Official College Basketball Thread

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great Alaska Shootout Preview

This is one of the weakest fields in the GAS's histroy, yet remains one of the strongest preseason tournaments this year. Featured are only a couple of major conference teams, such as Marquette and both USCs.

1st Round Predictions

Oral Roberts over Southern California

Marqutte over Eastern Washington

South Carolina over University 0f Alaska-Anchorage

Southern Illinois over Monmouth

That first game between USC and Oral Roberts should be a very good one. Make sure to watch on ESPN2. I like ORU winning behind Mid-Con Player of the Year Caleb Green. All the other 1st round match-ups should be decisive victories for the winning team.

2nd Round-Consolation

Southern California over Eastern Washington

Monmouth over UAA

USC should win easy over Eastern Washington. Monmouth should also cruise to set-up the 5th place game.

2nd Round

Oral Roberts over Marquette

South Carolina over Southern Illinois

Oral Roberts should win their 2nd consectutive game vs. a big conference opponent. The game should be another close one though. The other semi-final should be just as exciting. Although the Salukis lost do it all man Darren Brooks, you should never expect a down year from them. I still like reigning NIT champ USC in this one. They should be able to simply out talent So Ill.

Place Games

Eastern Washington over UAA for 7th place

Southern California over Monmouth for 5th place

Southern Illinois over Marquette for 3rd place

South Carolina over Oral Roberts for the Championship

Marquette won't be happy leaving Alsaska with 2 losses, especially with this weak field. Southern Illinois should be happy, however. They take 3rd place in a tournament usually dominted by bigger conference teams.

Southern California should cruise in its final 2 games, after letting ORU beat them in the opening game. Monmouth shouldn't pose any problems for the Trojans in the consolation championship game.

The other USC should be the champions of this tournament. Their biggest test will be in the semis vs. the Salukis, though Oral Roberts is no team to overlook either. This should reallt boost their confidence, and I really believe they can contend in the SEC EAST. All they have to do is score a little bit more.

I'm somewhat surprised that UConn beat Gonzaga in their current state. I thought that they were going to lose this one and then cruise until January 3rd when Williams is back (think the best team they play in that stretch is UMass). They played some good defense and have some good players. Brown and Anderson are both pretty solid, and Gay and Boone are very talented. Imagine what they will do when the first three guys don't have to worry about ball-handling, and the benefit for Boone when they can run their offense more smoothly and he gets better post feeds.

I'm somewhat surprised that UConn beat Gonzaga in their current state. I thought that they were going to lose this one and then cruise until January 3rd when Williams is back (think the best team they play in that stretch is UMass). They played some good defense and have some good players. Brown and Anderson are both pretty solid, and Gay and Boone are very talented. Imagine what they will do when the first three guys don't have to worry about ball-handling, and the benefit for Boone when they can run their offense more smoothly and he gets better post feeds.

UConn is fantastic, with Duke's weakness showing tonight against Drexel(athleticism), UConn should be in the drivers seat right now, even without Williams. Also, Demarcus Nelson hurt his ankle, so that could cause some big problems.

Just think, UConn could have had Charlie Villenueva and Andrew Bynum on the team this year as well. That would have been nasty. Almost as much as UNC last year if JR Smith, JamesOn Curry, and Dwight Howard would have matriculated to Chapel Hill.

QUOTE(AssHatSoxFan @ Nov 25, 2005 -> 06:00 PM)
seriously we need to work on the offense majorly if we plan to have any chance in the Big 10 this year

it's just going to be a matter of the young guys settling into the offense. The motion offense we run is all about being comfortable in it and having experience with it. We should have all expected these bumps early on this season.

The Illini offense will improve a lot as soon as they stop with the Dee Brown at PG nonsense, moving him to off guard, and let Pruitt and Augustine have more free reign to attack inside. Their defense did look pretty good tonight though I thought, Wichita State isn't all that bad a team.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

Illini 77

Rutgers 57

5-0.

5 Easy games, 4 easy wins.

With a young team, i was expecting something to go wrong in one of these early games, that seemed to have happened last night, but we pulled it out.

:headbang

Oh yeah, and i can finally take this dirty IU sig off.