Official College Basketball Thread

QUOTE(IlliniKrush @ Mar 10, 2006 -> 01:38 PM)

Man, a 2nd round Illinois/Bradley game would be a lot of fun....unless of course Nevada wins, and then Augie can own Fazekas in round 2 for the 2nd year in a row.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(IlliniKrush @ Mar 10, 2006 -> 02:03 PM)
Tennesse's down 11 to Scarolina with 2:30 left.

Vols lose again. It's pretty clear that Pearl's helter skelter style has run this group of players out of gas. But as he gets his players in there (ie: people in better shape more suited to play the style) they are going to be damn good consistently IMO.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Mar 10, 2006 -> 02:09 PM)
Vols lose again.  It's pretty clear that Pearl's helter skelter style has run this group of players out of gas.  But as he gets his players in there (ie: people in better shape more suited to play the style) they are going to be damn good consistently IMO.

They don't defend either. They can run teams out of the gym all they want but until they learn to play better defense they're not going to have a long run in the ncaa's.

Vols lose again. It's pretty clear that Pearl's helter skelter style has run this group of players out of gas. But as he gets his players in there (ie: people in better shape more suited to play the style) they are going to be damn good consistently IMO.

I have a friend thats a Vols insider, and thats exactly what he said. They play 7 players, and they just can't handle the pace all season long. But on the bright side for them, everyone returns next year and they should be a pre-season top 15 team.

Hofstra: #30 RPI/126 SOS/285 NON CON SOS

George Mason: #27 RPI/89 SOS/38 NON CON SOS

Michigan: #46 RPI/30 SOS/ 148 NON CON SOS

Seton Hall: #56 RPI/32 SOS/37 NON CON SOS

W/L TOP 50

Hofstra: 3-2

George Mason: 2-4

Michigan: 3-8

Seton Hall: 5-4

51-100

Hofstra: 4-3

George Mason: 6-2

Michigan: 7-1

Seton Hall: 3-5

101-200

Hofstra: 6-0

George Mason: 4-1

Michigan: 3-1

Seton Hall: 6-1

201+

Hofstra: 11-1

George Mason: 11-0

Michigan: 5-0

Seton Hall: 4-1

Take what you will from that, it seems like more of a tossup, whats probably putting Michigan and Seton Hall over is the fact that those two schools combined didn't play as many 201+ RPI teams as Hofstra or George Mason did by themselves, making it look like their records are slightly padded.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Mar 10, 2006 -> 10:05 AM)
It's official, NCAA is a joke once again.  Ohio State gets a slap on the wrist considering the crimes, a 3 year probation period and a loss of 1 basketball scholarship.  Of course, it LOOKS tough, but considering what they did it's very little.  No postseason bans, and the 1 scholly loss won't affect the Thad 5.  If anybody other than one of the main cash cows did this, it would be a death penalty like punishment.  *Sighs* man does the NCAA suck, I just wish everybody was treated the same way.

No postseason ban? Do you not remember last year? OSU made a self imposed ban from postseason play..does this not count? They also lose all record of basketball 99-03. They have to take down the final four banner from 99. Explain to me how this is not a good punishment? It was really not OSUs fault that Obrien was a f***ing idiot. Once they found out about what he had done the fired him and took the actions. You can clearly see that the NCAA felt that Obrien and his assistant were the majority of the problem.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Mar 10, 2006 -> 12:01 PM)
You know what I just realized.  I may be the only person on here that goes to a school that won a national championship whlie they attended said school. 

I'm guessing maybe a few OSU people went there when they won a National Championship.

Just had to say this since Fullerton's cinderalla dream ended last night with a last second loss to arch rival Long Beach State.

I was a junior during the year OSU won it in football.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan99 @ Mar 10, 2006 -> 11:32 PM)
Anyone hear anything about Allan Ray yet?

Sounded like no new details, they just said that it's an eye injury. It's either a non-issue or a really serious problem, with the former being a lot more likely. If he is out however, Nova is totally screwed.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan99 @ Mar 10, 2006 -> 10:32 PM)
Anyone hear anything about Allan Ray yet?

Apparently it's not nearly as bad as first thought. He's regained his vision and is going to be released from the hospital tonight. No news on his NCAA Tourney playing status yet, but there were Villanova people crying in fear the kid might have been blinded for life in that eye, so the news has been good. This is all per Andy Katz on ESPNEWS about 15 minutes ago btw.

I know it was accidental, but Krauser is a thug. I cant stand him.

I feel the same way about the Pittsburgh team as a whole, can't stand them. Whether its the showboating, the smack talking/gesturing, or the un-needed 3 point attempt at the end of the game against Villanova. That's one team I will be cheering against, even if it was Duke playing them.

Nevada will play Utah State in Reno for the WAC Title tomorrow, and all the bubble teams will root for the Wolfpack.

UAB and Memphis, 2 tourney teams, will play for the CUSA title tomorrow and the MAC title game is between Toledo and Kent, and that is only a 1 bid league.

Nebraska improve to 19-12 with an upset win over Oklahoma today. Doubtful they have much of a shot at the dance, but hey you never know, they are 2 wins from that auto bid.

A&M demolished Colorado, so A&M is in and Colorado is out of the dance. Maryland was smacked in the mouth by Boston College, and they are also just about finished.

Long Beach State will take on Pacific for the Big West title tomorrow, and just to be safe, all the bubble teams out there will be big Pacific fans no doubt.

San Diego State defeated a game UNLV game 63-60 to advance to the MWC title game. All bubble teams will be rooting for them, as if they win, the MWC is a lock for only 1 bid. SDSU will take on Wyoming, which is an amazing story. Wyoming is 14-17, went 5-11 in league play during the regular season, has a coach that is rumored to be all but fired, and yet is 1 win from the Big Dance.

And Pac 10 #1 seed UCLA won today to improve to 26-6 and advance to the title game of the tourney. Oregon with another amazing effort tonight, but loses by inches to Cal in double OT. The Pac 10 looks set with 4 bids: Cal, Arizona, UCLA, Washington.

Also, on a side note....Justin Williams of Wyoming with QUITE a triple double.....10 points, 14 rebounds, and 12 BLOCKS....whoa.

Good news for bubble teams: Wake and Oregon both have lost in the last 12 or so hours.

Bad news for bubble teams; South Carolina beats Kentucky, and will play the LSU/Florida winner with a shot at an auto bid, taking away somebody's at large IF they can pull off the miracle.

To watch later for bubble teams: Nebraska vs. Kansas, the bubble teams want a Kansas win in that one.

Wyoming vs. San Diego State, Wyoming is below .500 and SDSU is a potential at large threat if they lose, so go SDSU if your on the bubble.

Pacific vs. LBSU, Pacific is another POTENTIAL at large candidate if they lose, so go Pacific if your on the bubble.

Nevada vs. Utah State, go Nevada if your on the bubble....they are already in, and Utah State is a bubble team at best if they lose tonight.