Official College Basketball Thread

QUOTE(ZoomSlowik @ Mar 9, 2006 -> 02:35 PM)
Everyone is beatable, but who's better? Nova? Duke? Memphis? Gonzaga? I don't think so.

They have the most talent, but they're not the best team.

Their defense is just awful. (Everyone talks up their blocked shots, but they don't guard well at all.) They can beat teams just on talent, but you can't just win a national title in this era of parody based off of pure talent.

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(aboz56 @ Mar 9, 2006 -> 02:40 PM)

Their defense is just awful. (Everyone talks up their blocked shots, but they don't guard well at all.) They can beat teams just on talent, but you can't just win a national title in this era of parody based off of pure talent.

Like I said before, UNC just did last year, and this is a weaker field.

They're not a lock, but they've got the best shot of anybody. Duke has played even more poorly of late and one of their two good players is playing poorly and looks gased. Nova is decent, but they're vulnerable to anyone with size, or just a bad shooting night. No one else is even close.

Since when is their defense that brutal? They've had 3 bad defensive games that I've seen. They've won numerous games in the 60's, so it isn't all offense.

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2006 @ Mar 9, 2006 -> 01:39 PM)
I've totally lost track of everything now.  Now Cuse is in.  That much is certain.  Who's got the best chance of getting in after the GW loss?

All the GW loss does is turn the A-10 from a 1 team league into a 2 team league. GW and whoever wins the A-10 tourney now are in, which knocks 1 more team off the bubble.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Mar 9, 2006 -> 01:44 PM)
All the GW loss does is turn the A-10 from a 1 team league into a 2 team league.  GW and whoever wins the A-10 tourney now are in, which knocks 1 more team off the bubble.

Thanks. All these upsets are just f***in up everything. lol. I'm just gonna wait till the brackets come out. This is giving me a headache.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Mar 9, 2006 -> 01:49 PM)
I'm worried about Bradley now.  I still think they get in, but they are going to end up on that "last 4 in" line on Sunday and that is always dangerous.

goodbye Missouri state or N. Iowa... The MVC plays too early and everyone is watching these big time conference games.

QUOTE(ZoomSlowik @ Mar 9, 2006 -> 01:44 PM)
Like I said before, UNC just did last year, and this is a weaker field.

They're not a lock, but they've got the best shot of anybody. Duke has played even more poorly of late and one of their two good players is playing poorly and looks gased. Nova is decent, but they're vulnerable to anyone with size, or just a bad shooting night. No one else is even close.

Since when is their defense that brutal? They've had 3 bad defensive games that I've seen. They've won numerous games in the 60's, so it isn't all offense.

Yeah, beat me to it. UNC was pure talent, Illinois was a better "team." UNC had sick talent, but didn't play as a unit all the time. I see no reason why Uconn can't do something similar.

QUOTE(Jimbo's Drinker @ Mar 9, 2006 -> 01:52 PM)
goodbye Missouri state or N. Iowa... The MVC plays too early and everyone is watching these big time conference games.

That is why I worry about Bradley. UNI has the best OOC wins by far among the teams in that league, and Mizzou State (at least up until the last couple of days) had an RPI in the mid 20's.

If you've never seen Dominic James play, make sure to keep ESPN on....kid is a special talent at PG and is the reason why Novak has had so many open looks and had a great senior year. G'Town if they are smart will attack the weak Marquette front line inside. Should be a great one.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Mar 9, 2006 -> 07:55 PM)
If you've never seen Dominic James play, make sure to keep ESPN on....kid is a special talent at PG and is the reason why Novak has had so many open looks and had a great senior year.  G'Town if they are smart will attack the weak Marquette front line inside.  Should be a great one.

James isn't the sole reason.

Crean's sytem runs Novak off of screen after screen after screen to get him an open look.

James' only problem is that he tends to have a couple of shots each game that make you go, "Huh?". It's like he tries to take over the game. But, in the two final games I saw for Marquette -- vs. G-Town and Pitt, he played extremely well, but more importantly, played within himself.

