Official College Basketball Thread

QUOTE(Rex Hudler @ Dec 6, 2005 -> 10:50 PM)
In that era, you may remember Mark Jewell, was was from Lafayette (Indiana Mr. Basketball 1986, I think?).  He was recruited to Iowa by Coach Raveling and then Tom Davis took over.  Mark didn't fit into that offense as well and transferred to Evansville.  He and I became real good friends at UE.  We went up to Lafayette to see the Iowa game in his reds*** year, hence the above story.

I don't go back to the Raveling era. I just know my father hated him. (He still thinks Lute is the best coach on the planet) Raveling never had a team finish in the top half of the Big Ten.

I think I've only been to 1 (maybe 2) games at Carver-Hawkeye. Most often I saw them play at Welsh-Ryan, so that probably has something to do with why I thought they were so good. Beating up on NW with more than half of the stadium being filled with black and gold.

I loved Davis' style. -- I could run, hit set-shot 3's, and had surprising rebounding abilities despite my size, so that's probably why I liked 'em so much too. -- I still follow the program, but with a bit of contempt.

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Dec 6, 2005 -> 08:03 PM)
That's definitely forgot about defense.  The past few years, defense was something we could hold our hat on.  This year, we think we can just outscore everyone, and defense doesn't matter.  Apparently it f***ing does.

I'm hoping that the return of DJ can spark some defense for these assholes. It seems that only The Rod and DJ ever play defense on this team.

Frazier thigh injury worries Illini

By Neil Milbert

Tribune staff reporter

December 6, 2005, 8:06 PM CST

CHAMPAIGN -- The pain Illinois coach Bruce Weber is feeling in his broken right ankle has been compounded because of a possibly serious thigh injury to backup point guard Chester Frazier.

The freshman was averaging 16 minutes per game before sitting out Monday night's victory over Arkansas-Little Rock. Weber fears the consequences if the injury is serious.

"It could really put us in a bind unless somebody comes through for us," Weber said.

Frazier did not practice Tuesday and was scheduled to have a magnetic resonance imaging exam Tuesday night.

"[The doctors] are pessimistic right now," Weber said before practice. "We'll have to see what the MRI says. It could be a muscle contusion, a muscle pull, a muscle tear. He could be out three weeks, four weeks, the whole season.

"The worst-case scenario: it's a bad tear. The best-case scenario: Chester says he's playing Thursday night [against Georgetown].

"We're hoping it's a little bit of a contusion or a little bit of a pull. … At the end of practice [Monday] he said that area was bothering him. He says he doesn't know how he hurt it."

Frazier had played in the seven previous games for the 11th-ranked Illini (8-0), sometimes in relief of Dee Brown at point guard and other times working with Brown in a three-guard offense. He has scored only 10 points but, attesting to his skill as a playmaker, has 15 assists against only four turnovers. Weber also has been impressed with Frazier's defensive work and how hard he plays.

If Frazier has to miss the Georgetown game and Saturday's game at Oregon, Rich McBride will move from the off-guard position to the point to sub for Brown and Jamar Smith will work at off-guard.

"If we have Rich handle the ball for a few minutes here and there, maybe we can surmount that," Weber said.

If Frazier is sidelined for an extended period, redshirt freshman Calvin Brock is another option as a backup point guard.

If the injury is season-ending, Frazier no doubt would appeal to the NCAA to make him an injury redshirt so he could return as a freshman next season.

The injury could be worse than everyone originally thought it was. This obviously isn't good news, as he's the only one i have confidence running the point with Dee on the bench.

QUOTE(Rex Hudler @ Dec 6, 2005 -> 08:24 PM)
Jason how long you been an Iowa fan?  How far back do you go with Hawkeye Hoops?

Earliest I can remember is the days of Woolridge playing the guard position. I definately remember the Jeff Settles years (bad back got him in) and they had guys like Kent McCausland, Ryan Bowen (NBA guy).

I can't quite tell you what year that was, but I'd have to say I've been following them for 10 years. That said, I don't get too many games televised out here (luckily I've been able to see 3 already this year) and I'm not one that really follows recruiting (so best I can do is watch the games and see what they do).

Iowa is the sole college basketball team I route for (I'll pull for Arizona in the pac 10 and I've liked the Zags since there 1st tourney run...I happened to see them play twice, it was a tourney Iowa was also in and there fans were totally awesome).

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Dec 6, 2005 -> 08:34 PM)
I still think Andre Woolridge was VASTLY underrated, and am consistently surprised not to see him playing in the NBA.

I go back to the Gamble/Armstrong/Marble teams....

I recently ran into Wade Lookingbill. THE GREAT WADE LOOKINGBILL! -- The MSU game after Chris Street died was pretty special too.

