Official College Basketball Thread

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Rex Kickass @ Dec 20, 2005 -> 06:26 PM)
I like Izzo and Crew's chances this year. But I think its the Big Ten that will be the power basketball division this year between MSU, Illinois, Indiana and a strong Michigan....

don't forget ohio state and iowa. those teams will be a factor in the league race this year.

this is a very deep league. outside of nw, purdue and penn state the other eight teams are all decent to excellent.

Rick Majerus is an absolute ass-wad.

Waiting for this evening's Braggin Rights game, I had to sit through this gem...

In reference to UConn's Rudy Gay:

"I'm not a big Gay guy."

He felt he was still too raw of a player and instead of saying he wasn't as high on him as the rest of the nation, or, he feels he needs to refine his game, he came at us with, I'm not a big Gay guy."

How Lavin didn't crack up is beyond me.

You might not be a big, Gay guy, but you're surely a big, fat guy. If this is Majerus' attempt at physical and mental fitness, I think he needs to "refine his game."

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ Dec 21, 2005 -> 05:12 PM)
Rick Majerus is an absolute ass-wad.

Waiting for this evening's Braggin Rights game, I had to sit through this gem...

In reference to UConn's Rudy Gay:

"I'm not a big Gay guy."

He felt he was still too raw of a player and instead of saying he wasn't as high on him as the rest of the nation, or, he feels he needs to refine his game, he came at us with, I'm not a big Gay guy."

How Lavin didn't crack up is beyond me.

You might not be a big, Gay guy, but you're surely a big, fat guy.  If this is Majerus' attempt at physical and mental fitness, I think he needs to "refine his game."

Majerus is awesome. Great person, great coach, pretty damn good analyst.

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Dec 21, 2005 -> 07:18 PM)
Waiiiiiting is the hardest part.

The Iowa State - USF game doesn't start til around 11:30 tonight.

If USF stands for University San Francisco you guys should win. For god sakes Fullerton beat them up real bad in the NIT this past year.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Dec 21, 2005 -> 09:26 PM)
Majerus is awesome.  Great person, great coach, pretty damn good analyst.

Ok, let's just clear up this confusion I'm having.

You're referring to Rick Majerus? Former Utah and almost-former USC coach Rick Majerus?

Damn good analyst?

He epitomizes ESPN's and other national sporting-news organizations failed attempts to have ex-athletes and ex-coaches analyze sports for a living. What will it take for them to stop force-feeding us the Rick Majerus' and Bill Maas' of the world?

It's really sad and makes some of these broadcasts nearly impossible to enjoy.

You can have Majerus. You can have Maas. You can have Steve Phillips.

Successful basketball coach? Yes. Successful midwesterner(Milwaukee)? Yup. Great guy, great all-around guy? Sure, I've hear similar things.

Keep him the f away from a microphone. He might know quite a bit about the game of basketball, but, when you can't articulate yourself out of a paper-bag, you do not deserve to be "enlightening" the American sports drones on national broadcasts.

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ Dec 21, 2005 -> 07:42 PM)
Ok, let's just clear up this confusion I'm having.

You're referring to Rick Majerus?  Former Utah and almost-former USC coach Rick Majerus?

Damn good analyst? 

He epitomizes ESPN's and other national sporting-news organizations failed attempts to have ex-athletes and ex-coaches analyze sports for a living.  What will it take for them to stop force-feeding us the Rick Majerus' and Bill Maas' of the world?

It's really sad and makes some of these broadcasts nearly impossible to enjoy.

You can have Majerus.  You can have Maas.  You can have Steve Phillips.

Successful basketball coach? Yes.  Successful midwesterner(Milwaukee)? Yup.  Great guy, great all-around guy?  Sure, I've hear similar things.

Keep him the f away from a microphone.  He might know quite a bit about the game of basketball, but, when you can't articulate yourself out of a paper-bag, you do not deserve to be "enlightening" the American sports drones on national broadcasts.

Him and Lavin are great. They almost always do Hawkeyes games and both of them do a great job diagnosing the X's and O's and point out things 99% of analysts wouldn't have a clue about. Now Majerus isn't the best with words, but he has something almost all analysts don't have and thats basketball intelligence.

I'll take him and Lavin doing a game over Dickie V. any day of the week.

Of course I think Lavin is the best in the biz when it comes to college basketball announcing.

I only watched the 2nd half of the UNC game, but Bobby Frasor put it one of the worst displays of basketball I have ever seen from an individual in a while. That was pathetic. I didn't see him make one field goal and he had many turnovers on bad passes and poor dribbling decisions. Not to mention my personal favorite when the Heels are down 9 looking for a 3 in all likelihood and he drives from well behind the 3 point line only to have a USC big waiting for him. He got swatted as soon as he went for the layup.

Now that I have that out of the way I was surprised that USC was able to put a decent game together. I saw them earlier in the year when Oral Roberts of all people destroyed them in the Great Alaska Shootout. That loss had USC at 0-2 and I was thinking they were going to be a brutal team. They haven't loss since, though UNC is the only team of their 8 wins that is even respectable.