Official College Basketball Thread

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's another reason for my thoughts on Rose. From Rose's own coach...

“These players are not stupid. They want to play against the best competition available and that means playing in the Big 12, ACC or Pac Ten. And these guys all know each other. They want to go to schools where there’s some talent there with them. How do you think OSU did that? Derrick Rose will be the same way. He doesn’t want to go to a school and be “the man”. He wants a good supporting cast around him,” added Smith. "

QUOTE(SleepyWhiteSox @ Nov 28, 2005 -> 11:47 PM)
By the way, I AM ABSOLUTELY NOT GETTING MY HOPES UP nor do I like our chances, especially with the horrendous play so far under this coach, but I've heard that DePaul is still somewhat in the mix for Rose...

I've actually heard the same thin Sleepy. However, they continue to play like this and with Big East play approaching it may only get worse I think DePaul's chances will continue to get worse. Especially since Rose has said he doesn't want to be the savior and wants to play with other great players. I do think if you guys had Leitao you would have had a terrific shot though.

QUOTE(Palehosefan @ Nov 29, 2005 -> 12:23 AM)
Definitely. If Ben Allen plays his best game yet and someone like Vaden can chase Redick around the court and make him take bad shots, then IU with Killingsworth having to lead the charge, could pull off the upset. Duke's weakness is that they are still not very athletic. They needed alot of help from the officials including 8 more fouls called on Memphis to come out on top in their last game. For as big as their frontline is, they still don't get alot of rebounds, including a combined 12 rebounds out of McRoberts and Williams in 70 minutes of play.

I would like to see IU run some traps and man up the entire game. It should be the best game of the Big Ten/ACC showdown in my opinion, I can't wait.

Man, I wish White was healthy for this game. I'd call for it to be in the bag then. I say AH gives us 10 points alone; the crowd's going to be so crazy tomorrow night. I can't wait. We're doing a white-out tomorrow night, I don't know why we chose white over red, but w/e.

I don't think Ben Allen's going to be the determinant though. He's been coming off the bench to start the season, and he really hasn't seen major minutes. I don't expect that to change very much for Duke. We shall see though.

QUOTE(SleepyWhiteSox @ Nov 28, 2005 -> 11:34 PM)
:headshake  :headshake  :headshake 

:puke  :puke  :puke 

:angry:  :angry:  :angry: 

:(

It was really interesting to watch (I was in the front row of the NIU Student Section). DePaul has a lot of talent, but it appeared to be a very poorly coached team. DePaul played very good defense I thought, but NIU is a high powered offensive team and just made some plays to get their points. However, DePaul's offense was HORRIBLY executed.....no ball movement, ZERO post prescence....the offense was basically let's hope Meijia can penetrate and get himself or somebody else an easy shot, otherwise fire up a tough 3 pointer.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Nov 29, 2005 -> 01:33 PM)
It was really interesting to watch (I was in the front row of the NIU Student Section).  DePaul has a lot of talent, but it appeared to be a very poorly coached team.  DePaul played very good defense I thought, but NIU is a high powered offensive team and just made some plays to get their points.  However, DePaul's offense was HORRIBLY executed.....no ball movement, ZERO post prescence....the offense was basically let's hope Meijia can penetrate and get himself or somebody else an easy shot, otherwise fire up a tough 3 pointer.

I'm still trying to figure out how they were so efficient against NU. I know that offensive rebounds played a large role, but they still had some nice drives and hit some open 3's. I guess the biggest difference was that Northwestern doesn't have anyone that can score other than Vukusic, especially since DePaul didn't exactly light up the scoreboard in any of their games.

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Nov 29, 2005 -> 10:36 AM)
Man, I wish White was healthy for this game.  I'd call for it to be in the bag then.  I say AH gives us 10 points alone; the crowd's going to be so crazy tomorrow night.  I can't wait.  We're doing a white-out tomorrow night, I don't know why we chose white over red, but w/e. 

I don't think Ben Allen's going to be the determinant though.  He's been coming off the bench to start the season, and he really hasn't seen major minutes.  I don't expect that to change very much for Duke.  We shall see though.

