Official College Basketball Thread

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2006 @ Mar 5, 2006 -> 03:22 AM)
I am now 100% convinced that Duke is overrated.

Redick's last 4 games:

5/22

3/10

10/28

5/21

Just a slump?  Or are teams starting to figure him out?

Neither, Coach K has ran him and everybody in the Duke rotation into the ground by refusing to play his young talent and use his potentially deep bench. As a result, Duke is dying and I expect them to not last long in the dance. Duke's best chance is to lose in their 1st ACC Tourney game and get more rest.

QUOTE(Palehosefan @ Mar 5, 2006 -> 11:00 AM)
Tyler wouldn't be drafted over big guys like Aldridge, Bargnani, Tyrus Thomas, Al Horford, Shelden Williams, Hilton Armstrong etc, which would put him out of the lottery. He has alot of stuff to work on as a player, he just gets his stats from pure hustle and relentlessness. He's still a poor defender, average rebounder, and still gets worn down late in games. He has no reason to leave, as he's not going to be drafted over Oden even if he averages 50 ppg next year :-), and he has a legitimate post player coming in next year to take the double teams off of him, and he has an amazing PG coming in that will keep him fed down low. Not to mention his family is well off as well, but if he's a guaranteed lottery pick, I couldn't fault him. I just REALLY don't see that happening. Even a guy like Glen Davis would be jockeying with Tyler for draft positions this year.

Alright then. I asked you because I know you're the UNC guru. I know he wouldn't have a chance in hell of being drafted over Oden. That's why I was thinking it might be better for him to come out now.

To call JJ Redick overrated is just idiotic.

The guy is the No. 1 leading scorer in ACC history.

How could he be overrated?

Hate Duke all you want (and I do) but I can at least admit that Redick is a super talent who deserves a lot of credit for the s*** he puts up with on a daily basis from opposing fans. Like him or not, the guy is a flat out stud on the court. And based on recent interviews I've seen on him, particularly one with TK and Wilbon on PTI, he seems pretty classy and level headed as well.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Mar 5, 2006 -> 03:04 PM)
Nice Top 10 Seth, UNC ahead of Illinois even though we have a better overall record playing in a better league and beat them on their floor.  What a dumbass, although we knew that already.

UNC right now and UNC early in the year are two totally different teams.

Not saying they are better than Illinois, but they're a helluva lot better than they player earlier this year.

UNC is one team I would not want to face right now, especially if they keep up their play as of late.

QUOTE(aboz56 @ Mar 5, 2006 -> 02:07 PM)
UNC right now and UNC early in the year are two totally different teams.

Not saying they are better than Illinois, but they're a helluva lot better than they player earlier this year.

UNC is one team I would not want to face right now, especially if they keep up their play as of late.

UNC is a damn good team, and are much better now then they were when we played them.....but we are a lot better now than we were then too, and we still beat them on their floor. Even if the Illini had beat UNC at home, I could see him doing that, but we went into their house and took their T.V. I just can't see UNC ranked ahead of the Illini as a result, all things considered. Either way, both teams are playing well though.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE(aboz56 @ Mar 5, 2006 -> 02:06 PM)

Hate Duke all you want (and I do) but I can at least admit that Redick is a super talent who deserves a lot of credit for the s*** he puts up with on a daily basis from opposing fans.  Like him or not, the guy is a flat out stud on the court.  And based on recent interviews I've seen on him, particularly one with TK and Wilbon on PTI, he seems pretty classy and level headed as well.

J.J. is out of gas, just like he was the last 3 years in March. Coach K has ALWAYS played him too much, all 4 years. Nobody will call out Coach Krepaweraskiwoe though since he's the greatest ever, even though he has had enough talent to win several more titles than the 3 he has.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Mar 5, 2006 -> 03:13 PM)
J.J. is out of gas, just like he was the last 3 years in March.  Coach K has ALWAYS played him too much, all 4 years.  Nobody will call out Coach Krepaweraskiwoe though since he's the greatest ever, even though he has had enough talent to win several more titles than the 3 he has.

As I said, calling him overrated is idiotic.

He might be out of gas and if he is, it's from carrying that team on his back all year.

QUOTE(aboz56 @ Mar 5, 2006 -> 02:14 PM)
As I said, calling him overrated is idiotic.

He might be out of gas and if he is, it's from carrying that team on his back all year.

I know, I was just backing you up with why he's struggling. It happens every year, and J.J. gets the blame as a choker. To be honest, I hate Duke with a passion and have never liked J.J., but my opinion of him has changed a lot this year. I really respect the kid a lot for all he's done and gone through. I still think Shelden Williams is a big dope who would foul out of every game if he didn't go to Duke though. :P

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Mar 5, 2006 -> 05:02 PM)
Damn...I have to see Kentucky-Florida on CBS.  I really wanted to get the Nova-Cuse game.

At least you got to see Kentucky lose. That always makes for a brighter day.

:cheers

QUOTE(aboz56 @ Mar 5, 2006 -> 08:06 PM)

Hate Duke all you want (and I do) but I can at least admit that Redick is a super talent who deserves a lot of credit for the s*** he puts up with on a daily basis from opposing fans.  Like him or not, the guy is a flat out stud on the court.  And based on recent interviews I've seen on him, particularly one with TK and Wilbon on PTI, he seems pretty classy and level headed as well.

I agree completely. All great shooters/scorers go through slumps and have off nights. They also sometimes put too much on themselves and that can cause them to miss shots.

Redick has become a pretty complete player, much better than I thought he would be. Bad shooting night or not, I enjoy watching him play.

Just because Redick scores a lot of points doesn't mean he isn't overrated. The only aspect of his game that is elite is his shooting. He's also probably below average as a defender, passer, and ball handler. He's a good player, but I shudder when I hear people like Dukie V say that he is the best player in ACC history. That's just a load of crap. He's definitely not in my top 10, and I don't even think he's the best Duke player.

QUOTE(ZoomSlowik @ Mar 5, 2006 -> 08:33 PM)
Just because Redick scores a lot of points doesn't mean he isn't overrated. The only aspect of his game that is elite is his shooting. He's also probably below average as a defender, passer, and ball handler. He's a good player, but I shudder when I hear people like Dukie V say that he is the best player in ACC history. That's just a load of crap. He's definitely not in my top 10, and I don't even think he's the best Duke player.

Vitale said last night he was a top 20 all-time ACC player, I don't think that is too far off.

I mean I can see why people hate Duke so much, but the endless hating of Redick is just pathetic.

Give the guy his due.

I was pretty proud of Vitale last night at one point in the game, as he stated that "Redick is probably one of the 20 best players in ACC history", that took me by suprise.

QUOTE(Palehosefan @ Mar 5, 2006 -> 08:39 PM)
I was pretty proud of Vitale last night at one point in the game, as he stated that "Redick is probably one of the 20 best players in ACC history", that took me by suprise.

Interesting, a few games ago he threw in a comment that JJ was the best in ACC history. That might be true, I don't really feel like trying to figure out how accurate that is.