Official College Basketball Thread

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Jimbo's Drinker @ Jan 26, 2006 -> 01:38 AM)
Hopefully not, but i fully imagine Stinson to score his usual 30+ against the Jayhawks.  Robinson, Chalmers and Rush are really clicking together.  I drool at the thought of Sherron Colllins with them next year.  The only positive is there is not Count Dracula..err Jackson Vroman this year.

ISU figured out how to play defense last nite, which is a nice sign.

QUOTE(IlliniKrush @ Jan 25, 2006 -> 10:17 PM)
Security kept me from running on the floor tonight after the huge home win...

Steve, good job on the wave in the 2nd half you dbag

Did the Krush rush the floor at all last year? I don't remember them doing it but it was awhile ago.

QUOTE(LauraJ14 @ Jan 26, 2006 -> 08:55 AM)
Did the Krush rush the floor at all last year?  I don't remember them doing it but it was awhile ago.

it didn't happen against wake forest....security was too tight.......i think.

I wasn't on the floor for that game, so I'm not positive on that one though.

QUOTE(SnB @ Jan 26, 2006 -> 09:48 AM)
it didn't happen against wake forest....security was too tight.......i think.

I wasn't on the floor for that game, so I'm not positive on that one though.

The last floor rush was UNC in 02, the ACC/Big Ten challenge.

There was no rush vs Wake last year. That would have been pointless. We weren't shocked we won...rushing the floor would have shown that we were ecstatic for the 'upset' of wake. I was on the floor, no one rushed. When a camera guy came into the corner, a decent group of people ended up on the very corner of the floor, just chanting "we're #1" and stuff, but there was certainly no floor rush.

About time that they finally made it official.

Hardy to Sit Out 2005-2006 Basketball Season

Hardy was the runner-up Mr. Basketball in 2004, and that was his first year of HS football too. He was easily one of the best players on the field for IU last year in football.

This says Hardy's going to just prepare for football, and make a decision about basketball in the future. AKA he's done w/ basketball. I don't blame him though. He didn't look like the James Hardy from high school last year on the basketball team. He's got a real chance to go pro in football.

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Jan 27, 2006 -> 07:24 PM)
About time that they finally made it official.

Hardy to Sit Out 2005-2006 Basketball Season

Hardy was the runner-up Mr. Basketball in 2004, and that was his first year of HS football too.  He was easily one of the best players on the field for IU last year in football. 

This says Hardy's going to just prepare for football, and make a decision about basketball in the future.  AKA he's done w/ basketball.  I don't blame him though.  He didn't look like the James Hardy from high school last year on the basketball team.  He's got a real chance to go pro in football.

hardy's a stud. he's got a very bright future. i still can't believe they took that catch away from him against osu.

Anyone going to try and catch the Kansas-ISU game at 11 central tomorrow? Hilton's expected to be sold out, and we thoroughly enjoy beating Kansas.

I remember on ESPNEWS after they won in Lawerence, this amazing stat had been put up.....

ISU's last 6 games in Lawerence: 3-3

Other 10 Big 12 teams in the same period of time: 0-40.

I just hope the Clones defend home court, because Hilton will be rocking.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Jan 27, 2006 -> 03:31 PM)
I'll be watching Heads, it will be one of the VERY few Big 12 games this year that might not be a total suckfest.  I'll also be watching the Red River Shootout tomorrow night, another one which could be good.

I'll be in the fifth row, upper right corner of the screen as you watch, in the ISU student section. I'll try and make a scene. :D

Exhibit #41899083432 why the NCAA is a joke:

http://www.kentucky.com/mld/kentucky/sport...ll/13723546.htm

Off-court, Rondo drives in styleUSE OF DEREK ANDERSON'S VEHICLE APPROVED BY NCAABy Valarie Honeycutt Spears And Jerry TiptonHERALD-LEADER STAFF WRITERSNot to worry. The SEC and the NCAA say that Rondo's new ride is on the up and up.

Rajon Rondo, Kentucky's leading scorer, drives a 2006 Yukon Denali (typically sold for about $50,000) registered in state records to former UK starter Derek Anderson, who now plays for the NBA's Houston Rockets.

It's an arrangement that's been approved by the Southeastern Conference and NCAA officials because Anderson started mentoring Rondo when the younger player was in the seventh grade, before he was considered a prospect for UK, officials said yesterday.

