Official College Basketball Thread

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After Boeheim went off on the reporters calling McNamara overrated, I started thinking about whether I agree with the reporter or Coach Boeheim.

Personally, I'm a little torn. He's turning it over at a fairly high rate, and his shooting percentage is horrendous. It's gone down every year since his freshmen year too. I have a hard time supporting anyone that is shooting 35.5%, but he does have a lot of value to the team as a playmaker, and he does seem to hit the clutch shots. He's pretty good and he's very valuable for Syracuse, but there are quite a few PG's I'd rather have then him. His shot selection is just brutal most of the time.

After Boeheim went off on the reporters calling McNamara overrated, I started thinking about whether I agree with the reporter or Coach Boeheim.

Personally, I'm a little torn. He's turning it over at a fairly high rate, and his shooting percentage is horrendous. It's gone down every year since his freshmen year too. I have a hard time supporting anyone that is shooting 35.5%, but he does have a lot of value to the team as a playmaker, and he does seem to hit the clutch shots. He's pretty good and he's very valuable for Syracuse, but there are quite a few PG's I'd rather have then him. His shot selection is just brutal most of the time.

He did what he should have in defending his player, but I and everyone else could have done without all the f-bombs.

QUOTE(Palehosefan @ Mar 8, 2006 -> 09:28 PM)
He did what he should have in defending his player, but I and everyone else could have done without all the f-bombs.

I'm not blaming Boeheim. That was the right reponse, although maybe without the swearing. That'd have been a lot more entertaining if Bobby Knight were coaching Syracuse this year.

They still probably would have won 10 games though. Syracuse didn't exactly win a lot of games that they shouldn't have. They played a pretty soft non-conference schedule, and there are still a few dogs in the Big East.

So -- Marquette vs. Georgetown tomorrow. I know Marquette beat them (at the Bradley Center) just a few weeks ago, but it's gonna be a little nerve-racking sitting in school and only going by a text message here and there.

I know that Marquette, more or less, has their place in the tourney anywhere from a five to an eight seed, but it'd still be nice to see them grab a win and get a shot at U-Conn (?).

---------------------------

Seven minutes in, Louisville still hasn't scored.

Edited by CWSGuy406

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Mar 8, 2006 -> 08:52 PM)
So -- Marquette vs. Georgetown tomorrow.  I know Marquette beat them (at the Bradley Center) just a few weeks ago, but it's gonna be a little nerve-racking sitting in school and only going by a text message here and there.

I know that Marquette, more or less, as their place in the tourney anywhere from a five to an eight seed, but it'd still be nice to see them grab a win and get a shot at U-Conn (?). 

---------------------------

Seven minutes in, Louisville still hasn't scored.

Oh don't worry, i'll text you plenty in the 2nd half if it's close. Relax

QUOTE(MarlinFan84 @ Mar 8, 2006 -> 05:45 PM)
It's been my experience that BCS teams dont want to play teams from the valley...you really think someone wants to go into the SIU Arena, or Qwest Center, or Carver Arena, or the UNI Dome...places where the home team almost always comes out on top?

This dude says the Valley schools are ducking him?  I say the BCS needs to grow some grapefruits and play the MVC. 

I have long wanted a MVC/Big 10 challenge, much in the same vein as in the ACC/Big 10 challenge, except all games on neutral courts(like the family arena in st. charles, MO), with the worst team in the big 10 from the previous season not able to compete. 

I have sent letters to the offices of both conferences.  Detailed, well thought out, letters. 

The MVC is getting stronger and much more exposed(and overall play) without the BCS schools, so they might as well take their licks now before they get introduced come tourney time.

Write all you want, but it will not happen. The only reason they do the ACC/Big Ten Challenge is because it is a made for TV event. A Big Ten/MVC matchup would not be nearly big enough for all Big Ten teams to take a game off of their schedules. It would not be a big enough TV draw to put on TV nationally.

While it is a great thought in a perfect world, it doesn't work in the real world.

QUOTE(ZoomSlowik @ Mar 9, 2006 -> 02:25 AM)

I laughed when I heard Boeheim's comments. I knew exactly what he was talking about. What many people do is look at numbers and tie a direct correlation to a players importance to a team. While individual performance is important in the makeup of a team, there is no I in team and never will be. Players can affect a team's performance both on and off the court in ways casual fans can never see.

