Official College Basketball Thread

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Palehosefan @ Feb 13, 2006 -> 08:26 PM)
What about Tubby Smith at IU? I wouldn't bet against this being his last year at Kentucky. Might be a decent fit.

Ha let him go there. The only reason he had any success at Kentucky was winning that title with Pitino's players, and riding that wave in recruiting for a few years (as well as playing in the BAD BAD SEC). In general, Tubby can't recruit or coach. Bring him on.

Hell will freeze over before Wright leaves Villanova for IU, so good luck there. Tom Crean is a average coach who's entire resume was built up by 1 man: Dwyane Wade. If you want him, go ahead but it isn't going to go well. I really like Belein, but that style of his isn't going to bring in the kind of recruits people demand at Indiana. Telling recruits you are running a slow, Princeton offense isn't that appealing.

Tom Crean had nothing to do with Michigan St's success?

I'd hardly call him average.

As far as Wright goes, like I said, IU is a much better job than Villanova.

I know some Peegs people were talking about Wright, Zach.

People around here kept talking about their history, but I couldn't find much on it...

Is it centered around that fluke 1985 run that has yet to happen again there?

Wait, IU has 5 national titles. Villanova has ONE.

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Feb 13, 2006 -> 09:42 PM)
Nice win by Villanova. Crean isn't leaving Marquette though for whoever thinks that. I'm 95% sure of that. He likes it waayyy too much there for him to contemplate leaving that place.

I've got good sources who say otherwise.

I know he'd be interested in IU in fact.

Whether or not they'd want him as their top choice is another topic entirely.

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Feb 13, 2006 -> 08:14 PM)
I haven't heard much.  You've been the only one I ever heard say Jay Wright.

On Saturday, Andy Katz said John Beilein and Tom Crean would be high on IU's list if (when) the spot becomes open.  I'm pretty sure other names will come out later on.

couSTEVEALFORDgh!

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Feb 13, 2006 -> 09:21 PM)
Yup, Memphis just got f***ed over.

I think more than likely Texas is the team that loses out, although with their brutal conference schedule Memphis could suffer too. That's a really tough call right now, but those 3 with UConn and Duke seem to be ahead of the pack. Much as I like the Big Ten, I don't like their chances of stealing a #1 seed. All of the contenders minus OSU have at least 4 loses already, and they're also the only one that hasn't lost to a Big Ten dog yet. One of the teams would have to go on a serious run.

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Feb 13, 2006 -> 09:45 PM)
couSTEVEALFORDgh!

That one could make the most sense. Creen is another. Some of the names I've heard don't seem to make much sense to me, like Wright, Few, or Majerus. I haven't seen/heard enough from Beilen to know if he'd leave or not.

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ Feb 13, 2006 -> 09:27 PM)
IU fans, would you have wanted Bruce Pearl if he was, or becomes, available?

That nut is doing quite the job with the Vols.

I'd take him. However, of the people we'd be looking at, I think he'd be the last to leave. He's got a good thing going in Tennessee, and there's not much reason for him to leave that. The other coaches would be upgrading in coming here, with our history.

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Feb 13, 2006 -> 09:45 PM)
couSTEVEALFORDgh!

1900612.jpg

Or not.

QUOTE(ZoomSlowik @ Feb 13, 2006 -> 09:48 PM)
That one could make the most sense. Creen is another. Some of the names I've heard don't seem to make much sense to me, like Wright, Few, or Majerus. I haven't seen/heard enough from Beilen to know if he'd leave or not.

Why does Alford make sense? He's got a worse Big Ten record than Davis. The only thing he's got going for him is that he went here.

QUOTE(ZoomSlowik @ Feb 13, 2006 -> 08:46 PM)
I think more than likely Texas is the team that loses out, although with their brutal conference schedule Memphis could suffer too. That's a really tough call right now, but those 3 with UConn and Duke seem to be ahead of the pack. Much as I like the Big Ten, I don't like their chances of stealing a #1 seed. All of the contenders minus OSU have at least 4 loses already, and they're also the only one that hasn't lost to a Big Ten dog yet. One of the teams would have to go on a serious run.

I think Memphis will eventually lose out but it'll obviously depend on how they both finish. If they both win out I see Texas getting it, with their win over Memphis being the deciding factor.

Hell will freeze over before Wright leaves Villanova for IU, so good luck there. Tom Crean is a average coach who's entire resume was built up by 1 man: Dwyane Wade. If you want him, go ahead but it isn't going to go well. I really like Belein, but that style of his isn't going to bring in the kind of recruits people demand at Indiana. Telling recruits you are running a slow, Princeton offense isn't that appealing.

