Official College Basketball Thread

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(SnB @ Jan 7, 2006 -> 01:06 PM)
the defense was there today, but when no one steps up and does anything on offense your going to lose.

This is the same thing we saw on thursday, except no one stepped up on offense.

Hard loss to take especially because I know this isn't just a fluke thing, this could happen a few more times this season.

Your beatable, just like every team in the Big 10 is this year. Its a deep conference basketball wise, but aside from Michigan State and potentially Indiana, I don't see any team capable of making that big time tourney run.

The Illini are strong defensively, but they aren't the team they once were. The defense is what is going to make them one of the 2 best in the big 10, but someone other than Dee is going to step it up cause he's going to have off-nights (Freeman, Henderson and Horner did an outstanding job on him).

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jan 7, 2006 -> 03:30 PM)
Your beatable, just like every team in the Big 10 is this year.  Its a deep conference basketball wise, but aside from Michigan State and potentially Indiana, I don't see any team capable of making that big time tourney run. 

The Illini are strong defensively, but they aren't the team they once were.  The defense is what is going to make them one of the 2 best in the big 10, but someone other than Dee is going to step it up cause he's going to have off-nights (Freeman, Henderson and Horner did an outstanding job on him).

How can you rule out OSU??

QUOTE(THEWOOD @ Jan 7, 2006 -> 01:34 PM)
How can you rule out OSU??

Well they have the schedule to win the big 10. Ie playing the worse schools in the big 10 twice. However I don't see them being able to go deep in the tourney but they can very well prove me wrong.

I'm far from an expert. But I'd put them in a similar boat as the rest of the Big 10 teams. Ie strong but not strong enough.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jan 7, 2006 -> 03:38 PM)
Well they have the schedule to win the big 10.  Ie playing the worse schools in the big 10 twice.  However I don't see them being able to go deep in the tourney but they can very well prove me wrong.

I'm far from an expert.  But I'd put them in a similar boat as the rest of the Big 10 teams.  Ie strong but not strong enough.

I do agree their schedule is easy..they only play the illini once and i could be wrong but i think that game is at home. Today is by far the biggest test for the buckeyes. IF they can go into bloomington and pull out a win it will do wonders for their confidence. GO BUCKS!

This is a bit closer to the real Illini team you will see all year. If Dee's off, like he was today, we'll have trouble scoring. Of course, we can't just rely on him for points, but he has to shoot better than 1-10 from 3 point range, at least that's what i think it was. The problem with this offense is that we don't do s*** for the first 20 seconds...often time the ball remains above the key the entire time. Then we realize we have to take a shot, and we only look to Dee to create something or shoot. It's gotten real old, real fast.

Today's performance was the MSU game minus Dee going off. The defense will keep us in almost every ball game this year, but unless Augie and Randle/McBride step up on the offensive end, we aren't going to win the big ten title this year.

This team is still a pretty good team. We all know they aren't as good as last year's team. But I think many of our mistakes are fixable, and the motion offense usually gets better over time.

Jason make an Iowa sig and put it in for me and i'll leave it there for 2 weeks. Illinois lost, i'll man up and do it.

IU just won on an off the ball foul with 5.7 to go. What a joke, that team is trash. Chuck up some more 3s and lose to Indiana St. again you clowns. This IU team is going to have some horrid losses this year the way they refuse to run an offense.

Wow, we're lucky to come away with that one. That was a wild game and very reminiscant of the MSU game at home last year.

I know no one likes to hang their hat on moral victories, but that tOSU team is ridiculous. They were just lights out all day.

That's just huge for Indiana to finally win a game in crunch time though. They showed some heart to come back from a deficit of 17.

Lots of crazy games today, 6 ranked teams have gone down.

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Jan 7, 2006 -> 06:02 PM)
Wow, we're lucky to come away with that one.  That was a wild game and very reminiscant of the MSU game at home last year. 

I know no one likes to hang their hat on moral victories, but that tOSU team is ridiculous.  They were just lights out all day. 

That's just huge for Indiana to finally win a game in crunch time though.  They showed some heart to come back from a deficit of 17. 

Lots of crazy games today, 6 ranked teams have gone down.

PLEASE tell me how you call a jump ball when another player clearly has possesion of the ball up against his chest. Also I would like to know where the foul on Dials was? The dude that set the pick fell down and tripped Dials....is that a foul??? Those two calls totally killed the buckeyes...great comeback by Indiana to make it a game.

QUOTE(THEWOOD @ Jan 7, 2006 -> 08:52 PM)
PLEASE tell me how you call a jump ball when another player clearly has possesion of the ball up against his chest.  Also I would like to know where the foul on Dials was?  The dude that set the pick fell down and tripped Dials....is that a foul???  Those two calls totally killed the buckeyes...great comeback by Indiana to make it a game.

I'll give you the jump ball, because we had one hurt us in this game too. That's one thing Dick Vitale says that I'll agree with. They should change up the jump ball call.

However, the play with Dials was going to happen to any big man in that situation. IU was trying to go down low because of Dials' foul situation. We were trying to get Marco open on the play, and Strick was trying to get Dials to come out a bit. However, Dials went right into Strick and got called for it.

QUOTE(danman31 @ Jan 7, 2006 -> 06:19 PM)
IU just won on an off the ball foul with 5.7 to go. What a joke, that team is trash. Chuck up some more 3s and lose to Indiana St. again you clowns. This IU team is going to have some horrid losses this year the way they refuse to run an offense.

You root for Northwestern, right?

Just making sure.

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Jan 7, 2006 -> 09:50 PM)
Big game on Wednesday, Boz. 

I'm nervous for it; it'll definitely be the toughest game in which we've had to wear our red jerseys.

Hell MSU could be 0-2 in the Big 10 going into that game unless they step it up tomorrow.

QUOTE(Jimbo's Drinker @ Jan 8, 2006 -> 02:07 AM)
Illinois has 2 weapons and one of them is always in foul trouble in big games.  If Dee is not perfect, the Illini lose.

so, through 15 games dee was perfect. whatever you say.

anyhow, horrid game by illinois. i really liked the way they started off by going inside to pruitt, but then he got in foul trouble and that was that. no offensive consistency or flow all game, and the defense was not what it's been. not horrible, but considering iowa has been a bad offensive team at times, not good, either.

but, as i've said earlier this wasn't a team that was going to be unbeaten anyway. losses are the best teaching tool so it will be interesting to see how weber uses this and how the team responds this week.