Official College Basketball Thread

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The definition of a choke: On the bubble, need to win out to get to the ncaa's and you go and lose to the worst f***in team in conference. Pathetic, pathetic, pathetic, pathetic, pathetic, pathetic.

Unf***inbelievable. God damn it.

Edited by Rowand44

QUOTE(IlliniKrush @ Feb 22, 2006 -> 01:57 AM)
How is that a foul? Should have been a jump. f***ing brutal.

It was a foul. Grabbed his forearm first, before sliding down to the ball. It was hard to see with the angle they were showing, but when they went back to the 2nd angle you could see it. I thought I saw it the first time and that confirmed it. The forearm just happened to be right in front of Sanzere (sp?).

Damn, SIU can say hello to the NIT now. I must say I am shocked. This may sound weird because I am an Evansville grad, but as bad as Evansville has been, I'd have rather seen SIU win to give the conference a better chance in the Tournament.

Plus, any win like this could only delay the Aces chances to get rid of their coach and start anew.

QUOTE(Rex Hudler @ Feb 21, 2006 -> 10:17 PM)
Damn, SIU can say hello to the NIT now.  I must say I am shocked.  This may sound weird because I am an Evansville grad, but as bad as Evansville has been, I'd have rather seen SIU win to give the conference a better chance in the Tournament. 

Plus, any win like this could only delay the Aces chances to get rid of their coach and start anew.

We went from a virtual lock in the ncaa tournament to what's going to be a first round exit in the nit in one week. Doesn't get much better then that. :angry:

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Feb 21, 2006 -> 11:25 PM)
We went from a virtual lock in the ncaa tournament to what's going to be a first round exit in the nit in one week.  Doesn't get much better then that. :angry:

Our's was a little more drown out, but sounds about right.

12-3, #8 in the nation and in the RPI

13-10, no rank and #43 in the RPI

f***in' great and unheard of.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Feb 22, 2006 -> 04:25 AM)
We went from a virtual lock in the ncaa tournament to what's going to be a first round exit in the nit in one week.  Doesn't get much better then that. :angry:

Maybe tonight was just about Chris Lowery giving a little back to his hometown?

I'm not going to overreact this time. I will say 2 things though:

1. Illinois needs to learn that any idiot, even yours truly, can hit a 20 foot jumper if nobody is near them.

2. I think it's becoming clear why Dee and Augie never got the ball last year in big spots. Those guys fall apart in clutch spots, and to tell you the truth, the only guy that showed any heart tonight was Shaun Pruitt. If we decide to give him the ball the next couple years, he will be a beast.

Ugh, such a bad loss.....got beat by 1 guy, lack of heart, and being stupid. I know 22-5 is good, but the way this team loses is just so painful to watch.

I'm not looking to pile on here, but let's be honest, why was Illinois ranked 8th in the country?

They have one victory over a team that was ranked in the top 25 when they played them.

Compare to #20-22 Iowa, who has 8 wins over teams ranked in the top 25 (when the game was played)

Sure, Illinois only has 5 losses, but they played exactly one tough non-conference game, and that was for the ACC-Big10 challenge.

IMO, I'd have OSU and Mich state ranked about 12-14. Iowa and Illinois 16-18, Wiscy 22nd and Mich recieving votes.

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Feb 21, 2006 -> 11:13 PM)
Sure, Illinois only has 5 losses, but they played exactly one tough non-conference game, and that was for the ACC-Big10 challenge.

Well just off the top of my head, they got the UNC game which you're referring to, they beat gtown and then also wichita state who's a top 20 rpi team.

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Feb 21, 2006 -> 09:13 PM)
I'm not looking to pile on here, but let's be honest, why was Illinois ranked 8th in the country?

They have one victory over a team that was ranked in the top 25 when they played them.

Compare to #20-22 Iowa, who has 8 wins over teams ranked in the top 25 (when the game was played)

IMO, I'd have OSU and Mich state ranked about 12-14. Iowa and Illinois 16-18, Wiscy 22nd and Mich recieving votes.

One think about Iowa is I'm pretty sure we rank 3rd in the country in wins over top 25 teams (behind Uconn and Duke). Of course I'm not about to put Iowa in the top 10 but if the Illini belong there than I'd have to say we do too.

I agree with your rankings though sans MSU. I've long said I have no idea why the Illini are ranked as high as they are. I think MSU is the most talented team in the conference but they haven't consistently played that way and I'd have both Iowa and Illinois ahead of them in the polls.

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Feb 21, 2006 -> 11:13 PM)

I've said they were over-ranked all year, and are probly around the 15th best team in the country. Some nights they are a top 10 team, some nights they are a fringe top 25 team.

Regardless, they could have won this game, that's the frustrating part. I don't think we were expecting too much hoping for a win tonight, regardless of ranking. So many chances to get it done, and didn't.

Also, i don't know how much i buy the "what they were ranked when you played them" argument. You can only take it so far, you know?

QUOTE(Jimbo's Drinker @ Feb 22, 2006 -> 06:26 AM)
My Webpage

Julian Wright is so damn good.

I could never imagine the Jayhawks could be ranked higher than Illini going into the tourney, barring an impossible victory in Austin.

Julian could very well be a missing link for the Illini this year. They could really use a high energy creator. Rather, they just have Dee floating on the outside with his poor point guard skills. As a matter of fact, Kansas fans better hope Julian cools down a little. If he keeps up this level of play, some team might promise him a lottery selection this year.

QUOTE(fathom @ Feb 22, 2006 -> 01:02 AM)
Julian could very well be a missing link for the Illini this year.  They could really use a high energy creator.  Rather, they just have Dee floating on the outside with his poor point guard skills.  As a matter of fact, Kansas fans better hope Julian cools down a little.  If he keeps up this level of play, some team might promise him a lottery selection this year.

I would not count on that...i know his family well, his mom said her boy is getting a degree.

QUOTE(Jimbo's Drinker @ Feb 22, 2006 -> 07:05 AM)
I would not count on that...i know his family well, his mom said her boy is getting a degree.

Ah, not to turn this into a pissing contest, but I have close friends who've known Julian since he was a freshman in high school. Julian will go to the NBA as soon as he's a guaranteed lottery pick. He considered jumping straight to the pros out of high school, but the consensus was he wouldn't be a first round pick. I'll be happy to share who I know in a PM if you'd like. BTW, I'd love to see Julian, Rush, and Chalmers stay around next year. They're a terrific trio.