Official College Basketball Thread

QUOTE(Rex Hudler @ Dec 11, 2005 -> 11:55 AM)
While I agree, I think there will be an adjustment period once White gets back as the teams learns to play together again.  I am also really looking forward to Ben Allen getting more minutes.  He's definitely a role player, but I think he'll be very good down the road, especially when his confidence to play inside grows.

I like the potential I see with IU, but the road will not be without a few bumps along the way.

I agree about Allen. He's been a very bright spot this year. I'd have no problem seeing him get more minutes.

Allen and Killingsworth haven't been on the floor at the same time much, which I understand, because there's the potential of fouls. However, I wonder if we can ever see 3 big men on the floor at once when DJ's back. With Allen's shot, he'd have no problem playing as a small forward. That'd be fun to see, and I feel it could be successful.

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(aboz56 @ Dec 11, 2005 -> 07:50 AM)
It was pretty damn funny yesterday at the game there was this IU fan I was talking to about the Big 10.  So I say I think the order will go in the Big 10: 1) MSU, 2) ILL, 3) IU.  He says, have you ever been to a game at Illinois?  I say no.  He says, well I have a few friends there who talked all of this crap last year when they had that good team so I finally gave in and went to a game there (pauses for a second)  It's funny going there because you look up in the rafters and all they have is a final four banner from 1987 or whenever it was, then the rest is cobwebs.

Just a random question; why does every single IU fan play the history card?

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Dec 11, 2005 -> 05:09 PM)
Indiana could very well win the conference if White and Marco stay healthy AND if they get consistent guardplay.  But I have been very underwhelmed by the guards Indiana has, so they need to find somebody who can get it done at that spot in conference play.

I agree. But I think that will change when Vaden becomes more of a wing player once White gets back and as Ratliff continues to adjust to the broken hand. Ratliff doesn't look real athletic, but the guy can jump out of the gym and I think his upside is huge. How much of that we see this year remains to be seen.

I'm optimistic, but you won't see me around here predicting any champinships just yet.

QUOTE(WHarris1 @ Dec 11, 2005 -> 05:22 PM)

I can give you two answers... pick the one you like the best.

1. Have you ever seen me play the history card?

2. Because we have the card to play!

QUOTE(WHarris1 @ Dec 11, 2005 -> 11:22 AM)

IMO, the history card only applies if you've experienced the history you are talking about. Do you think i play the Hawks history card to Blues fans? They've never won a cup, and we last won one in 1961. I could care less about titles that were won when i wasn't born/was very little and under a completely different regime.

Also, we didn't just make a final four we made it to the national championship game. Bad year to do it, as both UNC and Illinois were 2 of the best teams in recent memory IMO.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Dec 12, 2005 -> 12:56 AM)
Luther at the Illini game in Portland Saturday night....(Rockets had a game at the Blazers Sunday).  Great to see him there (was on camera during the game a couple times too) probably my all time favorite college hoops player.

Plus, I like the hat.

ESPN/USA Today Poll

1. Duke (30) 9-0 774

2. Connecticut (1) 7-0 738

3. Villanova 6-0 716

4. Louisville 5-0 654

5. Memphis 7-1 613

6. Florida 9-0 595

7. Texas 8-1 591

8. Illinois 10-0 558

9. Oklahoma 5-1 529

10. Washington 8-0 501

11. Gonzaga 6-2 474

12. Michigan State 7-2 383

13. Boston College 6-2 354

14. UCLA 7-1 330

15. George Washington 7-0 306

16. Wake Forest 7-1 264

17. Maryland 7-2 259

18. Indiana 5-2 237

19. N.C. State 6-1 197

20. North Carolina 5-1 157

21. Nevada 6-1 126

22. Kentucky 6-3 119

23. Iowa 7-3 85

24. Wisconsin 7-1 75

25. Ohio State 4-0 62

OTHERS RECEIVING VOTES

Michigan 58, Syracuse 58, Arizona 47, Pittsburgh 42, Houston 31, LSU 22, West Virginia 22, Bucknell 19, Ohio 15, Xavier 11, Notre Dame 7, Buffalo 7, Colorado 6, Kansas State 5, Air Force 5, Alabama 5, Iona 4, Clemson 4, Northern Iowa 3, Vanderbilt 3, NC Wilmington 2, New Mexico 1, Oklahoma State 1.

DROPPED FROM RANKINGS

Alabama 19, Arizona 25.

Texas is going to get killed by anybody that can shoot 3's. In a game early this year against West Virginia, they got KILLED from beyond the arc and only won because WV couldn't make a free throw in the last minute, and then we all saw the Duke game.

Also, how is Kentucky ranked?? They blow. Also, I think we will find out as time goes on that #1 and #2 in this poll are in the wrong order.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Dec 12, 2005 -> 01:52 PM)
Texas is going to get killed by anybody that can shoot 3's.  In a game early this year against West Virginia, they got KILLED from beyond the arc and only won because WV couldn't make a free throw in the last minute, and then we all saw the Duke game.

Also, how is Kentucky ranked?? They blow.  Also, I think we will find out as time goes on that #1 and #2 in this poll are in the wrong order.

Texas will fall again at Hilton Coliseum in January.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Dec 12, 2005 -> 02:52 PM)
Also, I think we will find out as time goes on that #1 and #2 in this poll are in the wrong order.

That'd be interesting. I just hope UConn doesn't drop below #2 before, February 4th. UConn is in Bloomington for a non-conference game in the middle of the Big Ten schedule.

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Dec 12, 2005 -> 03:09 PM)
That'd be interesting.  I just hope UConn doesn't drop below #2 before, February 4th.  UConn is in Bloomington for a non-conference game in the middle of the Big Ten schedule.

I wouldn't get too cocky. Marcus Williams will be back long before then, which should make UConn very difficult to beat.

QUOTE(ZoomSlowik @ Dec 12, 2005 -> 03:18 PM)
I wouldn't get too cocky. Marcus Williams will be back long before then, which should make UConn very difficult to beat.

Haha, what about what I said was cocky? I just think it'd be fun for IU, being that it could potentially be the second #1 team to come to Bloomington in the span of a season.

AP TOP 25

1 Duke

2 Connecticut

3 Villanova

4 Louisville

5 Memphis

6 Texas

7 Florida

8 Oklahoma

9 Illinois

10 Gonzaga

11 Washington

12 Michigan State

13 Boston College

14 UCLA

15 George Washington

16 Wake Forest

17 Maryland

18 Indiana

19 North Carolina

20 Nevada

21 North Carolina State

22 Iowa

23 Kentucky

24 Arizona

25 Houston

Others Receiving Votes: Michigan 115, Ohio St. 108, Wisconsin 88, Pittsburgh 63,

Bucknell 59, Syracuse 56, West Virginia 47, Clemson 27, Indiana St. 27, Xavier 27,

Ohio 19, Iowa St. 16, Iona 14, Alabama 11, N. Iowa 11, LSU 7, Oklahoma St. 7, Arkansas 5,

Buffalo 4, Vanderbilt 3, Missouri St. 2, Georgia 1, La Salle 1, Montana 1.