"Based on the information we got from Kentucky, it doesn't appear to be a violation," said Gil Grimes, SEC assistant commissioner for legislative service.

Grimes said Kentucky officials notified him about the close ties between Rondo and Anderson when Rondo was still in high school.

"Kentucky called us before he ever came to Kentucky. And Kentucky asked, 'Is this OK? Should it stop?'

"We went to the NCAA and asked, 'Does this meet the four-part test?' "Grimes said.

Typically, NCAA rules require that "a representative of an institution's athletic interests" may not provide a student-athlete with a vehicle or use of a vehicle.

But the NCAA receives so many questions about extra benefits that it instituted what Grimes called the "four-part extra benefit test."

The test helps decide whether extra benefits to a student athlete are proper.

NCAA Associate Director for Public and Media Relations Kent Barrett wouldn't talk about the Anderson-Rondo arrangement specifically.

But Barrett pointed to bylaws that would allow Rondo to drive the vehicle, including the fact that the relationship predated Rondo's status as a prospective student-athlete.

The SEC's Grimes said that the NCAA "looked at the four-part test, and they were comfortable it wasn't a violation."

Anderson couldn't immediately be reached for comment.

Sandy Bell, UK Athletics' compliance officer, said in an interview in her office yesterday that she called Grimes for direction around October 2005 after Rondo asked her whether he could use a vehicle purchased by Anderson.

Rondo and Anderson, who played for UK from 1995-97, are both from Louisville, and Rondo has long been a friend of Anderson's teenage son, who is also named Derek Anderson.

The Courier-Journal of Louisville reported in December 2003 that the younger Anderson was a sophomore guard on the junior varsity team at Virginia's Oak Hill Academy at the same time that Rondo played on the private school's elite touring squad.

According to Bell, Anderson insisted that Rondo keep up with his studies, even to the point of making sure Rondo had finished schoolwork before allowing him to come over to the Andersons' home and play video games with his son.

When Rondo was a senior in high school, Bell said, he called her to ask if it was all right if he drove a vehicle owned by Anderson to the prom.

"He's a very conscientious young man," Bell said.

Bell then obtained the necessary permission from the SEC and NCAA.

Bell said that Anderson had become "a kind of father figure" to Rondo.

"It's such a positive thing," she said.

Rondo has driven the Denali, which was licensed in Jefferson County on Nov. 2, to at least two home games at Rupp Arena since November.

He has parked it at Wildcat Lodge, the players' dorm, for much of the week.

Bell said Rondo drives the vehicle often, but not exclusively, as he travels back and forth from Lexington to Louisville. She said the Yukon Denali is only on loan from Anderson.

"It's still Derek's car," she said.

University of Kentucky athletes are required to register their vehicles with Bell, and she says she is vigilant in making sure that no vehicle violates NCAA or SEC rules. She says it's not unusual for people around town to take note of the vehicles players are driving and contact her.

"Our players know that their lives are very public," she said.

Bell said that in terms of cars driven by players, there's is no other situation on the basketball team similar to the Anderson-Rondo relationship. However, she said, "there are other relationships that we say are blessed for all the right reasons."

In a 2002 Courier-Journal article, Rondo discussed his ties to Anderson.

"I've become good friends with Derek Anderson, and I can talk to him when I need to. I just have to keep my head on straight. I've seen what he has, and I want to get there. It's the life, and just seeing it really makes me want to get there."

The stuff schools like tOSU, Michigan, Kentucky, Kansas, UNC, etc get away with is obnoxious.

at the half:

Penn State 32

at Michigan State 27

Maurice Ager is 3-14, 2-10 on 3's. He's taken 10 of the teams 16 3 attempts, and 4 of their 16 2 attempts. As good as Ager and Brown are, they could be so much better if they didn't fall so in love with the long ball sometimes. Paul Davis is apparently out with a head injury suffered in practice last night.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE(whitesoxfan99 @ Jan 28, 2006 -> 01:21 PM)
I thought Kansas looked better than they have this year but does Iowa St. have a coach?  It looks like they are playing street ball out there.

Well running with a team coached by Bill Self is a very good idea on paper, but you have to actually play defense and take care of the ball, or your in trouble.

Wisconsin Michigan game is pretty bizarre.

Wisconsin shot terribly but Michigan just kept shooting 3s so Wisconsin has been able to hang around.

Terrible officiating is what will decide this game, as the refs keep making horrible calls but they are benefitting Wisconsin in the long run.