Official College Basketball Thread

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Iowa State has the potential to be REALLY GOOD next year. They return everyone with the exception of two seniors who avg less than 5 pts a game, while getting the #2 Minnesota player and the nation's highest scoring player from last year, Lawrence Westbrook with 41 ppg. I'll be a little surprised if ISU doesn't make a tourney run if they aren't among the favorites in the Big 12.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan99 @ Dec 12, 2005 -> 09:48 PM)
Bill Cole has committed to the Illini

4* on Scout (only have their top 50 up)

4* and #85 on Rivals

YAYAYA

Gordon+Cole+Rose in 1 class???

WOW :o

Edited by WHarris1

QUOTE(whitesoxfan99 @ Dec 12, 2005 -> 10:36 PM)
Gordon is good, but I'm not sure he is good enough to add twice  :D

f***in finals studying - screwin' with my head. Lemme try again...

Gordon+Cole+ROSE=:o

Just gotta land Rose now. :headbang

Edited by WHarris1

QUOTE(WHarris1 @ Dec 12, 2005 -> 10:38 PM)
f***in finals studying - screwin' with my head.  Lemme try again...

Gordon+Cole+ROSE=:o

Just gotta land Rose now.  :headbang

But Bruce can't recruit!!! :rolly

I think the Illini are going to get Rose as well, and that is some kind of recruiting class.....the cupboard is filling up in a hurry.

(Btw, that comment wasn't directed at you WHarris, just a general comment towards the Weber haters).

Edited by whitesoxfan101

http://www.fortwayne.com/mld/newssentinel/...ts/13397268.htm

Rotating days over for Big 10 tourney

Chicago or Indy will be stable site starting in ’08.

By Pete DiPrimio

Memo to cities wanting to host the Big Ten men’s basketball tournament — if you’re not Chicago or Indianapolis, forget it.

“It’s just those two sites,” Big Ten commissioner Jim Delany said. “I don’t want to give others false hope.”

That means cities such as Detroit and Minneapolis and Columbus, Ohio, won’t get a shot when conference officials meet this spring to decide where the tournament will be held after the current contract expires in 2007.

Chicago and Indianapolis have rotated hosting the four-day tournament for the last five years. Indianapolis will host it this March at Conseco Fieldhouse. Chicago will get it in 2007 at the United Center.

But those rotating days appear to be over because of the desire to improve tourney attendance.

“I think we’ll have one site for a period of time, say, four to eight years,” Delany said.

“We weren’t growing as much as we wanted. Maybe we contributed to that by not having a stable site. We’re hoping for a hard sellout.”

Chicago would seem to have the edge because of the United Center’s 23,509 seating capacity compared with Conseco Fieldhouse’s 18,996, but that’s not etched in stone.

“It depends on what our coaches, athletic directors and presidents think,” Delany said. “We’ll consider the cost and location.

“Chicago is the biggest city that is most friendly to college sports. Indianapolis has a great venue and it’s hosted Final Fours.”

Attendance peaked in 2001, when the tournament drew a record 109,769 in Chicago. That was an average of 21,954 for the five sessions.

Last year’s event, also in Chicago, drew 109,250. That stopped a three-year attendance slide, and much of it was due to the success of Big Ten champ Illinois, which was ranked No. 1 for much of the season and didn’t lose until the final game of the regular season.

Last year was also the first time the Big Ten tourney had led the nation in attendance. It out-drew similar events in the Atlantic Coast Conference and the Southeastern Conference.

“It was a great year,” Delany said, “and a lot of it was tied to Illinois’ success. We want to (lead the nation in conference tourney attendance) every year.”

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Dec 13, 2005 -> 05:28 AM)
Alrighty, Buckeye fans, what can I look forward to this Saturday?

i'm not a buckeye fan but i live out here so i'm pretty familiar with ohio state.

their best guy is terence dials, a 6-9 post player. dials is a beast and is among the best big men in the big ten along with davis, augustine and killingsworth.

complementing dials is some pretty good outside shooting. osu had 10 threes in the second half last night against a dogs*** norfolk state team. the best outside shooting is guard sylvester mayes, although he comes off the bench. mayes is a juco transfer playing his first year. you should also keep an eye on je'kel foster, a very strong outside shooter and a good "glue" player for them.

osu's point guard is jamar butler. he's good and talented and runs the team well. he's also offensively talented but not always asked to do that.

i'm not sure how good osu is this year because they haven't played anybody. their best wins are over virginia tech and st joe's, and an overtime win over butler. the isu game will also be osu's third of the week. they played norfolk last night, belmont wednesday then come back with isu saturday. this is by far their busiest week so far.

also, osu just finished finals, so they won't have that distraction.

Well, tOSU will get to shoot all they want against the 2-3 zone.

The game is on ESPN2 this Saturday. Watch for ISU sophomore Rahshon Clark (the guy on the left in my sig) - he is one of the most exciting players to watch in the nation. Shooting something over 60%, over 40% from 3pt and was just Big 12 player of the week.

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Dec 13, 2005 -> 04:10 PM)
From this casual observer. There appears to be far more people in attendence when it's held in Chicago. It looked pretty desolate last time it was in Indy

Yeah, I'd obviously prefer it to be in Indy, but I'll be surprised for it to be there.

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Dec 13, 2005 -> 03:10 PM)
From this casual observer. There appears to be far more people in attendence when it's held in Chicago. It looked pretty desolate last time it was in Indy

Obviously there are a ton of Illinois grads in Chicago, but from what i hear there is a pretty good group of Iowa, Michigan, and Ohio St grads as well...maybe a few more schools but i'm really not too sure.

QUOTE(maggsmaggs @ Dec 13, 2005 -> 04:44 PM)
Bill Cole has been compared to Brian Cook because they are post players who can dribble and shoot threes.  I would be happy if he turned out to be Brian Cook II :)

Yeah, Cole is a very nice commit, don't get me wrong, but Brian Cook was Mr. Basketball in the state of Illinois his Sr. year and was Big Ten Freshman of the Year. Could Cole develop into as good of a player as Cook, absolutely. But to compare them at this point is absurd.