Official College Basketball Thread

QUOTE(IlliniKrush @ Nov 29, 2005 -> 10:58 PM)
Yeah i know what you mean with that. I don't just look at college basketball players and try to figure out how good they'll be in the pros. The same goes for college football players and the NFL. When i tell people i think Bush should win the Heisman, some have said that Young/Leinart will be a better pro. Guess what, I DON'T CARE. And furthermore, last time i checked, "nfl potential" wasn't a factor in the Heisman voting.  When Crouch won it for Nebraska, he deserved it. It doesn't matter what he did in the NFL. 

I want Dee to be a good college player and help the Illini win some games, not just develop into an NBA point guard.  And right now if his concern is the NBA...  :unsure:

Well to be fair, he's worrying about his career. I'm pretty sure if we were in the same position, we would be worrying about our future too.

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Nov 29, 2005 -> 11:04 PM)
Well to be fair, he's worrying about his career. I'm pretty sure if we were in the same position, we would be worrying about our future too.

But we don't have to all talk about Dee in that respect, we can care about the here and now, you know. I hate how everything that fans talk about relates to 'draft potential'

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Nov 29, 2005 -> 11:03 PM)
Some positives about that Illinois game are that Jamar Smith is a spectacular shooter and better defender than I thought, and Brian Randle could be excellent if he'd stop taking stupid fouls.  Also, IMO Shaun Pruitt is under utilized.

Agreed, agreed, and agreed.

Randle could have helped put a stop to that run in the 2nd half that UNC had, that's for sure.

Also, apparently Indiana and Duke play tomorrow, although I think they under advertised for it during the game. Oh, and I heard Tyler Hansbrough's mom was in attendance, but why didn't they show her on camera?

Don't worry, its ESPN's new craze. Showing parents on TV, it started in Duke of course, but is spreading across the nation. Its the newest craze for ESPN since their bright idea of taking Doris Burke out of the Kentucky Derby to report on college basketball games.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Nov 29, 2005 -> 11:15 PM)
Also, apparently Indiana and Duke play tomorrow, although I think they under advertised for it during the game.  Oh, and I heard Tyler Hansbrough's mom was in attendance, but why didn't they show her on camera?

I thought she was jumping up and down with another son the entire game... well anytime hansbrough did something good...?

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Nov 29, 2005 -> 11:39 PM)
She was.  :P

I was being sarcastic, but sadly wasn't sure which color you put sarcasm in around here.

I wasn't sure if you were being serious or not... i thought i was just seeing things no one else was. :wacko:

Edited by qwerty

QUOTE(Jimbo's Drinker @ Nov 30, 2005 -> 06:02 AM)
They look so much different than last year...last year they were so explosive.  I guess it may be because they are so young, but the players, though young do not have as much talent.

losing two first-round nba draft picks from your line-up will do that to a team. at least they played like crap and won.

honestly i'm not worried about dee. he did not shoot well obviously, but i would agree that ginyard played some great defense on him. i also concur with krush inasmuch as i don't really care too much about his nba career at this point. when he gets there (and he will be there) i'll root for him, but for now he's an illini and that's all i'm concerned with.

a few other things:

-this team is much, much deeper than last year's. not as good obviously, but much deeper.

-brian randle hitting those two 3s was the best thing that happened last night. i don't want to see it become habit, but if teams have to respect his outside shot (which i never thought they would) that's going to open up the lane for him. regardless, he is active and athletic as hell. we could have used him last year.

-augie is a frustrating player to watch. he can be dominant, and he can disappear and be a total non-factor. maybe we expect too much out of him.

-jamar smith is very good. not bad for a player who was outside the top-50.

-warren carter must hang out with augie, because he's got the same "look great, then disappear" approach.

-bobby frasor impressed me. would have been nice to see him playing for illinois. however, for whatever reason it didn't seem that illinois was interested in him, nor was he interested in illinois. he will be a very good player for unc.

-tyler hansbrough is going to be a beast. can't wait to see him and mcroberts mix it up.

overall, though, i have to say i'm pleased with what i've seen so far. illinois played like total crap defensively in the first half and like crap offensively at the end of the game. yet they won, on the road in a very difficult place to play.

difficult stretch ahead though with xavier (at the uc), georgetown (at ah) and oregon (in oregon) coming up. i tend to doubt we'll be ranked at 12 after those games.

Purdue looked worse than any team I've ever seen in the Big 10/ACC Challenge. Not only can they not handle the ball, shoot, pass, or defend, I was disgusted by the awful attitudes I saw by many of the players. While I think Minnoy is an interesting talent, I'll guarantee there's no chance that he remains in school for four years (and no, I don't think he's going pro).

QUOTE(Wedge @ Nov 30, 2005 -> 09:36 AM)
Is it just me or are the new Nike uniforms for everything simply hideous? VTech and Miami's football jerseys and now Illinois's basketball jerseys? Awful!

Nike:Uniforms::MTV:Music::ESPN:Sports

Though Nike would never be allowed to change our basketball jersey, I'm glad IU switched to Adidas a couple years ago.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Nov 30, 2005 -> 03:06 PM)
Duke was fortunate to escape against Memphis....be interesting to see what happens tonight when they don't have the crowd or refs on their side.

Barely escaping Memphis isn't really a shameful thing.

Iowa State - Iowa looks like it'll be a good matchup, all of a sudden. Brunner will get his points, it all comes down to shooting, as it did against UNI and those f***heads Greg McDermott and Ben Jacobsen. I'll be in the second row, BTW :D.

How many people are part of the Krush, and whatever the hell Indiana has? Cyclone Alley seems to be getting there. We were f***ing LOUD last nite for just plain old UNI. Adam Haluska should end up deaf with around 14,000 there to boo him relentlessly.