Official College Basketball Thread

QUOTE(fathom @ Feb 22, 2006 -> 01:11 AM)
Ah, not to turn this into a pissing contest, but I have close friends who've known Julian since he was a freshman in high school.  Julian will go to the NBA as soon as he's a guaranteed lottery pick.  He considered jumping straight to the pros out of high school, but the consensus was he wouldn't be a first round pick.  I'll be happy to share who I know in a PM if you'd like.   BTW, I'd love to see Julian, Rush, and Chalmers stay around next year.  They're a terrific trio.

I think all players go pro as soon as they are a lottery pick except for very rare exceptions. And why wouldn't you? You could have guaranteed millions and be set for life for playing a game or stay in college, have to go to class, and make nothing. Pretty simple decision.

Edited by whitesoxfan99

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(IlliniKrush @ Feb 22, 2006 -> 02:25 AM)
2 interesting stats:

- We've given up 38 3s in our last 4 Big Ten losses

- In conference, we have outscored our opponents by 74 points in the first half. We have been outscored by our opponents by 5 points in the second half.

They need to move the 3 line back.

QUOTE(Jimbo's Drinker @ Feb 22, 2006 -> 02:36 AM)
They need to move the 3 line back.

Yeah they do, but the Illini also need to defend it, regardless of where it is. It's getting laughable the lack of perimeter defense, the Illini win comfortably last year if they simply get hands in the face of the perimeter shooters.

I would not count on that...i know his family well, his mom said her boy is getting a degree

He can leave early and still get a degree, although I wouldn't worry now, he's not going anywhere until after next season at the earliest.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE(fathom @ Feb 22, 2006 -> 02:02 AM)
Julian could very well be a missing link for the Illini this year.  They could really use a high energy creator.  Rather, they just have Dee floating on the outside with his poor point guard skills.  As a matter of fact, Kansas fans better hope Julian cools down a little.  If he keeps up this level of play, some team might promise him a lottery selection this year.

I disagree that Julian Wright would be the difference maker for us. IMO the player we could most 'use' from Kansas would be Brandon Rush. We are missing a 2 guard that can get his own shot. We don't have a player who can have the ball in his hands down the stretch and get off a shot under diress. Dee is a very good college player. He has certain things that he can do well. But we are sorely missing consistent production from our off guard position this year. That and our poor free throw shooting will be our demise come march.

QUOTE(Chisoxrd5 @ Feb 22, 2006 -> 02:12 PM)
I disagree that Julian Wright would be the difference maker for us. IMO the player we could most 'use' from Kansas would be Brandon Rush. We are missing a 2 guard that can get his own shot. We don't have a player who can have the ball in his hands down the stretch and get off a shot under diress. Dee is a very good college player. He has certain things that he can do well. But we are sorely missing consistent production from our off guard position this year. That and our poor free throw shooting will be our demise come march.

very good points. this team has not really developed a consistent offensive option from the guard spot this year. mcbride and smith have played well at times, but they are streaky three-point shooters who don't offer much more than that on offense.

the frustrating thing is that i do think in pruitt we've begin to see the development of a better inside offensive game, but there is no complementary outside game that would give you a nice inside-outside balance.

most concerning to me, though, is this team's defensive lapses. i've said many times that this team will go as far as its defense. clearly that is the best part of its game. however, the defense has been really spotty lately, and most disconcerting it's been spotty at the most crucial points of the game.

QUOTE(thedoctor @ Feb 22, 2006 -> 09:58 AM)
very good points. this team has not really developed a consistent offensive option from the guard spot this year. mcbride and smith have played well at times, but they are streaky three-point shooters who don't offer much more than that on offense.

the frustrating thing is that i do think in pruitt we've begin to see the development of a better inside offensive game, but there is no complementary outside game that would give you a nice inside-outside balance.

most concerning to me, though, is this team's defensive lapses. i've said many times that this team will go as far as its defense. clearly that is the best part of its game. however, the defense has been really spotty lately, and most disconcerting it's been spotty at the most crucial points of the game.

Could not agree more on Rush. McBride has been a lot better recently except in games against OSU and Michigan. In both those games he was defended by an athletic guard, and against those types of players he disappears. And Jamar just does not seem to really understand what he is doing out there. He's a very good shooter, but that is all that he is right now. If this team had someone other than Dee who could create their own shot, they would be a legitimate top 5 team IMO.

I also agree on Pruitt, I've watched him closely this year and he is a very emotional player. He works very hard for position and gets very upset when he does not get the ball. If he can cut down on the stupid fouls and get in a bit better condition, he will be a monster before he is done in Champaign.

Thank God.

A win for the first time since the first of the month. Mike Davis got a decent reception when they announced his name, which was nice and finally means this is all over.

Strickland was huge tonight; we needed someone to step up like that. Killingsworth had a pretty clean game too, with 14 points and 7 boards. The bench provided some good minutes and contribution which was a nice change.

Got to protect home court on Senior Day (Sunday) against a tough Michigan State to keep hope alive.