in the Maui Invitational, I'll start to worry.

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Nov 20, 2005 -> 11:14 AM)
YEUP.jpg

Yessir.

lol, who was the coach then, who is the coach now?

It's pretty hypocritical to argue the present and then put up a picture of banners in Assembly Hall.

You are sometimes impossible to talk about IU with, so I'll just leave this at that.

Get back to me at the end of the season. Later dude.