Official College Basketball Thread

QUOTE(THEWOOD @ Jan 19, 2006 -> 04:44 AM)
Big win for the buckeyes today, they have easy sailing on out till the big show down with Illinois in March.  No reason they should not win every game up to that one.

Hope you aren't putting any money on that to happen..........

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(SnB @ Jan 19, 2006 -> 02:59 AM)
pffft, we were there.

I will never forget seeing that floor rush in person.

yup, i was there as well. if anything ever sucked, that did.

then try going to work the next monday in an office full of buckeye fans. not good.

QUOTE(THEWOOD @ Jan 19, 2006 -> 04:44 AM)
Big win for the buckeyes today, they have easy sailing on out till the big show down with Illinois in March.  No reason they should not win every game up to that one.

illinois and osu play feb. 12.

i don't think i'd chalk up road wins at iowa and michigan just yet.

QUOTE(thedoctor @ Jan 19, 2006 -> 07:30 AM)
yup, i was there as well. if anything ever sucked, that did.

then try going to work the next monday in an office full of buckeye fans. not good.

Greatest day ever, I repeat. There were 2 crying Illinois fans living below me at the time. It was a great win. Probably the most exciting game of that year.

Big win for the Bucks last night, but there is a tough road ahead. The teams in the big ten have ALOT of challenges to overcome down the road, even a good team could lose bunches of games down the stretch. It should be an exciting race. Its really any teams conference.

QUOTE(ChWRoCk2 @ Jan 18, 2006 -> 09:33 PM)
Um no, Pitt has to be the most inconsistent team, everyone ranks them high but they are usually one and done in the final four, i fail to see the good in them

I will tell you who DOES looks impressive, FLA. That team can play.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jan 19, 2006 -> 03:09 PM)
Greatest day ever, I repeat.  There were 2 crying Illinois fans living below me at the time.  It was a great win.  Probably the most exciting game of that year.

Big win for the Bucks last night, but there is a tough road ahead.  The teams in the big ten have ALOT of challenges to overcome down the road, even a good team could lose bunches of games down the stretch.  It should be an exciting race.  Its really any teams conference.

don't get me wrong, a great game. unbelieveable game. it just sucked.

i have to give credit to osu fans, though. most were pretty classy as i drowned my sorrows and got totally faced at the varsity club.

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Jan 18, 2006 -> 08:59 PM)
They shot a decent percentage from the line, they just missed them at the most inopportune times.

3-pointers are another question.  1-for-20 ain't gonna cut it. And what is Brunner doing taking as many 3's as Haluska?

The thing I don't get is that career wise both Haluska and Horner are very good 3 point shooters. Hell at some points last season Horner was absolutely dynamite from beyond the arch. This season I've seen very few games where he flashes his shot of old. They need that shot too, because it would take the pressure off Brunner and Haluska.

Thankfully Hansen had a HUGE game. Funny thing with Brunner is, whenver I get to watch the games he sinks a couple 3's when he's open but when I don't watch I look at the box score and he never makes anything.

He had a monster rebounding effort. I can't slam Brunner too much, the guy is like an old man (at least he looks like one) and he just competes and guts it caus the man doesn't have much talent (yet he makes by far the most out of it).

The free throws really frustrated me though. Iowa is a better shooting free throw team than they used to be, but these are guys that are decent free throw shooters missing clutch free throw after clutch free throw. That said the defense seems to be getting more consistent and thats a big thing cause Iowa can play pretty good defense and it allows them to win when they shoot 1/20 from the 3 point line.

I expect a really good performance on Saturday. Don't know if it will be enough, but one thing I've learned is Alford always has his guys prepared for the big games and this will be a big one. Now if only he could keep them motivated for the smaller games.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jan 19, 2006 -> 11:11 AM)
The thing I don't get is that career wise both Haluska and Horner are very good 3 point shooters. Hell at some points last season Horner was absolutely dynamite from beyond the arch.  This season I've seen very few games where he flashes his shot of old.  They need that shot too, because it would take the pressure off Brunner and Haluska. 

Thankfully Hansen had a HUGE game.  Funny thing with Brunner is, whenver I get to watch the games he sinks a couple 3's when he's open but when I don't watch I look at the box score and he never makes anything. 

