Official College Basketball Thread

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Dec 1, 2005 -> 10:31 AM)
The game's outcome obviously didn't come out as planned, but I'm pleased with the way IU's being viewed after last night.  Here's an Andy Katz article:

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/bigtenacccha...andy&id=2243114

sorry grease, but with the lack of discipline, the hoosiers will not win much.. they have skill and heart, but in order for this group of individuals ( i can't say team) to win they will need more basketballs on the court... they will be as good as the old bob huggins cincy groups...

also... why only thread for NCAA hoops? it's gonna get crowded..

Edited by sec159row2

QUOTE(sec159row2 @ Dec 1, 2005 -> 01:22 PM)
sorry grease, but with the lack of discipline, the hoosiers will not win much.. they have skill and heart, but in order for this group of individuals ( i can't say team) to win they will need more basketballs on the court... 

also...  why only thread for NCAA hoops?  it's gonna get crowded..

This team is far from selfish. You haven't seen enough of this team yet, to say that. IU's going to be solid this year. I'm not worried.

And about the NCAA hoops thread being this way, this is the 3rd year it's been like this. People like it, and it's always worked fine.

QUOTE(Jimbo's Drinker @ Dec 2, 2005 -> 01:50 AM)
I am starting to see why Illini fans hated Self's on court coaching.

I know this team is young, but for god's sakes play the freshman.  They are so talented, but he plays Christian Moody and Jeff I s*** the bed Hawkins.

I feel better thank y ou.

Rush is playing a ton and he looks good. Chalmers and Downs probably need to see the floor more. Wright has potential and yeah he has potential but I'm not sure he is ready to contribute anything at all this year especially if he is playing PF game. His post up game and post defense is brutal and he can't shoot the basketball at all.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan99 @ Dec 2, 2005 -> 01:52 AM)
Rush is playing a ton and he looks good.  Chalmers and Downs probably need to see the floor more.  Wright has potential and yeah he has potential but I'm not sure he is ready to contribute anything at all this year especially if he is playing PF game.  His post up game and post defense is brutal and he can't shoot the basketball at all.

I was watching Sherron Collins over most of the KU game...he is dreamy.

I just don't understand why programs like Kentucky, Duke, Kansas etc don't facilitate a running style with the amount of good athletes they can and do recruit. There's no reason for a squad with Kansas' athletes to be running a halfcourt set of any style, leave that for Bobby Knight here at Texas Tech who has to make the most of what players he has. Kansas could make up for alot of the inexperience ala UNC with trapping and pushing the ball, not forcing your freshmen to think, instead just letting them play.

QUOTE(Jimbo's Drinker @ Dec 2, 2005 -> 07:58 PM)
I am beginning to see why Illinois fans hated Self so much.  Kansas fans cannot stand this high-lo BS.

I'm pretty sure most Illinois fans loved Self when he was there. The only time I really saw him bashed was after the ND tourney loss.

The high-lo is the offense of the Big 10, so it seems.

Yep, and here's what Derrick Rose's coach, Robert Smith, thinks about it...

“It’s the Big Ten. No question about it. It’s their style of play kids just don’t want to be in. I mean, look at a Wisconsin game where their scores are something like 42-40. Who wants to play that kind of basketball? Our kids don’t,” Smith said.

Most Illinois fans underestimated current and former Illini Coach Bill Self’s recruiting abilities, but I don’t think that’s an issue anymore. A current Big Ten assistant coach at another institution, who asked to remain anonymous, had this to say: “Bill Self is good. The coaches in Chicago love him, and he’s smooth and knows the game. Bill’s the kind of guy that can go into the clubs in Chicago and fit in right now and not miss a beat. Weber on the other hand, is a coach and a damn good one. No one can argue that, but what you see is what you get.”

Kentucky's halfcourt style of play is what helped push Randolph Morris to declare early. He was told that Kentucky would play uptempo style, and it never happened, to alot of kids dismay, including Joe Crawford and Rajon Rondo.