Official College Basketball Thread

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Nov 30, 2005 -> 04:08 PM)
19802440.jpg

i think i'd have to put that number 2 on the list, just barely though. (game 1 of the 2005 alds)

There's something about a closed arena that makes it THAT much louder

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(SnB @ Nov 30, 2005 -> 04:10 PM)
i think i'd have to put that number 2 on the list, just barely though. (game 1 of the 2005 alds)

There's something about a closed arena that makes it THAT much louder

That was probably the only time I could actually hear anything in the 3 games I was at. The other times something big happened..the gooch homer, or the paul granny, pods walkoff,etc, I was going to crazy I couldnt even hear the crowd.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Nov 30, 2005 -> 04:12 PM)
That was probably the only time I could actually hear anything in the 3 games I was at. The other times something big happened..the gooch homer, or the paul granny, pods walkoff,etc, I was going to crazy I couldnt even hear the crowd.

true, but game 1 had the most massive NA NA NA NA chant of all time.

By far my favorite memory of any sporting event i've ever been at.

Difference between home and road record

(Conference games only, 1999-2005)

Team Home Road Diff in Win%

1 Bradley 46-17 13-50 .524

2 Hawaii 44-14 14-44 .517

3 Alabama 43-13 16-40 .482

4 New Mexico 36-13 13-36 .469

5 Iowa St. 42-14 16-40 .464

^ A lot of this is a function of how pisspoor ISU played on the road before last year, but it's still pretty good as ISU had a few down years in the middle.

I think a home-and-home with Illinois would be really cool. I really doubt Iowa State would have a shot in Illinois, but I think we could upset the Illini in Ames. Both places rock.

Heads...there were about 1,500 people in Krush last year. However, there's another, maybe, 4,000 students who are in the regular stands and aren't part of Krush.

And Greasy and whoever else...since i've experienced both, the Wake game tip off was louder than Frank coming out or any other thing at that game. Again, a closed environment will do that.

Only thing that i've been at that's been louder than the wake game? 1991 NHL All Star game National Anthem.

I'd say Zona/ILL game was just a touch behind the Wake game, only because there were more students screaming at the top of their lungs at that game (and less people who stumbled upon tickets through connections, etc). But that was extremely loud as well, agreed. The ILL INI between 4th quarter and OT was nuts.

But that all star game anthem was just ridiculous. And i was 7.

QUOTE(IlliniKrush @ Nov 30, 2005 -> 04:25 PM)
Heads...there were about 1,500 people in Krush last year. However, there's another, maybe, 4,000 students who are in the regular stands and aren't part of Krush.

And Greasy and whoever else...since i've experienced both, the Wake game tip off was louder than Frank coming out or any other thing at that game. Again, a closed environment will do that.

Only thing that i've been at that's been louder than the wake game? 1991 NHL All Star game National Anthem.

Cool. I have no idea how many are in Cyclone Alley. I know we fill up both sisdes behind the basket up to the concourse and for big games for one side it's up to the rafters. I do know student season tickets were sold out before the school year.

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Nov 30, 2005 -> 04:33 PM)
Cool. I have no idea how many are in Cyclone Alley. I know we fill up both sisdes behind the basket up to the concourse and for big games for one side it's up to the rafters. I do know student season tickets were sold out before the school year.

Selling out with season tickets is a pretty good step.

Sometimes the adults at AH sit on their hands too much. You have to give them a reason to cheer, instead of them cheering to try to get something going, etc. It's lame.

I'll be interested to watch an ISU home game (if they are ever on espn or something)

You want loud...check out a home Cal State Fullerton basketball game. Wowzers, every once in a great while, you'll hear something.

But the loudest sports event I was ever at was Angels/Yanks (the game they eliminated the Yanks) the year they won the World Series. It was basically the beginning of the thunder sticks and you couldn't hear a thing.

2nd loudest was the Pads/Yanks (1st Pads home game of the series). The place was really rocking, well until Brosius sealed it with a big HR.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Nov 30, 2005 -> 04:31 PM)
Loudest I've ever heard was the Arizona/Illinois elite 8 game last year, especially when Williams hit the 3 to tie it.

My ears literally hurt for 2 days after that game.

^^^^^^^^^^

My ears were ringing after Deron drained that trey.

QUOTE(IlliniKrush @ Nov 30, 2005 -> 04:35 PM)
Selling out with season tickets is a pretty good step.

Sometimes the adults at AH sit on their hands too much. You have to give them a reason to cheer, instead of them cheering to try to get something going, etc. It's lame.

I'll be interested to watch an ISU home game (if they are ever on espn or something)

We've got the oldie oldsters too, but, most of them have been thru thick and thin.

We're on national TV 5 times this year. Don't count the Ohio State game, though. That's in Des Moines. The only two home games that are on ESPN for now are Texas and Kansas. No idea why Iowa isn't. But, I remember some guys here watched the Kansas game at Hilton last year and saw just how rockin it can get.

7:00 p.m. ET Georgia Tech at Michigan State ESPN

7:30 p.m. ET Minnesota at Maryland ESPN2

8:00 p.m. ET Northwestern at Virginia ESPNU

9:00 p.m. ET Duke at Indiana ESPN

9:30 p.m. ET North Carolina State at Iowa ESPN2

Can the B10 pull out three?

MSU & Iowa need to win, then hope NU or IU can win their game.

Edited by WHarris1

QUOTE(WHarris1 @ Nov 30, 2005 -> 04:57 PM)

7:00 p.m. ET Georgia Tech at Michigan State ESPN

7:30 p.m. ET Minnesota at Maryland  ESPN2

8:00 p.m. ET Northwestern at Virginia ESPNU

9:00 p.m. ET Duke at Indiana  ESPN

9:30 p.m. ET North Carolina State at Iowa ESPN2

Can the B10 pull out three?

MSU & Iowa need to win, then hope NU or IU can win their game.

Iowa is giving away pizza to try and get students in their student section tonight. I'll be surprised in Iowa has much of a home court advantage. Carver sucks, but you Big Ten fans know this.

Heh.

Though Iowa State has dropped three games there during this year’s Big 12 Conference season, the arena in Ames, Iowa, has been said to provide the top home-court advantage in the country. That designation didn’t come from some Midwestern newspaper, either. It came from the Raleigh News and Observer, which is published in the same area code as such venues as Duke’s Cameron Indoor Stadium and North Carolina’s Dean Smith Center.

Come to think of it, I'd kill for a home-and-home with Illinois or Indiana. Speaking of which, when do they match up this year?