Official College Basketball Thread

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(ZoomSlowik @ Feb 17, 2006 -> 10:24 AM)
South Florida, DePaul, St. Johns (although they did come up with two fairly big wins), Providence, and frankly Rutgers isn't that good (Douby is a stud though). I don't think any of those teams are any better than Penn State or NU.

I do. DePaul, St. Johns, Providence, and Rutgers could easily beat those teams.

And I watched DePaul beat nw in person by 10, and it was never really that close.

But again, like I said, I understand that there's a b10 bias on here.

How many Big East teams were in the Elite 8 last year?

How many in the Final 4?

And how many in the Championship game?

To say that the bottom half of the league would be Big 10 title contenders is just a statement to incite the masses.

As for bias, I would say that each individual has their own bias, and that it does not necessarily mean that are biased towards the whole Big 10.

Since you didnt bring any stats here are some games played between the conferences:

Marquette: 12/10 at Wisconsin L 77-63

Pitt: 12/31 #22 Wisconsin W 73-64

Now Im just going to go out on a limb and say if Pitt plays at Wisconsin, its a Wisconsin win.

The top 2 Big Eat teams, Nova and Uconn are more talented than the top Big 10 teams. After that I have a hard time believing, WV, Pitt, or Georgetown would have a significantly better record in the Big 10 than MSU, Illinois, Wisconsin, OSU, or Iowa.

In the tournament though I think that the Big 10 can do just as well as the Big East really.

QUOTE(SleepyWhiteSox @ Feb 17, 2006 -> 03:37 PM)
I do.  DePaul, St. Johns, Providence, and Rutgers could easily beat those teams.

And I watched DePaul beat nw in person by 10, and it was never really that close.

But again, like I said, I understand that there's a b10 bias on here.

One head to head game doesn't mean all that much, especially when it's in early November. Marcus Heard and Marlon Brumfield both had double figures against them, that just shows you how fluky it was. Also, Hachad got hurt and only played 11 minutes. He's usually a major factor any time NU makes a run. Plus that scrub Scott doesn't play as much any more, and Moore and Cote have more experience now. I've watched both teams several times, and although DePaul is more talented they don't have anyone that can shoot and have a low basketball IQ. I'd say they're about the same. Rutgers is virtually the same team as NU: one star and a bunch of mediocrity. Unless Douby goes nuts, they're not beating anyone good. I'd say Penn State is a little better than any of these 3.

St. John's has a couple of good wins, but as a whole aren't very impressive. I guess they might be a little better, but they're really only 5 deep. I guess the same could go for Providence, although I'm not overly impressed with their roster. They haven't beaten a single team with any talent this year.

These guys would all be in the same spot as NU, Penn State, Minnesota and Purdue. None of them are good enough to consistently beat anyone that's good, much like those 3. They might be able to beat a few of those teams head 2 head, but that's like arguing which one is the tallest midget. None of them are so much better that they are could finish higher than 8th in the Big Ten.

I wouldn't say I have a Big Ten bias. I know that they don't have any really solid teams and that any of the top 5 in the Big East could be neck and neck with Iowa at the top. I just don't think the bottom of their conference is that solid, outside of Louisville and Notre Dame. I also think the middle group is fairly good, but I'm not sure any of them would be able to win the Big 10.

Edited by ZoomSlowik

QUOTE(Soxbadger @ Feb 17, 2006 -> 03:57 PM)
The top 2 Big Eat teams, Nova and Uconn are more talented than the top Big 10 teams. After that I have a hard time believing, WV, Pitt, or Georgetown would have a significantly better record in the Big 10 than MSU, Illinois, Wisconsin, OSU, or Iowa.

In the tournament though I think that the Big 10 can do just as well as the Big East really.

I definitely think a couple of those teams would be right in the thick of the Big Ten race. WV, Pitt, and Georgetown are definitely better than Michigan, Indiana and Wisconsin and can probably hang with MSU, Illinois, OSU, and Iowa, especially at home. In fact they could probably be on top of the conference, although I think they'd all end up with at least 2-4 losses by the end of the season depending on how many times they have to go on the road against those 4 teams. I don't think that they'd end up with more than 5 though.

Edited by ZoomSlowik

I dont know.

