Official College Basketball Thread

QUOTE(MarlinFan84 @ Mar 9, 2006 -> 02:35 PM)
I agree, but I still think 5 is likely.  With all the upsets lately, like I said they have mostly been offset because the upset was a team that would likely make the tourney anyway(except Temple).

So I ask this question:

Which bubble team gets taken off first:

mid major who truly deserves it, played hard all year, won some big games

BCS school that has played average/bad all year, accomplishing nothing but having name value(Kentucky, Arizona, Alabama, and Stanford come to mind).

The first 3 you mentioned are all in and Stanford is out, that easy when it comes to those teams.

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Of course big-name schools are going to get in over a mid-major team and it's easy to explain why.

Bottom line is, like anything else, money is what drives this whole animal.

A bigger name team, like a Kentucky, is going to bring more fans than say a Creighton. So of course this is going to be factored in, even if the committee would never admit it.

I think the MVC will get 4 teams in.

Creighton won't make it IMO and Bradley will barely miss it. (although Missouri State and Bradley could be flip-flopped)

I think they deserve 5, but I think it'll end up being 4.

One thing I point to as far as teams bringing fans is Louisville in the Big East Tournament.

There were a lot of idiotic Louisville fans who spent their hard earned money going up to NYC.

I mean even though Louisville was a one and done, these people still went up there when their team had no shot.

I'm not a fan of either UK or Louisville (these are my 2 hated teams), but from having to live around their crazy fans, it's quite apparent that they would travel just about anywhere to watch their teams. Even if they are pitiful.

QUOTE(aboz56 @ Mar 9, 2006 -> 02:51 PM)
One thing I point to as far as teams bringing fans is Louisville in the Big East Tournament.

There were a lot of idiotic Louisville fans who spent their hard earned money going up to NYC.

I mean even though Louisville was a one and done, these people still went up there when their team had no shot.

I'm not a fan of either UK or Louisville (these are my 2 hated teams), but from having to live around their crazy fans, it's quite apparent that they would travel just about anywhere to watch their teams.  Even if they are pitiful.

Dont expect Louisville to be pitiful for long. I just think going to the big east they met unexpected growing pains, as they went from a conference with a few good teams, to going to a conference that is tough top to bottom and brought a few of those good CUSA teams with them(except memphis).

Louisiville will be BEast champs next year, mark my words.

QUOTE(MarlinFan84 @ Mar 9, 2006 -> 04:01 PM)
Dont expect Louisville to be pitiful for long.  I just think going to the big east they met unexpected growing pains, as they went from a conference with a few good teams, to going to a conference that is tough top to bottom and brought a few of those good CUSA teams with them(except memphis). 

They are pitiful this year and that's all I'm concerned with.

And their egomaniac coach made excuses for their poor play all year.

Maybe he should have just admitted they were awful from day one.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Mar 9, 2006 -> 01:55 PM)
If you've never seen Dominic James play, make sure to keep ESPN on....kid is a special talent at PG and is the reason why Novak has had so many open looks and had a great senior year.  G'Town if they are smart will attack the weak Marquette front line inside.  Should be a great one.

I think you jinxed him. He's 1/13 from the field.

QUOTE(aboz56 @ Mar 9, 2006 -> 03:03 PM)
They are pitiful this year and that's all I'm concerned with.

And their egomaniac coach made excuses for their poor play all year.

Maybe he should have just admitted they were awful from day one.

They were also highly thought of going into the season, dont blame it all on Pitino.

Also, my signature is a direct link to the Saluki mens basketball page if anyone wants to take a look.

(and if Kentucky loses today, they might not make the tourney...they are down now)

QUOTE(MarlinFan84 @ Mar 9, 2006 -> 04:01 PM)

I wouldn't count on that. Losing Dean is a killer, and Padgett will be coming off an injury. He's an underacheiver anyways. Jenkins and Palacios are decent but not stellar, and Williams needs to work on his jumper. They also don't have really strong PG play. They have a good freshmen class, but I'm not sure how much production they will get out of them.

UConn could still be very strong next year. Gay is almost certain to go, but it would be difficult for Williams to go because of all of the community service he is going to have to do during the pre-draft prep, and Boone going would probably be a bad call. Adrien and Austrie also get the chance to play bigger roles, A.J. Price should finally be able to play, and Stanley Robinson can fill in a lot of what they lose with Gay going pro. Watch out for Cuse too. Everyone but McNamara should be back, and Paul Harris is a very talented freshmen that can bolster their backcourt. Nova will be decent too if Sumpter gets close to 100%.

Edited by ZoomSlowik

QUOTE(The Bones @ Mar 9, 2006 -> 03:43 PM)
Wake beats FSU 78-66. Does FSU get in?

They are squarely on the bubble with that loss IMO. It's 50/50, they are going to end up on the "last 4 in/last 4 out" line. My guess is they don't get in since the Duke win is their ONLY RPI top 50 win.

Marquette is down seven with :50 seconds left.

Really, really stupid play by Fitzgerald on the last possession.

BTW -- is Marquette a lock for the tourney, even without this win? Will 20-10, 10-6 in conference, get them in?

Edited by CWSGuy406

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Mar 9, 2006 -> 04:48 PM)

BTW -- is Marquette a lock for the tourney, even without this win?  Will 20-10, 10-6 in conference, get them in?

With a conference record like that in the Big East, they're pretty much a lock.

Georgetown started badly, like yesterday, but also like yesterday, slowed the game down and used their size inside to do just enough to pick up the victory (altough damn that got close at the end). G'Town vs. Syracuse should be interesting, Syracuse has a lot of big bodies inside to throw at the Hoyas, but Georgetown should do a lot better job on McNamara then Syracuse' last 3 opponents have. The other interesting factor is both teams were 1st day players, so fatigue will be a factor with both playing their 3rd game in 3 days.

From SI:

Valley Power

People who continue to wonder why teams in the Missouri Valley Conference have higher RPIs than those in some of the power conferences should take a look at the nonfonference schedules of the MVC teams.  According to CollegeRpi.com, the 10 schools in the Valley have an average nonconference strength-of-schedule ranking of 133.9.  Compare that to the averages of the Big 12(146.4), Pac-10(153.5) and ACC(172.8).  Some of the bubble teams in the major conferences are the worst offenders:  California(No. 168  in nonconference SOS), Texas A&M(252), Colorado(268) and Florida State(317).  If the big boys are unhappy when their leagues get fewer bids than the Valley on Selection Sunday, perhaps they should think a little bigger when deciding on their early-season schedules.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Mar 9, 2006 -> 03:48 PM)

BTW -- is Marquette a lock for the tourney, even without this win?  Will 20-10, 10-6 in conference, get them in?

They're a lock, don't worry Mr. IC.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Mar 9, 2006 -> 03:45 PM)
They are squarely on the bubble with that loss IMO.  It's 50/50, they are going to end up on the "last 4 in/last 4 out" line.  My guess is they don't get in since the Duke win is their ONLY RPI top 50 win.

It'd be a shame if they get in instead of one of the valley teams.