Official College Basketball Thread

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Jan 30, 2006 -> 05:29 PM)
Nothing will happen until the conclusion of the season.  If this team doesn't go at least Sweet 16, he'll be gone.

they'll get there.

davis is wayne fontes.

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Jan 30, 2006 -> 11:35 AM)
That's the way it should be done.  I agree with the sentiment of Indiana right now, if this team can't get at least that far with this lineup, Davis shouldn't be here.

I just think that IU has been continuously losing games that they shouldn't be losing (not just this year). That's usually a good indication that the coach is doing something, if not multiple things, wrong.

USA TODAY/ESPN Top 25 Poll

1. Connecticut (20)

2. Duke (10)

3. Memphis (1)

4. Villanova

5. Gonzaga

6. Illinois

7. Florida

8. Texas

9. Pittsburgh

10. George Washington

11. West Virginia

12. Michigan State

13. UCLA

14. Boston College

15. Washington

16. Tennessee

17. North Carolina State

18. Oklahoma

19. Ohio State

20. Michigan

21. Indiana

22. Georgetown

23. Maryland

24. Northern Iowa

25. Colorado

Dropped out: No. 21 Wisconsin, No. 23 Louisville, No. 24 Syracuse, No. 25 North Carolina.

Others receiving votes: Wisconsin (15-5) 51; Iowa (16-5) 43; LSU (14-5) 35; North Carolina (12-5) 24;

Bucknell (16-3) 18; UAB (15-4) 17; Southern Illinois (16-5) 9; Kansas (13-6) 7; Louisville (14-6) 6;

Syracuse (15-6) 6; Miami (Fla.) (12-8) 5; Xavier (13-4) 5; Kentucky (14-6) 4; Nevada (15-5) 4;

New Mexico (12-8) 4; Seton Hall (12-6) 4; Creighton (14-5) 3; San Diego State (14-6) 3; Air Force (17-3) 1;

Iona (15-3) 1; Wisconsin-Milwaukee (15-4) 1.

Another big week for Iowa. It starts of on Wednesday (i think its on ESPN 2, so I hope it doesn't get dropped for some other game cause I'd like to watch it). Its in Purdue and while Purdue is definately one of the wores teams in the Big 10, Iowa seems to play down when they play a not so great team.

Plus its a road game and I'm sure Purdue will be busting their ass to pull off the upset. Than on Saturday we got a game against Red hot Michigan at Iowa. Thats the type of road win Michigan would love to have and its the type of home game Iowa must win.

AP Top 25

1 Connecticut

2 Duke

3 Memphis

4 Villanova

5 Gonzaga

6 Illinois

7 Texas

8 Florida

9 Pittsburgh

10 George Washington

11 West Virginia

12 Michigan State

13 Tennessee

14 UCLA

15 Boston College

16 Washington

17 Georgetown

18 North Carolina State

19 Oklahoma

20 Ohio State

21 Michigan

22 Indiana

23 Iowa

24 LSU

25 N. Iowa

Others Receiving Votes: Maryland 139, Colorado 83, North Carolina 53, Wisconsin 45, Bucknell 34,

UAB 25, S. Illinois 18, Air Force 10, Kentucky 9, Louisville 9, Utah St. 8, Marquette 6, Kansas 5,

Xavier 5, Seton Hall 4, Akron 3, California 3, Creighton 3, San Diego St. 2, George Mason 1, Iona 1,

Stanford 1.

I guess I'm in the minority. I really like both Gonzaga and George Washington. I had GW at #18 in my preseason picks, and Gonzaga at 5. Gonzaga does play down or up to their competition, but the same can be said about most teams in college basketball, outside of Duke and UConn this year. Gonzaga also has a legit big man patrolling the paint, that also happens to shoot 84% from the line. The team as a whole shot over 80% last time I checked, including Ravio's nation leading 96%. Their ability from the outside can also keep them in games if a star players gets hurt. But Batista on the inside, and Morrison on the outside is as good as it gets in the country.

As for GW, they returned just about everyone from last years tourney team, including 6 seniors and 2 juniors. With Pops inside and JR Pinnock outside, they are a team to be reckoned with. Especially in such a down year.