Personally I think the Big East and other East coast conferences get really over rated.

Marquette beat Uconn, Wisconsin thrashed Marquette.

WVU lost to Marshall at home

Georgetown lost to Illinois, Marquette, and Vanderbilt (at home)

Pitt beat Wisconsin at home, and all of its losses have been away at conference opponents (kind of like Big 10 great at home).

I just dont see how these teams are definitely better than Indiana, Michigan, and Wisconsin (I dont get how Wisconsin is not in the top group as outside of the Purdue loss they have won every game that they should have). Wisconsin only lost to Pitt, the best of the 3, at their home court by less than 10. Wisconsin's away losses to the Big 10, Michigan, Purdue, and OSU were all by almost the exact same figure.

I know Im only using Wisconsin, but that is the team Im most familiar with. I guess people fail to mention MSU beat BC, Illinois beat Georgetown.

So, it's bracketbuster weekend. Albany-VCU leads it off tonight and then you get a pretty damn good game with Akron-Nevada tonight as well. IMO the two marquee games are Bucknell-UNI and George Mason-Wichita State, 4 teams right there thatt will get at larges if they don't win their conference tourny's. Another pretty damn good one and a bubble game is Missouri State- UW Milwaukee. We got the shaft to be perfectly honest, we're playing a Louisiana Tech team who is somewhere in the 80's in rpi. A win virtually does nothing for us and a loss hurts quite a bit. Not only that but this is definitely not going to be an easy game as they have an absolute stud in Paul Millsap who is going to lead the nation 3 years in a row in rebounding. Should be a fun weekend of mid major play. By the way we're on espn 2 at 5 tomorrow. :)

QUOTE(Soxbadger @ Feb 17, 2006 -> 05:04 PM)
I dont know.

Personally I think the Big East and other East coast conferences get really over rated.

Marquette beat Uconn, Wisconsin thrashed Marquette.

WVU lost to Marshall at home

Georgetown lost to Illinois, Marquette, and Vanderbilt (at home)

Pitt beat Wisconsin at home, and all of its losses have been away at conference opponents (kind of like Big 10 great at home).

I just dont see how these teams are definitely better than Indiana, Michigan, and Wisconsin (I dont get how Wisconsin is not in the top group as outside of the Purdue loss they have won every game that they should have). Wisconsin only lost to Pitt, the best of the 3, at their home court by less than 10. Wisconsin's away losses to the Big 10, Michigan, Purdue, and OSU were all by almost the exact same figure.

I know Im only using Wisconsin, but that is the team Im most familiar with. I guess people fail to mention MSU beat BC, Illinois beat Georgetown.

Game results comparing two teams using a common opponent is a really bad way to look at things, especially when comparing home and road games against the same opponent. Marquette may have beat UConn, but Novak had the game of his life, while he shot poorly against Wisconsin. It was also Marcus Williams' first night back from suspension. UConn still should have beaten them, but that doesn't in any way imply that Wisconsin could hang with UConn.

Picking out any one game to use as a measure is even more brutal. Using the same logic, I could say that Wisconsin sucks because they lost to North Dakota State, or that Michigan State isn't any good because they lost to Hawaii, or that Illinois is an easy out in the tourney because they lost to Penn State. You're always going to be able to find a couple of games where good teams struggled or lost, that doesn't really mean anything. OSU is the only Big Ten team that hasn't lost to a conference dog, and only Illinois and OSU didn't have another out of conference.

The list of teams that they've beat is also more impressive, with the posible exception of Illinois. Georgetown has beat Duke and Pitt, which counteracts any damage that might have been done by an early season loss to Vanderbilt and a loss to Marquette. Pitt beat Wisconsin and West Virginia. The Mountaineers have beat Villanova, Georgetown twice, Oklahoma, and UCLA. In general, the Big East teams have more impressive results.

I'll tell you why these guys are definitely better than the middle of the pack Big Ten teams. Wisconsin is relying very heavily on two players to carry them and benefit from a huge homecourt advantage that is a large reason why they win a few against better teams at home, Michigan doesn't play any defense and has some injury problems, and Indiana can't get consistent production out of anyone but Killingsworth. Those teams are deeper, play better defense, and Pitt and West Virginia have better top scorers than the others.

