Official College Basketball Thread

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(IlliniKrush @ Feb 14, 2006 -> 06:21 PM)
They just showed Iowa's "NCAA Tournament" banners...always gives me a laugh.

We are just as good as you guys, if not more storied when it comes to college sports. Last I look we've also played in NCAA finals games in college basketball. :D

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Feb 14, 2006 -> 10:11 PM)
We are just as good as you guys, if not more storied when it comes to college sports.  Last I look we've also played in NCAA finals games in college basketball.  :D

True, but take down the "NCAA Tournament" banners, that's just basically a confession of mediocrity by the program, and you guys are better than that.

QUOTE(Nokona @ Feb 14, 2006 -> 06:37 PM)
IOWA up 23-19 against MSU with Hansen at the line

very entertaining gotta love the defense in this game

Hell ya...we shut em down and really played good offense aside from a strecth late in the 1st half where we had some turnover problems.

Didn't turn the ball over in a 13+ minute run during the 2nd half. Horner looked great from 3 and for the most part they took good shots. Hansen was a beast and the Hawks came up with a huge win.

I also got to give credit to Alford as he did a really good coaching job. I loved all the different looks we gave MSU defensively and I also liked how he made sure Hansen and Brunner stayed fresh by giving Thomas more time.

Freeman...man do I like how Alford is getting the kid experience in crunch time. Definately preparing this guy for a big time role next year and he could turn into one of the best Iowa has ever seen at the point position (and they've had some damn good points). I'm glad he gets to play a year with Horner whose one of the best PG's in the country.

QUOTE(IlliniKrush @ Feb 14, 2006 -> 08:01 PM)
Jason, stop rushing the floor.

They can rush the floor every day for all I care...cause in the end a floor rush equates to a WIN. Well most of the time (cough *Illini fans* cough).

On a sidenote...you guys bash the crowd but this was as loud as I've heard Carver Hawkeye in some time (at least through TV). The school really seems to be getting behind these guys and I'm glad. We have one of the best home field advantages in football and an awesome following to road games as well (when it comes to FB) and it would be nice to see that happen with basketball as well again.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Feb 14, 2006 -> 08:11 PM)
As I said the other day, congrats to Ohio State and Iowa on their co championship.  I just hope Alford gets a big extension, because he still can't coach, however that group of veterans he has on this years team has really put it together.

I can't say that. Alford did a hell of a job coaching Southwest Missouri State. He obviously has had some down years in the big 10, but he's had some really good teams that were stopped by injuries (when we had Recker in here) and than it took him a while to figure things out.

I think he's learned that its better to have character guys (like Horner/Brunner/etc) as opposed to pure talent guys like Pierce that are total pricks. He's done a great job getting the team prepared and I don't think there is a team in the conference that runs better plays out of timeouts and I've been watching a ton of big 10 ball this year.

Plus, there is no way you aren't doing a good coaching job when your taking a team that was picked by no one (but myself) to be in the upper echelon of the big 10 (obviously there is still time left so anything can happen). Oh and did I mention he's done a very good job making sure these guys play consistently on defense.

I also think Alford has learned the importance of getting your younger guys some experience so when the seniors leave they may not be quite as raw as originally expected (that said I still expect a down year next year). Although Henderson/Freeman/Thompson/Haluska isn't too shabby, they'd really have to all step up for it to turn into something better.

Right now...Alford would get my vote for Big 10 coach of the year.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Feb 14, 2006 -> 08:13 PM)
True, but take down the "NCAA Tournament" banners, that's just basically a confession of mediocrity by the program, and you guys are better than that.

Why judge...just worry about the Illini. We also have like a zillion national championship titles in wrestling and of course 5 national championships in football.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Feb 14, 2006 -> 10:19 PM)
\

Plus, there is no way you aren't doing a good coaching job when your taking a team that was picked by no one (but myself)

Had to get that in there. :lol:

I give Thad the slight edge there for now.

Edited by Rowand44

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Feb 14, 2006 -> 11:19 PM)
I can't say that.  Alford did a hell of a job coaching Southwest Missouri State.  He obviously has had some down years in the big 10, but he's had some really good teams that were stopped by injuries (when we had Recker in here) and than it took him a while to figure things out.

I think he's learned that its better to have character guys (like Horner/Brunner/etc) as opposed to pure talent guys like Pierce that are total pricks.  He's done a great job getting the team prepared and I don't think there is a team in the conference that runs better plays out of timeouts and I've been watching a ton of big 10 ball this year. 

Plus, there is no way you aren't doing a good coaching job when your taking a team that was picked by no one (but myself) to be in the upper echelon of the big 10 (obviously there is still time left so anything can happen).  Oh and did I mention he's done a very good job making sure these guys play consistently on defense. 

I also think Alford has learned the importance of getting your younger guys some experience so when the seniors leave they may not be quite as raw as originally expected (that said I still expect a down year next year).  Although Henderson/Freeman/Thompson/Haluska isn't too shabby, they'd really have to all step up for it to turn into something better. 

Just keep him away from IU.

Had to get that in there. :lol:

I give Thad the slight edge there for now.

I just based that on expectations. I'd have zero problem with it going to him. If Michigan finds a way back I'd also look at Amaker.

Note, I should say that I don't think even I would have said they'd win the big 10 cause I thought MSU would run away with it, but aside from MSU I said Iowa could be as good as anyone else in the conference.

All that said...there is still a lot of basketball left. I'm just really proud of the Hawks. Its been a while since they've had this type of year. I still think back to the team with Recker and wonder what could have been had he not totally jacked up his knee. That team was good.

We also almost beat Uconn when they won the tourney with Rip Hamilton in the Sweet 16 or Elite 8 (I think it was Sweet 16).