Official College Basketball Thread

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Feb 15, 2006 -> 08:01 PM)
It'd be a long shot, but it almost sounds like it could happen.  Davis kept saying he wants to be here for the rest of his life, etc.  I wonder if there's any way we can keep him as an assistant.  That'd be great.  All the pressure off him, and he could do what he does best, recruit.

I was talking about that with a fellow hoosier fan the other day. I dont know if Davis would go for that though.

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Soxbadger @ Feb 15, 2006 -> 03:35 PM)
So if DJ White does not get injured, are we having any of these Davis discussions?

That's a tough one to say. When they struggle, their problems seem to be in the backcourt, not up front. Maybe White gives them another solid scoring option and takes a little pressure off, but I'm not entirely sure they're at the top of the conference even if he is healthy.

QUOTE(Soxbadger @ Feb 15, 2006 -> 08:35 PM)
So if DJ White does not get injured, are we having any of these Davis discussions?

i'm guessing so. really it's been a running topic ever since he took over. even when they were in the nc game half the talk was about how these were knight's guys.

davis was in a no-win situation, imo, as are most coaches who follow a legend. it didn't help that right from the jump it was obvious there was a rift between knight and he. anyone on the edge was going to tip against him at that point.

and clearly davis hasn't helped himself. to me the most damaging thing has been the lack of ability to keep top kids home. kids like mcroberts, oden, conley and gordon are all leaving indiana. that's a ton of talent to let walk, although i'm sure persistent talk about his tenuous future didn't help.

the only criticisms of davis i can't understand are criticisms of his behavior, either on the court or in the media. no bob knight fan has any business complaining about mike davis's behavior.

QUOTE(thedoctor @ Feb 15, 2006 -> 03:41 PM)
the only criticisms of davis i can't understand are criticisms of his behavior, either on the court or in the media. no bob knight fan has any business complaining about mike davis's behavior.

Good point. I've never really been much of a Knight guy, and I've really stood by Davis until recently. However, it was pretty foolish for him to do all those interviews on Saturday, if he was too sick to coach a basketball game.

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Feb 15, 2006 -> 08:44 PM)
Good point.  I've never really been much of a Knight guy, and I've really stood by Davis until recently.  However, it was pretty foolish for him to do all those interviews on Saturday, if he was too sick to coach a basketball game.

yes, this whole week's worth of interviews with him has been bizarre.

QUOTE(Felix @ Feb 15, 2006 -> 03:47 PM)
So.. what are the odds Minnesota takes out Michigan tonight?

I doubt it will happen, mainly because the game is in Michigan, but who knows.  I doubted Minnesota would beat MSU and PSU too :P

Any Big Ten team can beat Michigan if Harris and Abrams are in street clothes. Horton and Sims are good, and I kind of like Coleman, but that's just not enough firepower, especially considering how inconsistent the offensive production of the first two is.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Feb 15, 2006 -> 12:39 PM)
I can't believe UNI and SIU lost last night, talk about blowing it big time.

We didn't play well but Bradley is near unbeatable at home. They've lost 1 game this year at home and that was to WSU. They've beat us, Creighton, UNI and Missouri State in Peoria.

Edited by Rowand44

I just always have a problem when a coach gets blamed after one of their best players gets injured. I mean its impossible to say what would have happened, but people need to give the coach a little rope.

The biggest knock on Davis should be,

Why was he unable to land Oden, etc?

That is a major issue, the play of the team this year, thats more debatable.

QUOTE(thedoctor @ Feb 15, 2006 -> 11:42 AM)
for the first time this year the ncaa is releasing the rpi it uses to rank teams for the tournament. these rankings will come out each week. for intents and purposes of tournament selection, this is the only rpi that matters and it directly effects the seeding process.

ncaa rpi

Ken Pomeroy has it down perfectly...

They don't match now, but yesterday at noon, they looked the same.