Edited by ZoomSlowik

There is really no way to compare teams, every game one player may have the game of his life, or may have the worst game.

Looking at Wisconsin, against ND State they shot 22% which is basically the lowest percentage Ive ever seen a team shoot. It also was coming off 2 of their players being suspended.

It just is very hard for me to believe that Wisconsin who beat:

OSU, MSU, Indiana, and Iowa

Are not in the same category as:

MSU, Iowa, Illinois, and OSU

Especially if you consider the past few years.

(edit)

Also most teams rely on 1 or 2 great players and if those players dont do well they dont succeed.

Not sure how many teams have 3 All conference players on their teams, but Kam Taylor and Tucker are pretty good compliments, especially with Bush and Nixon.

Edited by Soxbadger

QUOTE(Soxbadger @ Feb 17, 2006 -> 06:34 PM)
There is really no way to compare teams, every game one player may have the game of his life, or may have the worst game.

Looking at Wisconsin, against ND State they shot 22% which is basically the lowest percentage Ive ever seen a team shoot. It also was coming off 2 of their players being suspended.

It just is very hard for me to believe that Wisconsin who beat:

OSU, MSU, Indiana, and Iowa

Are not in the same category as:

MSU, Iowa, Illinois, and OSU

Especially if you consider the past few years.

(edit)

Also most teams rely on 1 or 2 great players and if those players dont do well they dont succeed.

Not sure how many teams have 3 All conference players on their teams, but Kam Taylor and Tucker are pretty good compliments, especially with Bush and Nixon.

I'll agree, it is very difficult to compare different teams. You really have to watch a lot of basketball to get a good idea of what is going on with all of these different teams.

Personally, I don't like to consider what teams did in previous years when looking at this year's team, at least not this far into the season. Very few players drastically improve or drastically regress this late in the year.

My definition of "relying" on one or two great players is a little different. Obviously every team is going to have one or two players that they go to in crunch time, but some teams have fewer solid contributors outside of those players than others, making the contributions of those key players much more important. Teams like that generally have less balance and have a harder time excelling (unless those two players are really good). Of the non-dog Big Ten teams, Wisconsin probably relies on their top two players more than anyone. Tucker and Taylor really carry the load, and Butch is the only thing even close to a consistent, solid contributor. Because of that, they are a little more susceptible to bad losses and need a better game to beat good teams. Of the good teams in the Big Ten, only OSU and a healthy Michigan team have a diverse group of players (more than 4) that have the ability to seriously alter a game.

Now, back to the Big East teams. Pitt is similar to Wisconsin, but In my opinion their top two players are better. Gray and Krauser are both playing pretty well. On top of that, they have several other players that can really make a difference in the game, while Wisconsin really doesn't have that many options outside of their big two. West Virginia is another team like that. Pittsnoggle and Gansey do a ton for them, and they have a few other guards that can hit enough shots to do some damage. I'm not a huge fan of their team, but they seem to play good enough defense to make up for it. Georgetown doesn't those two elite players, but they're very balanced. Bowman, Green, Hibbert, and Cook all have the ability to beat you almost single-handedly on a given night, and they have a few other solid contributors.

Those teams are a bit more balanced than most of the Big Ten teams. That's why I personally think that they would be serious contenders if they could switch leagues.

Tougher road game for Iowa today. Well its tough since all road games seem to be trouble in the big 10 and Minny has played spoiler against a few clubs already and gave Iowa a hell of a time in Iowa City.

Alford, I hope you got these guys prepared and that they'll go out and play there game. Come on Hawkeyes!!!

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Feb 18, 2006 -> 11:41 AM)
When will it be known what happens to tOSU, as far as punishment, if they get any?  Any ideas/guesses?

There will be no more punishment. You may not remember but they did do self imposed sanctions. There were ineligible for tournament play for two years.

QUOTE(THEWOOD @ Feb 18, 2006 -> 12:45 PM)
There will be no more punishment.  You may not remember but they did do self imposed sanctions.  There were ineligible for tournament play for two years.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/news/story?id=2319357

Not according to this. Supposedly the new info about Jim O'Brien could affect the outcome.