It'd be interesting to compare it to Wake/Illinois of last year. You want crazy? That was beyond crazy. And every soul had orange on.

I want to set these ESPN poll results in stone, before all the games start.

1) Which team will win Tuesday's game at Wake Forest? (7 p.m. ET, ESPN)

56.5% Wake Forest

43.5% Wisconsin

2) Which team will win Tuesday's game at Florida State? (7:30 p.m. ET, ESPN2)

60.8% Florida State

39.2% Purdue

3) Which team will win Tuesday's game at Penn State? (8 p.m. ET, ESPNU)

65.9% Clemson

34.1% Penn State

4) Which team will win Tuesday's game at North Carolina? (9 p.m. ET, ESPN)

79.2% Illinois

20.8% North Carolina

5) Which team will win Tuesday's game at Michigan? (9:30 p.m. ET, ESPN2)

76.9% Michigan

23.1% Miami

6) Which team will win Wednesday's game at Michigan State? (7 p.m. ET, ESPN)

90.5% Michigan State

9.5% Georgia Tech

7) Which team will win Wednesday's game at Maryland? (7:30 p.m. ET, ESPN2)

83.7% Maryland

16.3% Minnesota

8) Which team will win Wednesday's game at Virginia? (8 p.m. ET, ESPNU)

69.7% Virginia

30.3% Northwestern

9) Which team will win Wednesday's game at Indiana? (9 p.m. ET, ESPN)

69.3% Duke

30.7% Indiana

10) Which team will win Wednesday's game at Iowa? (9:30 p.m. ET, ESPN2)

72.4% Iowa

27.6% N.C. State

QUOTE(Buehrle>Wood @ Nov 29, 2005 -> 04:26 PM)
I'd consider IU the favorite for tommorrow nights game. They better win.

Interesting...

This summer you said, IU would struggle to make the tournament. Now you're saying they're the favorite against the #1 team in the country.

http://www.soxtalk.com/forums/index.php?sh...ndpost&p=831613

Their still expected to be good. Indiana, on the other hand, will likely struggle to make the tournament again.

Alright, so we take on UNC tonight in the Dean Dome.

I guess the line is UNC -2 or somewhere around there.

Bottom line, we better win this game. It's going to be a good game to see where exactly this team is at right now. I know UNC has a lot of talent - but it's inexperienced. This is the game where Dee and James need to work hard to find a way to win. Even McBride has enough experience.

I wouldn't be shocked if we lose, not one bit. But we need to win this game. We're a bit overrated at #12 right now as it is, but winning this game would put everyone at ease in illini country for the time being and give me confidence that this team can be pretty good. I don't want to hear the excuse "it was in the Dean Dome" if we lose. We should play above that factor.

Dee has been off the last few games - time for him to step it up. He likes the spotlight...and he'll sure have it tonight. Let's go Dee and James, lead us to a big win.

Also, this game has nothing to do with revenge or the "rematch" factor. 2 starters remain from that game out of 10. It's about beating a formidable team on the road early in the season in our first real test of the year.

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Nov 29, 2005 -> 09:34 PM)
Interesting...

This summer you said, IU would struggle to make the tournament.  Now you're saying they're the favorite against the #1 team in the country. 

http://www.soxtalk.com/forums/index.php?sh...ndpost&p=831613

They have played good so far, against crappy teams mind you but they have played good. I like them because their at home and the atmosphere at the Hall is going to be crazy. Duke, on the other hand, may be the most overhyped team this century. I don't think they are deserving of a number 1 ranking at all. I pretty much fully expect IU to win.

Also, the 2 points I have made have no direct correlation. Obviously a win against Duke won't hurt their resume, but its still not near enough to get in. They got a whole season to play. They've been prone over the last couple years to winning the big game even if they were just a very poor team, which they certainly have been over the last couple of seasons. They better hope thats not the case tommorow.

QUOTE(Buehrle>Wood @ Nov 29, 2005 -> 04:45 PM)
They have played good so far, against crappy teams mind you but they have played good.  I like them because their at home and the atmosphere at the Hall is going to be crazy. Duke, on the other hand, may be the most overhyped team this century. I don't think they are deserving of a number 1 ranking at all. I pretty much fully expect IU to win.