Woolridge was a good player. I can remember him giving it his total all in the tourney one year and the Hawks just fell short. I obviously wasn't well knowledged than but I always wondered what happened to him (I figure he played in Europe or something) because he was a pretty darn good player and just after him Iowa ended up having Ricky Davis (if only we could have kept him more than one year). Hell for all I know Ricky Davis was there the same time as Woolridge (in fact I thought maybe Woolridge's last year was Davis only year at Iowa).

Edit: I just got off my butt and looked it up and Woolridge is playing overseas.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Dec 7, 2005 -> 12:50 AM)
Earliest I can remember is the days of Woolridge playing the guard position.  I definately remember the Jeff Settles years (bad back got him in) and they had guys like Kent McCausland, Ryan Bowen (NBA guy). 

I can't quite tell you what year that was, but I'd have to say I've been following them for 10 years.  That said, I don't get too many games televised out here (luckily I've been able to see 3 already this year) and I'm not one that really follows recruiting (so best I can do is watch the games and see what they do).

Iowa is the sole college basketball team I route for (I'll pull for Arizona in the pac 10 and I've liked the Zags since there 1st tourney run...I happened to see them play twice, it was a tourney Iowa was also in and there fans were totally awesome).

haha Jess Settles, he was there for a better part of the 90's. Kinda of like the Van Wilder of Iowa, there about 7 years, no clue about the parties.

I've liked Gonzaga for a long time because my favorite NBA was John Stockton.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Dec 7, 2005 -> 12:53 AM)
Woolridge was a good player.  I can remember him giving it his total all in the tourney one year and the Hawks just fell short.  I obviously wasn't well knowledged than but I always wondered what happened to him (I figure he played in Europe or something) because he was a pretty darn good player and just after him Iowa ended up having Ricky Davis (if only we could have kept him more than one year).  Hell for all I know Ricky Davis was there the same time as Woolridge (in fact I thought maybe Woolridge's last year was Davis only year at Iowa). 

Edit: I just got off my butt and looked it up and Woolridge is playing overseas.

I don't think Davis played with Woolridge at all because Davis and Dean Oliver were both freshmen at Iowa in 98. I know that since Oliver also went to the high school I went to like Jeff Horner did. Woolridge's last year was right before that in 97.

QUOTE(WilliamTell @ Dec 6, 2005 -> 10:55 PM)
haha Jess Settles, he was there for a better part of the 90's. Kinda of like the Van Wilder of Iowa, there about 7 years, no clue about the parties.

I've liked Gonzaga for a long time because my favorite NBA was John Stockton.

Ya, Settles was really good when he was 1st there and than injured his back. If I recall he had a redshirt season and than something like two medical red shirts. I always remember Kent McCausland lighting it up from beyond the arc (I think at least one of his years he was right around the countries best 3 point shooter), with Bowen, Settles and it must have been Woolridge at the time.

Those were some pretty solid Hawk teams. I remember I got to see Tom Davis last game with the Hawkeyes (maybe I've gone crazy though, but I think he lost in the tourney and it was his final game...I'm thinking it was when Uconn knocked us out the year they won it all).

QUOTE(WilliamTell @ Dec 6, 2005 -> 11:00 PM)
I don't think Davis played with Woolridge at all because Davis and Dean Oliver were both freshmen at Iowa in 98. I know that since Oliver also went to the high school I went to like Jeff Horner did. Woolridge's last year was right before that in 97.

Thanks for cleraing that up. It all kind of blends in for me. I knew it was either the same year or one year apart.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Dec 7, 2005 -> 01:01 AM)
Ya, Settles was really good when he was 1st there and than injured his back.  If I recall he had a redshirt season and than something like two medical red shirts.  I always remember Kent McCausland lighting it up from beyond the arc (I think at least one of his years he was right around the countries best 3 point shooter), with Bowen, Settles and it must have been Woolridge at the time. 

Those were some pretty solid Hawk teams.  I remember I got to see Tom Davis last game with the Hawkeyes (maybe I've gone crazy though, but I think he lost in the tourney and it was his final game...I'm thinking it was when Uconn knocked us out the year they won it all).

They might've, I forgot who did. They did have some good teams then. They also had a guy named Murray, I fogot his first name but he was pretty good. And I think they had a center with the last name of Miller, I forgot his first name aswell. Then they had Chris Kingsbery, spelled something like that who was also a great 3-point shooter. It's a shame they didn't go too far into the tournament with all of their talent around the 94 and 95 years.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Dec 7, 2005 -> 01:02 AM)
Thanks for cleraing that up.  It all kind of blends in for me.  I knew it was either the same year or one year apart.

Yeah no problem. I kind of have that problem too. I just consider Woolridge with the guys like Settles and Bowen etc. He did play with those teams but I guess he was the youngest.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Dec 6, 2005 -> 09:22 PM)
So Bail, the Squawks, and Indiana all lose to mid majors in the same night??

Hilarious.  Actually I guess St. Joe's isn't a mid major now that I think of it.  But still funny.