Tom Crean had nothing to do with Michigan St's success?

I'd hardly call him average.

As far as Wright goes, like I said, IU is a much better job than Villanova.

I know some Peegs people were talking about Wright, Zach.

People around here kept talking about their history, but I couldn't find much on it...

Is it centered around that fluke 1985 run that has yet to happen again there?

Wait, IU has 5 national titles. Villanova has ONE.

Ha, I love Indiana fans and their pointing to the banners. YOU HAVEN'T WON A TITLE IN 19 YEARS!! As of RIGHT NOW, Villanova is a better situation for a coach than Indiana is, and that is undebateable. They are in just as good a league as Indiana, there is less f***ing psycho fans (even in Philly) and they have a lot of areas to go and recruit very well, while Indiana can't keep their own players in state.

And yes, Crean was a real good assistant, but he has shown ZERO as a head coach other than the Dwyane Wade 1 man wrecking crew that carried his ass to the Final Four. And Steve Alford to Indiana would be priceless, but that won't happen.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Feb 13, 2006 -> 09:50 PM)
Ha, I love Indiana fans and their pointing to the banners.  YOU HAVEN'T WON A TITLE IN 19 YEARS!!  As of RIGHT NOW, Villanova is a better situation for a coach than Indiana is, and that is undebateable.  They are in just as good a league as Indiana, there is less f***ing psycho fans (even in Philly) and they have a lot of areas to go and recruit very well, while Indiana can't keep their own players in state.

And yes, Crean was a real good assistant, but he has shown ZERO as a head coach other than the Dwyane Wade 1 man wrecking crew that carried his ass to the Final Four.  And Steve Alford to Indiana would be priceless, but that won't happen.

Thanks for your insight, Andy Katz.

Your exclamation points and use of the CAPS LOCK really drive your point home. They make you so much more convincing.

No go back to the hole you climbed out of.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Feb 13, 2006 -> 09:50 PM)
Ha, I love Indiana fans and their pointing to the banners.  YOU HAVEN'T WON A TITLE IN 19 YEARS!!  As of RIGHT NOW, Villanova is a better situation for a coach than Indiana is, and that is undebateable.  They are in just as good a league as Indiana, there is less f***ing psycho fans (even in Philly) and they have a lot of areas to go and recruit very well, while Indiana can't keep their own players in state.

And yes, Crean was a real good assistant, but he has shown ZERO as a head coach other than the Dwyane Wade 1 man wrecking crew that carried his ass to the Final Four.  And Steve Alford to Indiana would be priceless, but that won't happen.

And that's Davis' fault that he can't get players from the state. That can easily change again. Indiana can give a guy Wright more money, and if they're both going good, there's no denying Indiana trumps Nova in prestige.

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Feb 13, 2006 -> 09:54 PM)
And that's Davis' fault that he can't get players from the state.  That can easily change again.  Indiana can give a guy Wright more money, and if they're both going good, there's no denying Indiana trumps Nova in prestige.

BUT THEY HAVEN'T WON IN 19 YEARS!!!!!!!!!

QUOTE(aboz56 @ Feb 13, 2006 -> 08:52 PM)
Thanks for your insight, Andy Katz.

Your exclamation points and use of the CAPS LOCK really drive your point home.  They make you so much more convincing.

No go back to the hole you climbed out of.

You could always, you know, rebutt my legitmate points. But I figured not, wouldn't expect that out an Indiana fan (and I find it ironic that an Indiana fan of all people would tell somebody to go back into their hole).

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Feb 13, 2006 -> 06:54 PM)
And that's Davis' fault that he can't get players from the state.  That can easily change again.  Indiana can give a guy Wright more money, and if they're both going good, there's no denying Indiana trumps Nova in prestige.

Heck, the way Sean May tells it, IU would have had him had Davis bothered to pay any attention at all to recruiting him and not just assumed he'd go to IU.

QUOTE(aboz56 @ Feb 13, 2006 -> 08:55 PM)
BUT THEY HAVEN'T WON IN 19 YEARS!!!!!!!!!

:lol: :lol:

What does that have to with that point? Davis can't get in state players because he's arrogant and thinks they are a lock to go to IU. But tell that to Sean May, Greg Oden, Eric Gordon, Mike Conley, etc.

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Feb 13, 2006 -> 08:54 PM)

Well yeah, Indiana trumps Villanova if they are both going well. But Indiana isn't going well right now, and haven't been going well for 4 years. And while 4 years isn't all that long, it's enough time to fall way behind on the recruiting trail.