18 LSU

19 West Virginia

20 Iowa

21 Nevada

22 Oklahoma

23 Georgetown

24 UAB

25 N.C. State

Others Receiving Votes: Arkansas 109, Bucknell 83, Michigan St. 67, Marquette 58,

S. Illinois 33, Texas A&M 17, San Diego St. 10, Florida St. 9, Wichita St. 8,

California 7, Hofstra 7, Air Force 5, Wisconsin 4, George Mason 3, W. Kentucky 2,

Cincinnati 1, Missouri St. 1, N.C.-Wilmington 1.

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not sure how much it means, but this comment from Illini 2007 recruit Eric Gordon was VERY interesting IMO. You have to be a premium member of scout to read to whole article, but here's the quote I speak of:

http://illinois.scout.com/2/505871.html

How committed is Eric Gordon to the University of Illinois? “Well, I’m 100% committed. But like right now, “they” the people at Indiana, are calling me a lot. They are telling me that Steve Alford is coming next year and I should think about that. But I’m going to Illinois. The Illinois coaches have been good to me; they call me all the time to see how things are going,” said Gordon.

QUOTE(AssHatSoxFan @ Mar 6, 2006 -> 11:40 PM)
that last statement about a #1 if they win the tourney is laughable especially since it is a proven fact that the winner gets no added seed benefit

if osu makes the finals i think that would at least give them a shot at a no. 1. probably either memphis or texas or both would have to stumble in their conference tournaments for the buckeyes to get a top-seed, though.

What I don't get is how Memphis is even near a No.1.

They played a good non-conference schedule, but their conference is horrible.

Hell the C-USA of last year was actually pretty good, Louisville was 29-3 and got a four seed.

Either Louisville got totally hosed last year or Memphis is being overrated.

If they are a No.1, they'll be the first No.1 seed to lose.

QUOTE(aboz56 @ Mar 6, 2006 -> 06:21 PM)

Hell the C-USA of last year was actually pretty good, Louisville was 29-3 and got a four seed. 

Excellent point on Memphis. I for one don't think they will get a number 1 because of how bad that conference really is (see the precedent established by Louisville last year). But then again, I have known to be very very wrong about tournament seedings. All I know for sure is that this should be a very entertaining week.

QUOTE(aboz56 @ Mar 6, 2006 -> 07:21 PM)

How about a little bit of column A and a little bit of column B? :P

IIRC Louisville didn't really play anyone in the pre-season. They probably should have been at least a 3 seed, but they didn't get a lot of love.

Memphis is overrated, but they played a very strong out of conference schedule and have dominated in most of their games this year. I'd be surprised if they didn't make it to the Sweet 16. After that, who knows.

One other thing to consider is that this is an unusually weak field, so teams are going to get higher seeds than they generally would. There were a lot of solid teams last year that pushed the seeding down for some other pretty good teams.

QUOTE(aboz56 @ Mar 6, 2006 -> 07:21 PM)
Let's get real here....

In all honesty I totally loathe Memphis and look for anyway to bury them.

:D

I have no problem with Memphis itself, but root against them because Coach Cal is a cheating slimeball who can kiss my ass.

QUOTE(AssHatSoxFan @ Mar 6, 2006 -> 11:40 PM)
that last statement about a #1 if they win the tourney is laughable especially since it is a proven fact that the winner gets no added seed benefit

How do you figure it is a "proven fact"??

I think it is quite safe to say that OSU will be strongly considered for a #1 seed should they win out and a couple of teams from (Duke, Villanova, Texas and Memphis) lose in their conference tournament.

Still curious where the "proven fact" comes into play.

I think it would take something pretty extraordinary for UConn and Villanova not to get #1's. Memphis has to win the league tourney to get a #1, but if they do I think they get one because of their OOC schedule. That 4th #1 probably goes to Duke unless they lose early in their league tourney. I think Nova and UConn are just about locks for #1's, with Memphis and Duke the favorites for the other 2. Ohio State and Texas are waiting in the wings in case somebody stumbles.

QUOTE(Rex Hudler @ Mar 6, 2006 -> 08:30 PM)

I think it is quite safe to say that OSU will be strongly considered for a #1 seed should they win out and a couple of teams from (Duke, Villanova, Texas and Memphis) lose in their conference tournament. 

The Big Ten Final starts too late on Sunday for the result to be factored into the seeding. The game isn't going to end until about 4:30, and the brackets are released at 5. OSU would basically have to be considered a #1 seed before the final, which doesn't seem too likely.

Edited by ZoomSlowik

QUOTE(Rex Hudler @ Mar 6, 2006 -> 07:30 PM)

I've actually heard people from the committee say that they can't figure it into account because the brackets have to already be made.

No. 1 seed or no No. 1 seed, no one wants to play Ohio State in the dance.

That is proven fact.

Also, if IU is a 7 seed like I think they will be, what No. 2 seed wants to see them second round, especally if RV and Killingsworth keep up their recent play. My hunch says not many.

Pretty damn good game going on, on espn between Hofstra and UNC Wilmington. Two pretty good teams, the loser will have a shot at an at large but they'd be right on the bubble. Hofstra was down 23 in the 2nd half, now they're going to the line to try and cut it to 2 points at the line with 4 minutes to go.

Edited by Rowand44

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Mar 6, 2006 -> 08:48 PM)
Pretty damn good game going on, on espn between Hofstra and UNC Wilmington.  Two pretty good teams, the loser will have a shot at an at large but they'd be right on the bubble.  Hofstra was down 23 in the 2nd half, now they're going to the line to try and cut it to 2 points at the line with 4 minutes to go.

That's another pretty tough mid-major conference. Besides those two, George Mason is a virtual lock for an at-large seed, and Old Dominion is pretty solid too.

QUOTE(illinilaw08 @ Mar 7, 2006 -> 02:23 AM)
Majerus just called out Morrison for pushing off to create space off the ball.  Compared him to Reggie Miller.

That's not a bad thing. Great players know how to gain advantages. I don't think he meant it as a bad thing at all.

QUOTE(illinilaw08 @ Mar 6, 2006 -> 08:23 PM)
Majerus just called out Morrison for pushing off to create space off the ball.  Compared him to Reggie Miller.

All great scorers do it. Hell, MJ pushed off on what may be THE signature shot of his career (if you could only pick 1, it's the shot that won ring #6). It's just some do it more than others and can get away with it more because of how subtle they are. I think Majerus is more saying guys like Morrison and Reggie can push off more and get away with it because they have the skill of being subtle about it.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Mar 7, 2006 -> 02:25 AM)
All great scorers do it.  Hell, MJ pushed off on what may be THE signature shot of his career (if you could only pick 1, it's the shot that won ring #6).  It's just some do it more than others and can get away with it more because of how subtle they are.  I think Majerus is more saying guys like Morrison and Reggie can push off more and get away with it because they have the skill of being subtle about it.

Exactly, Larry Bird made a living at it. A pretty nice living too.