He had a monster rebounding effort.  I can't slam Brunner too much, the guy is like an old man (at least he looks like one) and he just competes and guts it caus the man doesn't have much talent (yet he makes by far the most out of it). 

The free throws really frustrated me though.  Iowa is a better shooting free throw team than they used to be, but these are guys that are decent free throw shooters missing clutch free throw after clutch free throw.  That said the defense seems to be getting more consistent and thats a big thing cause Iowa can play pretty good defense and it allows them to win when they shoot 1/20 from the 3 point line. 

I expect a really good performance on Saturday.  Don't know if it will be enough, but one thing I've learned is Alford always has his guys prepared for the big games and this will be a big one.  Now if only he could keep them motivated for the smaller games.

I watched Brunner in HS. The general consensus around NE Iowa was that he kind of seemed like a waste of a schollie. No idea how he got as good as he is. He works hard, that's for damn sure.

I'm going to guess Horner's knee and the contraptions that are on it are not helping his shot.

I also think the Hawks have a nice future in Tony Freeman, but I've been hearing their basketball recruiting has been lacking.....ISU on the other hand....:D

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Jan 19, 2006 -> 09:26 AM)
I watched Brunner in HS. The general consensus around NE Iowa was that he kind of seemed like a waste of a schollie. No idea how he got as good as he is. He works hard, that's for damn sure.

I'm going to guess Horner's knee and the contraptions that are on it are not helping his shot.

I also think the Hawks have a nice future in Tony Freeman, but I've been hearing their basketball recruiting has been lacking.....ISU on the other hand....:D

Freeman was the lone good recruit. Guy is really talented though. Super quick and can play pretty good defefnse as a freshman. Needs to develop more of an offensive game, but I like him and he gets pretty good minutes.

Alex Thompson is a guy I've been expecting some things from. Alford always talks him up and he'll ocassional make some real nice moves, only to blow open shots.

Don't know how the recruiting is this year, but I expect the Hawks to totally blow next year so they need to do something good this year.

I never really watched for Thompson until this year, but he reminded me of you....slow white guy. :D

I'm looking forward to next year. Only lose one senior of any consequence (John Neal, 3 pt shooter and Hawkeye-slayer extaordinaire) and gain a 4 star in Lawrence Westbrook, who averaged 41 ppg in high school, Cory Johnson , who just broke Rick Rickert's scoring record, and P'Allen Stinnett, the guy with an apostrophe in his first name.

LOL, seriously though, they might be playing the big boys next years, as they go to Columbus (ugh....Greg Oden) and are a possibility for the Preseason NIT.

QUOTE(IlliniKrush @ Jan 19, 2006 -> 01:25 PM)
Until they play somebody, i can't tell how good they really are.

They haven't played many teams, but I'd still call them a major threat once March rolls around. They have a very balanced team. Brewer and Horford are both future lottery picks that are playing pretty well. Taureen Green is playing very well at the point. He's distributing the ball fairly well without racking up a ton of turnovers, and his outside shooting has been deadly. Joakim Noah gives them another big body that makes life difficult for the other team. He's been solid on defense. Humphrey doesn't do much other than shoot, but he does that fairly well. They don't have a lot of guard depth, but Richards gives them another fairly productive post guy off the bench.

It's hard to say what they'd do against the top teams, but I'd expect them to do well against virtually anyone but the top few teams. They've got a lot of different weapons on offense, and they seem to do pretty well on defense. The one thing that could hurt them is that they don't seem to be an elite rebounding team.

Good game by OSU, although they let Wisconsin stay in the game far to long. Wisconsin just did not have its shot the first half and missed its last 8-9 to give them any chance of tieing or trying to come back.

Hard to win away games, but last nights game was just wierd. Seemed like no energy from both teams, and the home crowd was kind of silent.

Anyways I expected them to lose, but hoped they could find a way to win.

And as predicted OSU played some press defense.

QUOTE(ZoomSlowik @ Jan 19, 2006 -> 12:46 PM)
They haven't played many teams, but I'd still call them a major threat once March rolls around. They have a very balanced team. Brewer and Horford are both future lottery picks that are playing pretty well. Taureen Green is playing very well at the point. He's distributing the ball fairly well without racking up a ton of turnovers, and his outside shooting has been deadly. Joakim Noah gives them another big body that makes life difficult for the other team. He's been solid on defense. Humphrey doesn't do much other than shoot, but he does that fairly well. They don't have a lot of guard depth, but Richards gives them another fairly productive post guy off the bench.

