Official College Basketball Thread

Illini vs. Georgetown tonight at the hall.

Without a doubt our biggest game of the year.

Gtowns leading scorer is their big man, which plays to our defensive weakness.

Augustine needs to come up with huge game defensively (for once) for us to win this.

It's about time i'm excited to go to a home game this season.

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We're -7 right now.

Need to win this game at home as there's a good chance we drop the game saturday at oregon. Although who knows...gtown beat them by 14 in oregon last week.

Going to be a tough game, especially with their strength being inside, as steve said.

Illinois coach Bruce Weber received some bad news Wednesday when doctors said backup point guard Chester Frazier would be out four to eight weeks because of a slight tear in a left thigh muscle and a strained quadriceps.

The loss of the freshman playmaker means Weber doesn't have a true point guard to back up Dee Brown. Plans call for Rich McBride to move from off guard to the point when Brown is rested during Thursday night's home game with Georgetown and in Saturday's game against Oregon in Portland.

Weber plans to try Calvin Brock at the point. The 6-foot-5-inch redshirt freshman toured Spain last summer with a Big Ten team Weber coached.

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2005 @ Dec 8, 2005 -> 08:38 PM)
The Illini are pissin down the throats of G-town.  Augustine looks like a much different player this game.

Most of the year he has looked he has been playing like a b****. He is getting thrown around and really takes anything up hard. His defense has seemed to be non existent for the most part. But this game he looks extremely good... liking the hustle.

Hibbert already has like twelve blocks.

QUOTE(qwerty @ Dec 8, 2005 -> 08:45 PM)
Most of the year he has looked he has been playing like a b****. He is getting thrown around and really takes anything up hard. His defense has seemed to be non existent for the most part. But this game he looks extremely good... liking the hustle.

Hibbert already has like twelve blocks.

Well, I haven't seen every game. From what i've seen, he looks improved. Now that my work schedule has changed, i'll be able to watch just about every game. So i'll see if what you're saying is true.

Edited by Jordan4life_2005

what a good, solid, impressive win for us.

augustine/pruitt really contained their big men and we were very patient on offense.

I was outside in a blizzard for 2 hours to get floor seats, i'm cold.

Edited by SnB

QUOTE(SnB @ Dec 8, 2005 -> 10:13 PM)
what a good, solid impressive win for us.

augustine/pruitt really contained their big man and we were very pacient on offense.

Defense did a flat out incredible job. This team will be scary if they can consistently figure out a way to just get to 70 points every game.

augustine/pruitt really contained their big man and we were very pacient on offense.

The defense was very good. The offense, however, sucked. Dee has got to start shooting better. He's gotta be shooting like 35% so far.

I did. He was very impressive defensively, and is very athletic. But he has a long ways to go with posting up and his passing is flat out horrendous right now. But he's played well against two good big men when he's been on ESPN the past few years. Last year against Tyler Hansbrough, and this year against a very good 2007 big man Aaron Pogue, almost a Sean May clone.

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2005 @ Dec 8, 2005 -> 10:21 PM)
The defense was very good.  The offense,  however,  sucked.  Dee has got to start shooting better.  He's gotta be shooting like 35% so far.

Dee did not shoot the ball all that well tonight it's true, but he is forcing fewer shots early in the possession. I dont know how many of Dee's shots tonight came with the shot clock running out and the rest of the team standing around, but I know it was a rather high number. Dee played well on both ends of the floor low shooting percentage notwithstanding. The other point to make on Dee's shooting is that he has always been a streaky shooter. He will still come around.

Also, I have to tip my hat to Rich McBride tonight. The two 3s early in the game were huge and he played absolutely great defense almost all game (only 1 real breakdown that I saw when he got beat on a backdoor).

The last point I have to make is that Bruce is always coaching as the game goes on. Especially with Jamar on defense making sure he is in the right position. Jamar's defense will get exponentially better this season with Bruce's coaching. (One of the perks to being in your 5th year at Illinois is that the tickets get way better and I can hear much of what Bruce says). That is all.

Those are some well-constructed sentences. What school do you go to again? :fight

offensively, illinois is challenged right now, but as long as they continue to play the defense they've been playing, they are going to be in every game.

as illinilaw said above, i have to give props to rich mcbride. his defense was outstanding and his two early threes really gave illinois a cushion they never relinquished.

i will take 9-0. i never thought they'd be 9-0 at this point so it's a pleasant surprise. at this point, i think a 14-0 or 13-1 non-conference record is likely. wins at this time of the year are money in the bank.

also, to address some of the discussion of the unc win above, that is a huge win regardless of the current status of carolina. that is a team that is only going to get better as the season and you can bet they will rack up some quality wins. that game could provide a nice boost to illinois's rpi.

I'd give Illinois a B or B+ for the effort last night. Their defense was very good. Georgetown was missing some open shots, but they didn't have a whole lot of those. Illinois was much better defensively in the first half than the second. I didn't see most of the second half (damn snow) but it appears that Green went off. Their offense is still off however. Their shooting percentage was very low, even for Augustine. They were not getting open shots, although Hibbert affected a few of them. They hit their outside shots early and they never really lost the lead. They need to tell Randle that he can't shoot, I don't even watch all the games and I've seen him airball 2 or 3 open 3's. If they want to kick-start their offense they need to start Smith over Randle. With Smith and McBride out on the perimeter, they can make it difficult for teams to concentrate on Augustine and Brown. Their defense might suffer a bit though.

As for Georgetown, I kind of wonder what their coach is thinking. Bowman is their second best player, maybe their best, and he only took 6 shots, most of those from outside. That's pretty poor planning, because he isn't the greatest shooter. He averaged over 15 PPG the last two year and this year he's down around 9. I can understand having him float outside a bit if Hibbert is doing some damage, but he didn't do much last night. It's pretty interesting, in their two losses, Hibbert had 6 and 4 points, in their 3 wins he had 20, 23, and 16. That should tell you something. They need to figure out a way to maximize the effectiveness of their guys, because they should not have two losses already with Hibbert, Bowman, Green, and Cook. Those are all solid players that can do some damage, but it seems when one prospers the others don't.

Edited by ZoomSlowik

QUOTE(IlliniKrush @ Dec 9, 2005 -> 01:39 PM)
Am i even able to watch it?

If you have full court. So probably not.

Anyone in Iowa, though. The crowd is expected to be one of the loudest in the history of Hilton Coliseum, which is saying a lot.