QUOTE(Palehosefan @ Jan 30, 2006 -> 03:23 PM)
I guess I'm in the minority. I really like both Gonzaga and George Washington. I had GW at #18 in my preseason picks, and Gonzaga at 5. Gonzaga does play down or up to their competition, but the same can be said about most teams in college basketball, outside of Duke and UConn this year. Gonzaga also has a legit big man patrolling the paint, that also happens to shoot 84% from the line. The team as a whole shot over 80% last time I checked, including Ravio's nation leading 96%. Their ability from the outside can also keep them in games if a star players gets hurt. But Batista on the inside, and Morrison on the outside is as good as it gets in the country.

As for GW, they returned just about everyone from last years tourney team, including 6 seniors and 2 juniors. With Pops inside and JR Pinnock outside, they are a team to be reckoned with. Especially in such a down year.

I actually have no problem with GW, I believe they are a solid team. Gonzaga imo is as good as anyone in the country offensively, however they just don't even care on the defensive side of the ball, if they want to go anywhere they have to learn to play both ends. Obviously depending on the brackets, I can easily see a 2nd round exit for the zags.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Jan 30, 2006 -> 02:21 PM)
The fact that Gonzaga is #5 and George Washington is #10 in the land in both polls tells me (1) how down the NCAA is and (2) how dumb the voters are.

Have you looked at who Gonzaga has played? Let's give them some love they play a very tough schedule. The teams they've lost to are Connecticut, who's #1 as of now, at a neutral site, #15 Washington on the road, who had the nation's longest home winning streak at the time I believe, and #3 Memphis on the road as well. The NCAA may be down this year but Gonzaga is a good team regardless, the voters aren't dumb for putting them in 5th.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Jan 30, 2006 -> 09:15 PM)
The new bracketology is up.  Lunardi has Illinois as a 1 as of right now.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/bracketology

reading his rationale, i think he has a point. in the short term at least.

i don't expect it to turn out that way once all is said and done, however. frankly, i'm not sure exactly how good this team is, which sounds strange to say considering they are 19-2.

without a doubt the tough part of the schedule is coming up, though, so we should have a better idea of things in a week or two. the road games at wisky, ohio state, michigan and michigan state could easily be losses. pre-conference i picked them to lose all of those, except for michigan and the wolverines are clearly one of the improving teams in the league right now.

prior to the big ten i predicted a 25-5 record heading into the btt. we'll see.

Let me clarify. Based on the current state of the NCAA, I can see putting Gonzaga at #5 and GW at #10, and they are both nice teams. But ANY other year, neither of these teams sniff the top 10. GW in their one true test this year was BLOWN AWAY by NC State, and Gonzaga, although good, isn't a top 10 team either (they play NO defense).

EDIT: As I look, I give GW some props, as they won a close one at home vs. Maryland and another at Temple, 2 nice wins. But I just can't buy them as a top 10 team, maybe it's just the fact it's freaking GW.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Jan 30, 2006 -> 04:15 PM)
The new bracketology is up.  Lunardi has Illinois as a 1 as of right now.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/bracketology

I really don't buy Illinois as a #2 seed as of now, much less a #1 seed. They've got a few pretty good wins, but nothing that will blow you away, and their performances away from Champaign are less than stellar. They just barely got by a young UNC team on the road, and just eeked out neutral court wins over Xavier and Witchita State. I know that there aren't a lot of stellar teams out there right now, but come on. I fully expect the 4th #1 seed to go to either Texas or the 2nd place Big East team. They seem to be giving Illinois an awful lot of credit for beating the 2nd place A-10 team and the 3rd place MVC team on neutral courts.

I guess I shouldn't gripe too much. It will be tough for the Illini to stay ahead of those guys with a tougher stretch coming up. They still have road trips to Wisconsin, MSU, Michigan, and OSU, plus a home games against the two teams that beat them. If they can split those road games and take the two at home maybe they're 1 see material, but I'm not sure they can do that.

Edited by ZoomSlowik