Official College Basketball Thread

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(SleepyWhiteSox @ Dec 13, 2005 -> 10:01 PM)
DePaul 44 - 40 Wake Forest at the half.  :)

Still not getting my hopes up, but minus the turnovers and interior D, they're looking good.

Nice, go DePaul.

There are 3 other games involving top 25 teams.

#3 Nova beat Penn 62-55.

#4 Louisville beat Chicago St. 78-54.

And #21 Nevada is just getting under way against Seattle Pacific.

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Dec 13, 2005 -> 11:04 PM)
Congrats Sleepy.  Wake tried to make it interesting at the end, but DePaul kept their composure and did what they had to do to win the game.  Solid win, and this ends Wake's 21 game winning streak at home.

Thank you. Now I can break out the old logo without shame. :D

Not the most well-played game, especially with the turnovers (Chandler is a freshman but has great potential), but I absolutely luuuve the poise and confidence from Sammy and Draelon.

Great win that we needed. I hope it's a sign of things to come. I've been very down on Wainwright, but his defense and substitutions finally did what they were supposed to do.

So Monmouth (NJ) scored 41 in their game tonight. Sucks doesn't it?? Yeah....except their opponent (Princeton) scored 21....in the whole game.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/boxscore?gameId=253480163

Princeton shot a mind boggling 22 percent (9-41) from the field and split their only 2 foul shots, while shooting 10 percent (2-20) from 3. 2 great quotes.

"Obviously, we just couldn't score," Princeton coach Joe Scott said. "The zone gave us tons of problems."

and

Princeton went scoreless for a 14:54 stretch in the second half after going 7:14 without a point in the first half.

Unreal.

The NCAA has reconsidered its season-long suspension of Randolph Morris, and has reduced the suspension to 14 games. The reconsideration was based upon consideration of new evidence, including a fax sent by Randolph Morris to Coach Tubby Smith on May 9 which further indicated his intent to return to college. Kentucky compliance director, Sandy Bell, has indicated Kentucky will not appeal this decision to the Reinstatement Committee. Morris will be eligible January 10, 2005.

A fax sent by SFX seemed to doom Randolph Morris, indicating his desire to stay in the NBA draft. A fax sent by Randolph Morris may have saved a portion of his season.

The NCAA released a statement which provided, in part, that the fax sent by Randolph Morris to Coach Tubby Smith on May 9 indicated his "clear intent" to retain his college eligibility. They also stated that the new information, which had not been included in Kentucky's original request for reinstatement, provided evidence of Morris' mindset during that time, as well as explained his failure to utilize University of Kentucky resources in the process.

UK Associate Athletics Director for Compliance, Sandy Bell, released a statement that indicated UK would accept the decision and provide no further appeals:

“The University of Kentucky is very appreciative of the NCAA Student-Athlete Reinstatement Staff's willingness to reconsider Randolph's case based on additional information. We are also pleased with the timely manner in which the reconsideration was made. The University of Kentucky considers this decision to be fair based upon the facts of the case. Therefore, we will not be appealing this decision to the Student-Athlete Reinstatement Subcommittee.”

Randolph Morris' suspension has been reduced to 50% of the season (14 games), which should make him eligible for the game against Vanderbilt in early January.

And you thought we as Sox fans had it bad...

During the recent DePaul win over Wake Forest, Majerus mentioned at the end of the broadcast that it was a shame that neither the cubune nor the moronotti times had sent anyone to cover the big upset.

This pissed the hell outta a lot of us DePaul fans so a bunch of us sent e-mails and letters to the trib, sun times, and the guy in charge of DePaul sports marketing about it.

Here's the type of response that we got, which served to further infuriate us and cement our sentiment that the tribune is garbage:

We blew it, we should have had a reporter with DePaul. We're short-handed at the end

of the year, people using up vacation time, travel budget shot on the White Sox ...

those sound like excuses, not reasons, and you don't need to hear them.

But please bear in mind that DePaul is one of 8 (eight) Division I schools within

our circulation area, and we have to parcel out coverage accordingly. Also, a (now)

5-3 team that loses at home to Bradley and Bucknell and last won an NCAA tournament

game ... when? ... is deserving of how much more than the other seven teams we

endeavor to cover?

Dan McGrath

Chicago Tribune sports

The dickhead then send this to us, but the damage was done:

I apologize to any DePaul fans I may have offended by being flip or sarcastic in response to complaints about the Tribune not staffing DePaul’s victory over Wake Forest Tuesday night. Having grown up in Chicago, I have always had great respect for DePaul and its basketball program. Along with doubleheaders at the Stadium, those Ray Meyer-Al McGuire matchups in the late ‘60s and ‘70s, especially the ones at Alumni Hall, represent the golden age of college basketball in my mind.

I tried to offer a reasonable explanation of a decision that turned out to be the wrong one, and I guess I got a little irritated as the complaints kept coming, particularly because they seemed to have been initiated by comments my friend Rick Majerus made on the telecast. But that’s no excuse for unprofessional behavior, and I apologize for my lapse in judgment.

Happy holidays.

Dan McGrath

Chicago Tribune sports

The Sun-Times then did a follow-up story the next day, which was nice, but damn it sure does still feel like too little, too late.

www.suntimes.com/output/campus/cst-spt-demon15.html

No respect, I tell ya...we don't get no respect. :(

QUOTE(aboz56 @ Dec 17, 2005 -> 08:26 PM)
This is what Louisville gets for playing nobody.

Neither they or Kentucky should be ranked.

Oh well, maybe this helps MSU move up a few spots this week.

alex, have you always been an MSU fan or did you grow up a UK or U of L fan and morph to MSU later with the emergence of Coach Izzo?

QUOTE(Rex Hudler @ Dec 17, 2005 -> 06:26 PM)
alex, have you always been an MSU fan or did you grow up a UK or U of L fan and morph to MSU later with the emergence of Coach Izzo?

I have never been a fan of either (U of L or UK).

I really was just a college basketball fan in general up until about 1998 when I started to take a liking to Izzo. Met him shortly after and got to talk to him a few times (once for about 30 mins or so). What's not to like about Izzo? The guy is so intelligent and sharp its amazing. His passion when he talks about the game is something I admire.

Back in the early 90's, I remember attending my first final four (1991) cheering for Duke to win because I loved Hill and Hurley so much. In 1997 when I went again, I remember pulling for Arizona to take down UK because by then I despised UK so much.

Then in 2000, I was there to watch the Spartans cut down the nets which was awesome.

Never was an IU supporter either under Knight but now under Davis I have started to cheer for my alma mater. In fact I cheer for the Hoosiers except when they play Mich St. I'd rank them as my team 1A for me.