Being one of the resident MVC supporters here, I always thought the best team(s) in the MVC could beat the middle of the pack in the Big 10 more often than not. SIU beat Indiana at SIU a few years ago and almost beat Illinois at the Las Vegas Holiday Tourney a few years.

Northern Iowa is the favorite in the MVC and the game was at Northern Iowa. Technically it is an upset but not really in my mind.

Indiana State is another story. I thought they would stink this year.

After UNI lost to a mediocre ISU team that has already lost at home to Iona and Fresno State, UNI isn't quite as highly regarded.

But man, Jess Settles. I was so shocked the season after he graduated, ya know, cause I thought he got to keep playing there like forever. :)

QUOTE(Brian @ Dec 7, 2005 -> 08:28 AM)
Being one of the resident MVC supporters here, I always thought the best team(s) in the MVC could beat the middle of the pack in the Big 10 more often than not. SIU beat Indiana at SIU a few years ago and almost beat Illinois at the Las Vegas Holiday Tourney a few years.

Northern Iowa is the favorite in the MVC and the game was at Northern Iowa. Technically it is an upset but not really in my mind.

Indiana State is another story. I thought they would stink this year.

Haha I know that The Valley plays good ball, I just said it in a certain way because I hate all 3 of those teams. UNI is very good this year, that didn't surprise me at all that they beat Iowa.

Ahh vintage Johnny Orr:

"There are five real good recruits in the state. We got three of them. One couldn’t get into school, and the other went to (the University of) Iowa...which is about the same thing." - Coach Johnny Orr

just want to enter a complaint about this forum... one thread for college basketball is outa control... i'm not going thru 60-some odd pages to find out the various topics that are being talked about... so please bear with me if i repeat topics..... how long will this thread be by march?... i wish i could offer a suggestion with my complaint, but I don't know the intricacies(sp?) of messege boards.... but, i guess this has worked in the past, personnally I stop reading threads after about the second or third page, cause at that point they get pretty redundant....

this being said... how many games will mike davis lose for indiana this year... outcoached back to back games... he's like a weatherman... he can be wrong and still have a job...

From Katz's article today on MSU:

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/columns/stor...andy&id=2250617

The Spartans have more depth, and had more size, and a better break. BC matched their toughness and tenacity. Still, the Spartans, not the incomplete Eagles at this juncture, have the look of a potential Final Four team. For some reason Izzo said there was a perception that the Spartans had slipped in Hawaii. They only did in losing two games, one that could have gone their way a number of times. The Spartans didn't fade. They're still right where they've always been, in the spotlight of the season-long title chase.

Damn good article by Andy talking about how they shouldn't have dropped so far in the polls.

I'd be hard pressed to find 4 teams in the land better than MSU yet they are ranked No. 14. Just goes to show how much the voters overreact to a couple of early season losses in Hawaii.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Dec 7, 2005 -> 08:50 AM)
Haha I know that The Valley plays good ball, I just said it in a certain way because I hate all 3 of those teams.  UNI is very good this year, that didn't surprise me at all that they beat Iowa.

Doesn't he still have a year of eligibility left?

Edited by WilliamTell

QUOTE(sec159row2 @ Dec 7, 2005 -> 10:17 AM)
just want to enter a complaint about this forum...  one thread for college basketball is outa control... i'm not going thru 60-some odd pages to find out the various topics that are being talked about... so please bear with me if i repeat topics..... how long will this thread be by march?...  i wish i could offer a suggestion with my complaint, but I don't know the intricacies(sp?) of messege boards....  but, i guess this has worked in the past, personnally I stop reading threads after about the second or third page, cause at that point they get pretty redundant.... 

this being said...  how many games will mike davis lose for indiana this year... outcoached back to back games... he's like a weatherman... he can be wrong and still have a job...

Maybe having a thread for each conference, but then the Big Ten would probably be 25 pages or so by now. Maybe having an NCAA December thread, idk.

QUOTE(sec159row2 @ Dec 7, 2005 -> 11:17 AM)
this being said...  how many games will mike davis lose for indiana this year... outcoached back to back games... he's like a weatherman... he can be wrong and still have a job...

Davis was outcoached by Eastern Michigan? :huh:

No one can defend Davis last night; there's no explaining why Ben wasn't in at the end of the game, with what he did earlier in the night.

With that being said, a lot of people think they can have and eat their cake on the issue of Mike Davis. I don't think he's ever received credit for one good thing this team's done while he was here, but he's certainly the only one to ever receive credit for a loss.

I know, I know Krush you've said it 9 times in the last 24 hours, but you're glad Davis is still here. Have a cookie.

Michigan State hasn't looked that great this year, which is why they have dropped pretty far in the polls. However, they looked VERY good last night in beating a solid Boston College club. They are probably the favorites to win the Big 10 with all that talent and scoring they have.