It's hard to say what they'd do against the top teams, but I'd expect them to do well against virtually anyone but the top few teams. They've got a lot of different weapons on offense, and they seem to do pretty well on defense. The one thing that could hurt them is that they don't seem to be an elite rebounding team.

I agree with what you said from things i've read and highlights i've seen. I'm not even trying to say i think florida sucks or anything. I just like to watch teams play in tough games and evaluate them. I can't really tell how good they are because they haven't played anyone. I've also seen them play like one half of basketball this year. So i'm not gonna comment on a team i haven't seen.

SI listed their annual Magic Eight list, with who they think are the 8 teams in basketball that could win it all. I was shocked, but they put Indiana on the list. I don't see that happening sans DJ.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/writ...wahl/index.html

CONNECTICUT

You sure can feel the Huskies' engine revving up, can't you? We knew it would take some time for Marcus Williams to shake off the rust, but his double-double in Monday's statement-making win at Syracuse was a thing of beauty. There are so many weapons on this team, but the Huskies' defense may be their most impressive attribute. If Hilton Armstrong can continue being a Shelden Williams-quality eraser in the lane, UConn's Final Four chances look awfully good.

DUKE

Let's say it right now: We don't think the Blue Devils will go undefeated. But if they make a run at it, Sean Dockery's half-court buzzer heave to beat Virginia Tech will gain something close to mythic stature (if it hasn't already). Until we see evidence to the contrary, the 2005-06 season will come down to two teams: Duke and UConn. (Which reminds us, let's get that rumored annual Huskies-Devils game on the schedule, OK, guys?)

FLORIDA

I went to Gainesville last week expecting to find some fatal flaws in the No. 2 Gators. I left thinking Florida wasn't quite on the same level as Duke or UConn, but Billy Donovan's boys aren't far from it. The chemistry on this team is remarkable, and while there may be some question marks -- Can the guards be pushed around? Is there a legitimate go-to inside scorer? -- this winning-by-committee thing is working out pretty well.

INDIANA

The one-year Marco Killingsworth gamble is paying off for Mike Davis, and while losing D.J. White will hurt, you can tell from this list that we don't think one injury should sink a season (See also: LSU and Villanova). When a team shoots the ball this consistently, you have to take notice.

LSU

Yes, we know the Tigers aren't ranked. Yes, we know injured point guard Tack Minor isn't expected to return this season. Yes, their late-game collapses are maddening. And yet LSU can play with anybody. Garrett Temple is filling in fine at the point, Glen Davis has the best footwork of any big man we've seen and freshman forward Tyrus Thomas is a revelation. Look out for these guys.

MICHIGAN STATE

We hesitated a long time before going with the Spartans, mainly because their defense is so uncharacteristically suspect. And yet we sense that those problems are getting worked out (with an assist from footballer/Flint-stone Matt Trannon, who won't let guys play soft). Maurice Ager, Paul Davis and Shannon Brown know what it takes to win in March, and we still think MSU makes it to Indy.

VILLANOVA

The Wildcats are going through something of a down spell right now, but their top-shelf perimeter game is built for tournament success. To paraphrase our pal Seth Davis, we're not ready to sell this stock.

WEST VIRGINIA

The Mountaineers have already proven their toughness in road wins at Villanova and Oklahoma (in Oklahoma City). Mike Gansey is turning into a Jeff Hornacek clone, and Kevin Pittsnogle is, well, Kevin Pittsnogle. Plus, their 1-3-1 zone and quirky offense are extremely hard to prepare for.

That is a somewhat funky list of teams that can win it all. I won't argue with UConn, Duke, Villanova, Florida, or MSU.

LSU is a really wierd pick. Apparently they've never heard of a thing called guard play. Mitchell/Thomas/Davis is one of the top 5 frontcourts in the country, but they won't survive with Mitchell being their only legit guard. I find it amazing that only one guy on their team has hit more than 10 3 pointers. They simply can't make it through the tournament hoping they can pound the ball against everyone.

While I think Indiana is a fairly good team, I don't see them winning it all. They need another legit scorer besides Killingsworth, Vaden, and Strickland for that to happen, especially since the latter two seem to disappear at times. Wilmont just doesn't do it for me. Maybe if White comes back anywhere near 100% I'd give them a shot, but I don't have much faith in their current roster.

