Official College Basketball Thread

QUOTE(SnB @ Dec 28, 2005 -> 08:57 PM)
I definitely didn't expect to be undefeated at this point.  The biggest reason for the illini being this good is because of jamar smith's ridiculous play for a freshmen.  His shooting has saved us in several of these early games.

Another win against another made up school tonight.

It's been the defense, not Jamar Smith. He hasn't been THAT big of a difference.

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I had the seeds off...

This site has them 5th, about as off as having ISU fifth as well.

http://www.collegehoopsnet.com/ncaatournam...racketology.htm

They also have Bucknell as a 4, and if these guys aren't lying, they've been accurate.

I love mid-majors as much as the next guy, but Bucknell and Northern Iowa aren't 4-6 seeds.

That, and I think McDermott's a prick.

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Dec 29, 2005 -> 06:00 AM)
Well, I had the seeds off...

This site has them 5th, about as off as having ISU fifth as well.

http://www.collegehoopsnet.com/ncaatournam...racketology.htm

They also have Bucknell as a 4, and if these guys aren't lying, they've been accurate.

I love mid-majors as much as the next guy, but Bucknell and Northern Iowa aren't 4-6 seeds.

That, and I think McDermott's a prick.

I'd say teams like Bucknell or Northern Iowa would be six seeds at the highest. UNI isn't going to go through the MVC unscathed enough to be a higher seed than that.

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2005 @ Dec 29, 2005 -> 02:46 AM)
Anybody surprised at how good the Illini are?  I didn't think they would completely fall off,  and I know the real challenge will come when conference play starts,  but they've gone above and beyond what I expected from them to this point.

very surprised. admittedly the schedule has not been as challenging as in past seasons, but regardless of who they are playing the illini get out and defend the f*** out of you every night. i love the consistency of the defense, and it will be this team's identity.

tough start to the big ten, though, considering you have msu at home, at iowa, michigan at home and at indiana. those games will give us a more accurate gauge i think as to where illinois stacks up nationally.

QUOTE(IlliniKrush @ Dec 28, 2005 -> 01:06 AM)
Washington can do everything.

Except make free throws at the end of a game when a trip to the NCAA Tourney is on the line.

This was perhaps my favorite moment of the whole season last year, especially after he acted like it was a sure thing he was going to make all 3 after he hit the first.

freethrownd.jpg

usa1510.0.jpg

6443301_803adc5499_o.jpg

QUOTE(ZoomSlowik @ Dec 28, 2005 -> 12:01 PM)
What's scary is that they are a young team that will probably get better as the season goes on. They start 3 freshmen and 2 sophmores. Rodney Carney is a very gifted player and he comes off the bench. They make some ugly decisions that result in some poor shot selection and turnovers, but they make up for it with great depth and athleticism. They'll be an interesting team to watch this year.

I have them pegged for a second round exit when they face a fundamental team who capitalizes off of their mistakes.

They will also have few challenges in the conference and I think they could get complacent if they blow every team they face out, which is a good possibility in Conference USA.

QUOTE(aboz56 @ Dec 29, 2005 -> 11:55 PM)
I have them pegged for a second round exit when they face a fundamental team who capitalizes off of their mistakes.

They will also have few challenges in the conference and I think they could get complacent if they blow every team they face out, which is a good possibility in Conference USA.

I think the Memphis-UAB matchup will shape up to be an exciting game. I may have to check that one out in person.

QUOTE(aboz56 @ Dec 29, 2005 -> 05:55 PM)

There is no way Memphis doesn't make it to the 2nd weekend of the tourney with that talent. None.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Dec 29, 2005 -> 10:17 PM)
There is no way Memphis doesn't make it to the 2nd weekend of the tourney with that talent.  None.

They fit the bill of a bunch of talented boneheads who will tense up when the pressure is applied.

When was the last time Memphis did anything in the tourney anyhow?

QUOTE(aboz56 @ Dec 29, 2005 -> 11:22 PM)
They fit the bill of a bunch of talented boneheads who will tense up when the pressure is applied.

When was the last time Memphis did anything in the tourney anyhow?

What does the past have to do with now? Calipari has put together an awesome team, and to be honest the only reason I think your slamming them is the fact your afraid of them.

QUOTE(IlliniKrush @ Dec 28, 2005 -> 11:40 PM)
It's been the defense, not Jamar Smith. He hasn't been THAT big of a difference.

you're right, the defense has been amazing.

Augie has really stepped up his game on defense this season and Randle is just a machine on defense.

But I think jamar has had a bigger influence than some think. There's been a few games already this season where we were looking sloppy and no one could hit a basket. Then jamar came in and just started lighting up the place.

Note: I refuse to call him "the microwave", god, what an awful nickname given to him.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Dec 30, 2005 -> 02:15 PM)
Iowa will defeat the Illini in Iowa city pretty soon.  Your undefeated season will come to an end :)

Sure, I said the same thing last year and we got damn close, damn close.

I think people have stopped listening to you when it comes to college sports predictions. :P

Iowa will defeat the Illini in Iowa city pretty soon.  Your undefeated season will come to an end :)

i believe you came damn close to beating us here in champaign, not iowa city :P

Problem is it's not that big of a homecourt advantage when 1/4 of the crowd is wearing orange.