Ohio State and Iowa jumped Texas, who got dragged down simply for having to play Baylor.

http://kenpom.com/rpi.php

Edited by Gene Honda Civic

QUOTE(thedoctor @ Feb 15, 2006 -> 11:42 AM)
for the first time this year the ncaa is releasing the rpi it uses to rank teams for the tournament. these rankings will come out each week. for intents and purposes of tournament selection, this is the only rpi that matters and it directly effects the seeding process.

ncaa rpi

2nd time actually. ;)

QUOTE(Soxbadger @ Feb 15, 2006 -> 04:21 PM)
I just always have a problem when a coach gets blamed after one of their best players gets injured. I mean its impossible to say what would have happened, but people need to give the coach a little rope.

Well it's not only about that though. He's 55-50 since the championship run. With Indiana's history, do you think that's going to be accepted? It's been said for a couple years now that this would be the year he'd able to get things rolling. True, DJ got hurt, but Davis, himself has harped that wasn't a problem.

http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/arti...446/1004/SPORTS

"If we don't win the way I think we should win, they won't have to fire me,'' Davis said after Tuesday's practice at Assembly Hall. "I'll walk away. I'll walk away.''

Then he paused. "But you know what? This is the best team I've ever had. Even though we've lost two starters (D.J. White and A.J. Ratliff, both to injury), this team is still 10 times better than any I've had.''

Davis' only problem wasn't having players get hurt.

When Indiana was dominant, the Big 10 was different.

There is just to much parity these days, and yes you want your program to be what it used to be, but I think that may be a dream that is unattainable at this point. Even Michigan is down, and they are a blue chip program in almost every area.

Its easy for Wisconsin coach's, prior to the last decade all the teams sucked, so now that they are even remotely good everyone loves them.

QUOTE(Soxbadger @ Feb 15, 2006 -> 09:21 PM)

Davis' main problem is that he has no ability to adjust. The team played without White for the first seven games and were 5-2 with a win over Kentucky and a respectable showing against Duke. DJ only played in 5 games never playing more than 23 minutes in a game.

The team is now playing worse than they have at any point this season, with or without DJ White. They completely tanked it at Minnesota. If Killingsworth is in foul trouble or just decides not to play hard (which has happened) then IU is toast. They have made no adjustments whatsoever.

Injuries are part of college basketball. Mike Davis would probably be getting a break due to that injury if his teams were playing with effort and intensity. If they didn't look like they were out of shape, always tiring in the 2nd half. If they knew how to defend an out of bounds play... or score on one themselves.

If you watch IU play, it isn't all about the wins and losses. And every time there is any criticism, Davis gets defensive and tries to build a wall between that criticism and "his" team. He is criticizing the fans. He makes excuses. He cannot unite a fan base but finds ways to divide it from his team.

Unfortunately, Mike Davis has become his own worst enemy. He can recruit, but he still just misses on so many top players. It has become clear to me that Mike Davis was never ready for a head coaching job of this magnitude regardless of the situation before him. If you really think about it, how many players in his tenure have really become much better players while playing for him? I can't think of too many, if any.

Mike is a class guy from every angle I have heard, but he is not capable of being the Head Coach at Indiana University. It's time for him to move on, injury to DJ White or not. I wish him well and could see him as a good fit as a top assistant at Alabama, if Mark Gottfried had any brains.

QUOTE(ZoomSlowik @ Feb 15, 2006 -> 04:13 PM)
Any Big Ten team can beat Michigan if Harris and Abrams are in street clothes. Horton and Sims are good, and I kind of like Coleman, but that's just not enough firepower, especially considering how inconsistent the offensive production of the first two is.

;)

Indiana up 35-31 at Penn State. A game of runs so far. Indiana started out fast, and then let Penn State get back into it, and get up by as many as 6. IU then went on a nice run, led by Ratliff (11 points in the half) to get out of the half with a lead.

This isn't going to be easy, but Indiana can definitely take this. Keep it up Hoosiers!