I REALLY don't buy West Virginia as a legit title contender. They've only beat two teams with any kind of tourney hopes, and one of them is an Oklahoma team that is in disarray. How much credit are we going to give them for one good game against Villanova. Don't get me wrong, Pittsnoggle and Gansey are tough, but the rest of the team isn't exactly overwhelming. Maybe they can have another Elite 8 run, but unless they run into a really easy bracket there's no way they make the Final Four. Eventually they'll have a game where they can't hit from outside, or someone absolutely pounds them inside and on the glass. They have virtually no post presence at all.

If I were to pick another 3 teams with national title hopes, I'd add the following:

1) Texas- They have probably the best front court in the country, and Gibson and Paulino have started playing better. Their defense has gotten stronger since the start of the year, as shown by their wins over Memphis and Villanova. The one major concern is depth. If any of their starters get hurt they could be in for a rough time.

2) Memphis- They have a lot of the same problems that West Virginia has, but they are deeper, have a gifted PG in Washington, and have a much more diverse set of scorers. Inexperience is a major concern because of silly turnovers and poor shot selection, but they are extremely athletic and they might get some help from their press.

3) I don't really have a strong 8th team, but if I had to pick one it would be Maryland. I know they aren't exactly dominating and their lineup doesn't seem to gel right now, but they have a lot of positives going for them. They've got pretty good guard play from McCray and Strawberry. Both are solid defenders and can do a lot of things for their team. They also have good depth. James Gist and Mike Jones would be stars on a lot of teams, and both of them typically come off the bench. They've also got some decent big players in Ebekwe, Garrison, and Caner-Medley. They do have some issues though. As I said, their lineup doesn't seem to blend together that well at this point in the year, despite all the talent. I think they might actually be better off if Caner-Medley got hurt. He seems to be the problem when they lose, and it would give Gist and Jones more chances to get out there. They also aren't the greatest rebounding team despite their size. They'll do alright against a lot of teams though because they are so big. They're just might be in trouble if they face a team with stronger rebounders like UConn, Texas, LSU, or Duke.

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Jan 19, 2006 -> 04:31 PM)
You're not offending me.  I said it already.  :P

I know, just saying it anyways. :P By the way, I'm throwing a 9th team in there in Memphis. They're a team that I could see losing 2nd round or winning it all.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Jan 19, 2006 -> 05:33 PM)
I know, just saying it anyways. :P  By the way, I'm throwing a 9th team in there in Memphis.  They're a team that I could see losing 2nd round or winning it all.

I was going to hate you either way. You keep kicking out White Sox players with your special powers. :crying

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Jan 19, 2006 -> 05:30 PM)
Take out LSU(next year is when they'll make their run imo) and Indiana(sorry greasy, just dont see it without white) and add Pitt and Texas and I'll agree with those teams.

I still don't buy Pitt just yet, they have a really weak schedule. We'll see how they do in their two games against West Virginia, at UConn, and against Syracuse. Those are the only tough games they play tough. Sadly, they only play UConn once and wouldn't play Villanova until the Big East tourney. I'm amazed that they can get a schedule that weak in the Big East. Their other remaining games are Marquette and Providence twice, at St. Johns, at Georgetown, Cincy at home, and Seton Hall at home. They really won't have been tested a whole lot going into the tourney, and I think they might be like last years' Boston College team.

QUOTE(ZoomSlowik @ Jan 19, 2006 -> 04:40 PM)
I still don't buy Pitt just yet, they have a really weak schedule. We'll see how they do in their two games against West Virginia, at UConn, and against Syracuse. Those are the only tough games they play tough. Sadly, they only play UConn once and wouldn't play Villanova until the Big East tourney. I'm amazed  that they can get a schedule that weak in the Big East. Their other remaining games are Marquette and Providence twice, at St. Johns, at Georgetown, Cincy at home, and Seton Hall at home. They really won't have been tested a whole lot going into the tourney, and I think they might be like last years' Boston College team.

BC didn't have Karl Krauser, though I understand what you're getting at. Pitt has impressed me from watching them play, not that they're undefeated. I had my doubts about them too, but as weird as it sounds the game against Depaul sold me on them, though they didn't play their best.

Edited by Rowand44