Official College Basketball Thread

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I couldn't watch that Duke game toward the end. God, I'm starting to hate them almost as much as Notre Dame. Couple of things:

1) Texas was in deep s*** the minute Buckman went out. They really only have 4 dependable players to start with (maybe 4 and a half, Paulino is okay), and he's one of them. Texas isn't very deep, they really rely on their top couple of players.

2) Texas doesn't match up very well with Duke, that seemed obvious. Duke doesn't turn it over very much, is a very good outside shooting team, and pretty much all of their guys can finish in transition. Texas needed some more easy baskets in transition, turned it over too much (which lead to a lot of easy baskets), and once they got down big had virtually no chance because they aren't a proficient outside shooting team. That neutralized the advantage they had inside offensively (Aldride and Tucker still combined for 35).

3) Redick shot the lights out. Texas was giving him way too many opportunities. Tucker (or anyone else) just couldn't stay with him on all of those screens.

4) The refs were pretty brutal. They may not have ultimately decided the game, but it would have allowed Texas to stay a little closer if the calls were more even. The Longhorns were consistently getting mugged in the paint and rarely seemed to get the call, while there were some ticky-tack fouls called on the other end. Duke shot twice as many free throws, which gave them some free points.

5) Texas would be very tough to stop if they had a proficient 2 guard that can consistently stick an outside shot. However, they don't, and it appears that it will probably be their downfall at some point.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Dec 10, 2005 -> 09:55 PM)
I sure hope the voters don't reward Indiana by moving them up a few spots.  Sure they killed Kentucky today, but Kentucky really isn't very good (amazing i'm saying that) and you just cannot lose to Indiana State.

And Illinois.....Bruce is just something else.  Unreal they are 10-0.

You also said you hate Indiana on Tuesday, so of course that's a quality analysis right there. I know I'm am IU fan, but I'm not saying Aboz is right. I'm predicting IU doesn't move in the rankings. The two games this week cancel each other out.

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Dec 10, 2005 -> 11:53 PM)
Never said they were.  Voters in the coaches and AP polls both put them at 15 though, and Indiana should be rewarded as if they beat a #15 team.

They will, just as they'll be rewarded for losing to Indiana St.

My point was that you can't right off someone's analysis because they aren't an IU fan. If that were the case, we could write off everything you say about IU because you are an IU fan. I'm saying he was correct in saying Kentucky isn't that great of a team, not that they shouldn't be credited for beating them.

QUOTE(IlliniKrush @ Dec 11, 2005 -> 12:58 AM)
They will, just as they'll be rewarded for losing to Indiana St.

My point was that you can't right off someone's analysis because they aren't an IU fan.  If that were the case, we could write off everything you say about IU because you are an IU fan. I'm saying he was correct in saying Kentucky isn't that great of a team, not that they shouldn't be credited for beating them.

I took what he said as saying that Indiana shouldn't be credited for beating them, because of them not being great. So basically this argument was about nothing, if you're saying the exact same thing I intended.

And yeah Heads, they are pretty ugly. They're filling that new arena up.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Dec 11, 2005 -> 01:13 AM)
So I heard this Aussie Guy from Melbourne is playing well for the Hoosiers, Ben Allen I think his name is.

He's been really solid, and he's got such a sweet shot. He only had limited play today, but on the season he's 11/15 from three point land and shooting 66% from the field.

The two previous games before UK his lines were:

21 points (5/6 from three) and 7 boards

15 points (2/3 from three) and 5 boards

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Dec 10, 2005 -> 11:18 PM)
You also said you hate Indiana on Tuesday, so of course that's a quality analysis right there.  I know I'm am IU fan, but I'm not saying Aboz is right.  I'm predicting IU doesn't move in the rankings.  The two games this week cancel each other out.

The fact that I don't like Indiana doesn't change the fact they lost to a bottom of the barrel Valley team this week. It also doesn't change the fact that Kentucky is only ranked because of their name, and other than Rajon Rondo, doesn't have a single player worth much of anything with Randolph Morris gone.

Indiana is a top 20 team and will be dancing this year (unless Mike Davis pisses the bed again) but to say my common sense anaylsis means nothing because I don't like Indiana is stupid. That's like me saying anything you say about Illinois doesn't count because you don't like them. Regardless of how you feel, it doens't change the fact that an accurate statement is right.

IU will move up, regardless of whether UK sucks or not.

Still one of the top 3 "names" in college hoops and for that reason, they will move up.

But yes they do suck.

Also, once IU gets DJ White back, I think they are going to be a top 10 team, without a doubt. I've seen them enough now, especially if Ratliff plays well.

Hell the thought of a double post of White/Killingsworth plus Vaden, Strickland and Ratliff is damn scary to me.

Right now my jury is still out on Illinois until I see them in Big 10 play. To me they've only played two possible tourney teams in Xavier and UNC. Still think they'll be good, but I've got them along with Louisville as my two most "ranked way too high" teams in the land. Unless McBride and Jamar Smith are taking the place of Deron and Head, I just don't see how they can be top 10. That's a lot of talent to lose.

It was pretty damn funny yesterday at the game there was this IU fan I was talking to about the Big 10. So I say I think the order will go in the Big 10: 1) MSU, 2) ILL, 3) IU. He says, have you ever been to a game at Illinois? I say no. He says, well I have a few friends there who talked all of this crap last year when they had that good team so I finally gave in and went to a game there (pauses for a second) It's funny going there because you look up in the rafters and all they have is a final four banner from 1987 or whenever it was, then the rest is cobwebs.

P.S. Hey greasy, you were right, Killingsworth is the best big man in the Big 10. Although I still think Paul Davis is going to hold his own when they match up.

Also ILL fans don't flame me, I don't hate you guys.

QUOTE(aboz56 @ Dec 11, 2005 -> 08:50 AM)
Also, once IU gets DJ White back, I think they are going to be a top 10 team, without a doubt. I've seen them enough now, especially if Ratliff plays well.

Hell the thought of a double post of White/Killingsworth plus Vaden, Strickland and Ratliff is damn scary to me.

P.S. Hey greasy, you were right, Killingsworth is the best big man in the Big 10.  Although I still think Paul Davis is going to hold his own when they match up.

It's going to be absolutely huge when this team gets DJ back. Vaden's been having to play the 4 a majority of the time, since DJ's been out. He's held his own, but he's much more suited for the SF. This is just going to make Vaden look better, and we're going to have a lot more options on offense.

Killingsworth-Davis will definitely be a fun matchup. IU and MSU get to do the home and home this year, so we'll really see what they're made of.

QUOTE(maggsmaggs @ Dec 11, 2005 -> 09:24 AM)
I think that they are the only team now that has ten wins.  They looked really good at Oregon and I think they now the co-favorites with Mich. St. for the Big Ten title.  Iowa, Indiana, Wisconsin are good, but they are clearly not with Ill and Mich. St.

Indiana>MSU imo.

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Dec 11, 2005 -> 02:18 PM)
It's going to be absolutely huge when this team gets DJ back.  Vaden's been having to play the 4 a majority of the time, since DJ's been out.  He's held his own, but he's much more suited for the SF.  This is just going to make Vaden look better, and we're going to have a lot more options on offense. 

Killingsworth-Davis will definitely be a fun matchup.  IU and MSU get to do the home and home this year, so we'll really see what they're made of.

While I agree, I think there will be an adjustment period once White gets back as the teams learns to play together again. I am also really looking forward to Ben Allen getting more minutes. He's definitely a role player, but I think he'll be very good down the road, especially when his confidence to play inside grows.

I like the potential I see with IU, but the road will not be without a few bumps along the way.