Also, the 2 points I have made have no direct correlation. Obviously a win against Duke won't hurt their resume, but its still not near enough to get in. They got a whole season to play. They've been prone over the last couple years to winning the big game even if they were just a very poor team, which they certainly have been over the last couple of seasons. They better hope thats not the case tommorow.

This team is >>>>>>>> the IU teams of the last couple years. Last year, we'd be just squeaking by crappy teams, if we won at all. I just find it ironic that you find IU, without their preseason 1st team conference player, the favorite over the #1 Duke.

I definitely believe we can beat them also. I'd all but call it a guarantee, if we had White in the lineup tomorrow too. I definitely can't wait though, tomorrow night's going to be fun. I plan on losing my voice for a month. :headbang

QUOTE(IlliniKrush @ Nov 29, 2005 -> 05:17 PM)
There's no way you could guarantee a win even if White was playing. Not against the #1 team in the nation.

What's the line for this game anyway?

I'd love IU to win

IU's playing the best they have since the Final Four run, and this is without White and AJ. I don't know how bringing those two back into the mix could make this team worse; they'd just get better.

Defenses have to pick their poison against this team. You have to decide to put all your powers into stopping Killingsworth, and that'll just open up the outside game. We've hit 16 three's the last 2 games. Or, you can worry about the guards and outside game, and that leaves Killingsworth open inside. Putting White into that will just make their decision even harder.

AJ just got cleared to play for the Duke game, so he could see some time off the bench, especially for his defense.

I have no idea what the line is, some betting guy should look it up.

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Nov 29, 2005 -> 05:05 PM)
This team is >>>>>>>> the IU teams of the last couple years.  Last year, we'd be just squeaking by crappy teams, if we won at all.  I just find it ironic that you find IU, without their preseason 1st team conference player, the favorite over the #1 Duke.

I definitely believe we can beat them also.  I'd all but call it a guarantee, if we had White in the lineup tomorrow too.  I definitely can't wait though, tomorrow night's going to be fun.  I plan on losing my voice for a month.  :headbang

Indiana definitely looks better than what I would have expected so far, albiet the competition is pretty weak. Killingsworth is playing better thn I expected. I expected him to be about a 15-8 player with little contribution in other areas, since he was basically a 13.5-6.5 player in that mold at Auburn. So far he is playing much better than that, we'll see if it holds up. The biggest difference in my mind so far is that Strickland has been playing great. He was nowhere near these kind of numbers last year. Even if he drops off to average like 12-15 points the rest of the year they'd be in good shape once White gets back.

QUOTE(ZoomSlowik @ Nov 29, 2005 -> 05:23 PM)
Indiana definitely looks better than what I would have expected so far, albiet the competition is pretty weak. Killingsworth is playing better thn I expected. I expected him to be about a 15-8 player with little contribution in other areas, since he was basically a 13.5-6.5 player in that mold at Auburn. So far he is playing much better than that, we'll see if it holds up. The biggest difference in my mind so far is that Strickland has been playing great. He was nowhere near these kind of numbers last year. Even if he drops off to average like 12-15 points the rest of the year they'd be in good shape once White gets back.

Strickland was forced into playing the wrong position for his first 3 years. I feel bad for him, for that reason. I wonder where IU would have been, if Bracey never came, or Strickland was able to just play his natural position, the 2, the whole time at IU. Strickland's best moments in his first three years were always when he played off the ball; he's going to be able to do that all season now.

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Nov 29, 2005 -> 04:23 PM)
IU's playing the best they have since the Final Four run, and this is without White and AJ.  I don't know how bringing those two back into the mix could make this team worse; they'd just get better. 

Defenses have to pick their poison against this team.  You have to decide to put all your powers into stopping Killingsworth, and that'll just open up the outside game.  We've hit 16 three's the last 2 games.  Or, you can worry about the guards and outside game, and that leaves Killingsworth open inside.  Putting White into that will just make their decision even harder.

AJ just got cleared to play for the Duke game, so he could see some time off the bench, especially for his defense.

I have no idea what the line is, some betting guy should look it up.

College Basketball lines are not generally released until the day of the game.