I recall a comment I made to a good friend of mine while in college. I was at Evansville in the late 80's and Mark Jewell, who was a Indiana Mr. Basketball transferred to UE from Iowa after George Raveling left.

Mark and I became great friends. One day I made a comment about a player, Larry Brand, who was from Wheaton, IL. I said something to the effect that Larry only played a few minutes a game and rarely scored so he was in effect wasted roster space. Mark jumped my ass and quickly told me I was wrong. He emphatically stated that Larry was one of the team veterans and he was one of the guys that kept the team focused and on track. Even though his contributions rarely ever showed up in a box score, Larry was basically the team disciplinarian and also a great influence on the young guys, both on and off the court.

Put very simply, Larry knew what TEAM meant and he was able to help the team in ways a box score could never reflect. I ate my words real quick that day. Later, I became good friends with Larry as well and as I hung around these guys more and more, I learned what Mark meant. Mark was the one putting up the numbers in games, yet not only did he look at Larry as a leader, he deferred to him knowing what Larry meant to the team. There is no doubt in my mind that Larry meant at least 5-10 wins a year to those teams.

In 1989, UE beat Gary Payton and Oregon State in the NCAA Tournament and were within one point of eventual runner-up Seton Hall with 5 minutes left in their 2nd round game. They were not the same Evansville residing at the bottom of the Valley today.

QUOTE(Rex Hudler @ Mar 8, 2006 -> 10:04 PM)
I laughed when I heard Boeheim's comments.  I knew exactly what he was talking about.  What many people do is look at numbers and tie a direct correlation to a players importance to a team.  While individual performance is important in the makeup of a team, there is no I in team and never will be.  Players can affect a team's performance both on and off the court in ways casual fans can never see.

I recall a comment I made to a good friend of mine while in college.  I was at Evansville in the late 80's and Mark Jewell, who was a Indiana Mr. Basketball transferred to UE from Iowa after George Raveling left.

Mark and I became great friends.  One day I made a comment about a player, Larry Brand, who was from Wheaton, IL.  I said something to the effect that Larry only played a few minutes a game and rarely scored so he was in effect wasted roster space.  Mark jumped my ass and quickly told me I was wrong.  He emphatically stated that Larry was one of the team veterans and he was one of the guys that kept the team focused and on track.  Even though his contributions rarely ever showed up in a box score, Larry was basically the team disciplinarian and also a great influence on the young guys, both on and off the court. 

Put very simply, Larry knew what TEAM meant and he was able to help the team in ways a box score could never reflect.  I ate my words real quick that day.  Later, I became good friends with Larry as well and as I hung around these guys more and more, I learned what Mark meant.  Mark was the one putting up the numbers in games, yet not only did he look at Larry as a leader, he deferred to him knowing what Larry meant to the team.  There is no doubt in my mind that Larry meant at least 5-10 wins a year to those teams.

In 1989, UE beat Gary Payton and Oregon State in the NCAA Tournament and were within one point of eventual runner-up Seton Hall with 5 minutes left in their 2nd round game.  They were not the same Evansville residing at the bottom of the Valley today.

Reminds me of Jerrance Howard for the Illini 2 years ago.

UConn looks bad. They just can't put the ball in the net, and Syracuse is getting transition baskets on the other side. Anderson and Gay have been brutal so far, and only Brown and Armstrong have really done anything. I wouldn't expect the upset yet though. UConn has put together big runs on Cuse before this year, and Calhoun is probably going to tear them a new one at the half so they come out playing better D.

UCONN = overrated.

Rely too much on the blocked shot.

No perimeter D.

Haven't shown the ability to hustle or execute consistently.

You can only get by on "pure talent" for so long.

That being said, they should be able to come back against the Cuse.

QUOTE(aboz56 @ Mar 9, 2006 -> 01:31 PM)
UCONN = overrated.

Rely too much on the blocked shot.

No perimeter D.

Haven't shown the ability to hustle or execute consistently.

You can only get by on "pure talent" for so long.

That being said, they should be able to come back against the Cuse.

UNC wasn't exactly stellar on D and often looked a little sloppy as well last year, they did pretty well. Illinois wasn't exactly elite on defense either.

In a weak field, I don't see them laying an egg. Their only real flaws are spotty shot selection and free throw shooting. Their domiance on the boards and typically good defense should probably overcome that at least until the Final Four.