This is killing me. One more hour and I can go home, but I'm out of the computer lab in ten minutes.

Anyone know when this game is tipping off?

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Mar 9, 2006 -> 02:02 PM)
James isn't the sole reason.

Crean's sytem runs Novak off of screen after screen after screen to get him an open look.

James' only problem is that he tends to have a couple of shots each game that make you go, "Huh?".  It's like he tries to take over the game.  But, in the two final games I saw for Marquette -- vs. G-Town and Pitt, he played extremely well, but more importantly, played within himself.

This is killing me.  One more hour and I can go home, but I'm out of the computer lab in ten minutes.

Anyone know when this game is tipping off?

It's already started.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Mar 9, 2006 -> 01:54 PM)
That is why I worry about Bradley.  UNI has the best OOC wins by far among the teams in that league, and Mizzou State (at least up until the last couple of days) had an RPI in the mid 20's.

Bradleys strong play at the end of the season(except that stinker in the MVC final) probably sealed their fate...they are in, as is Wichita State AND Mo St or UNI..and they both still have a chance.

I dont think the GW loss does as much as one might think, because Seton Hall went from a lock to a bubble team yesterday.

As long as Tennessee, LSU, Florida and I guess Alabama win the SEC

NC State, Duke, UNC, or BC win the ACC

UConn, West Virginia, Pittsburgh, Georgetown, Villanova and whoever the hell else was making the tourney from the big east(frickin super conference)

or Ohio State, Illinois, Iowa, Wisconsin, or Michigan state from the Big 12...

Then things pretty much stay the same.

Most of the mid major finals happening lately are from 1 bid leagues irregardless.

Helps that the pac 10 is mostly irrelevant this year, as it seems to be a breakout year for mid majors.

QUOTE(aboz56 @ Mar 9, 2006 -> 02:40 PM)

So who's the best team and how far do you think they go?

Don't forget that Bucknell needs to win their championship game. One of either Memphis or UAB needs to win the C-USA tournament. Nevada needs to win the WAC. All of these conferences could potentially steal at-large bids if these teams don't win.

The quickness of the other 4 players on the floor combined with Novak's deadly shot and 6'10 frame is just so damn difficult to guard. And against some teams (like G'Town, who relies on size and ball movement) it creates havoc on the defensive end too. G'Town better figure out a way to get the ball inside and score, because Marquette isn't a team they are going to hold to 55 points.

QUOTE(The Bones @ Mar 9, 2006 -> 02:12 PM)
Don't forget that Bucknell needs to win their championship game. One of either Memphis or UAB needs to win the C-USA tournament. Nevada needs to win the WAC. All of these conferences could potentially steal at-large bids if these teams don't win.

That was kind of implied, I didn't think I needed to go through every conference...a team thats going to make the tournament anyway in a multi bid league needs to win...

one bid leagues, like the MAC or Big West or whatever it doesn't really matter...let them play their asses off :canada

As far as the bubble teams go, it's completely possible that Missouri State got knocked out today but we'll see. Bradley should still be fine, UNI and the Shockers are in, and obviously SIU is good. I still think at worst the mvc gets 4, I could be wrong though.

The quality of play in these Big East Tourney games is something to watch. These teams are damned good. And G'Town is FINALLY starting to attack Marquette's soft interior, and getting back into it as a result. James needs a rest too for Marquette, he looks tired and out of control.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Mar 9, 2006 -> 02:24 PM)
As far as the bubble teams go, it's completely possible that Missouri State got knocked out today but we'll see.  Bradley should still be fine, UNI and the Shockers are in, and obviously SIU is good.  I still think at worst the mvc gets 4, I could be wrong though.

I agree, but I still think 5 is likely. With all the upsets lately, like I said they have mostly been offset because the upset was a team that would likely make the tourney anyway(except Temple).

So I ask this question:

Which bubble team gets taken off first:

mid major who truly deserves it, played hard all year, won some big games

BCS school that has played average/bad all year, accomplishing nothing but having name value(Kentucky, Arizona, Alabama, and Stanford come to mind).