Jerry Owens

southsideirish71

QUOTE(Reddy @ Nov 8, 2005 -> 02:14 PM)
Jerry Owens - OF - White Sox 

White Sox prospect Jerry Owens went 4-for-6 yesterday to raise his VWL average to .407.

It certainly doesn't get as much attention as the Cristian Guzman signing, but one of Nats GM Jim Bowden's worst moves since taking over was to give Owens to the White Sox in exchange for Alex Escobar. Owens, 24, hit .331/.393/.406 with 38 steals in 58 attempts for Double-A Birmingham last season and is batting .407/.490/.494 in 81 AB in Venezuela. Nov. 8 - 1:38 pm et

i think i'd be ok seeing him up next year.  although i dunno about having him as a benchwarmer - guy like him needs to be playing until a starting spot opens up.

Unless Owens keeps htting .330 for another year, he doesn't have a whole lot of upside other than being a 4th OF, but a good one at that. While I know Tom has said he looks like a Podsednik clone, the odds are always against fast players with little power, but they sure make great options off of the bench.

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Cerbaho-WG @ Nov 8, 2005 -> 03:02 PM)
Unless Owens keeps htting .330 for another year, he doesn't have a whole lot of upside other than being a 4th OF, but a good one at that. While I know Tom has said he looks like a Podsednik clone, the odds are always against fast players with little power, but they sure make great options off of the bench.

You have to be a .330 hitter to be a prospect or to have a chance to be a MLB regular? We'll have to wait and see. Usually, these types of guys are 2B, SS, or CF'ers. I don't think Jerry is going to be a CF'er with Young and Anderson both having the opportunity to win that spot, so there is SOME concern there unless Young REALLy explodes in the next year allowing them to have a lead-off type of guy in LF...

That said, he was way behind on the developmental curve, even when the Sox picked him up from Washington, so expecting anything but continued development from him at this point is premature.

Everyone needs leadoff hitters. EVERYONE. Players like that have a place in this game. Now, if he can hit .300 and have an OBP around .360-.380 and be a threat to steal 40 bases, he'll have a place to play on a team somewhere.

We'll see if he develops into the kind of player that can hit like that consistently, and we'll get a better idea of how his SB% will translate to the MLB level as he gets here. Remember, Pods' SB numbers weren't out of this world as a minor leaguer.

Edited by Randar68

One thing that Owens could have going for him is Chris Young. A CFer (very good defensive one) with legitimate 40 HR power potential would mean you could take less power from a typical position of power (ie, LF). This would especially be the case if you have Crede developing and playing more like the Crede down the stretch as well as if you have Anderson turn into a 30 HR guy (which I don't think will ever happen).

• 2 weeks later...
QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Nov 25, 2005 -> 02:05 PM)
I read somewhere that Owens was somewhat shaky in center field with a mediocre arm.  I would like some more input on his defense in CF as well.

If he plays solid to above average defense in LF, he could platoon w/ Anderson. Pods would then move over to CF. If Owens has good range, he could make up for Pods' average range in CF.

With his great winter, Owens will get a long look in ST. If Owens is very close to the majors, going after Pierre would be less important.

QUOTE(Randar68 @ Oct 26, 2005 -> 08:58 AM)
Aaron Rowand is not going to be the starting CF'er in 2006.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Oct 27, 2005 -> 06:06 PM)
Aaron Rowand = A White Sox and he's not going to be going anywhere, you can take that to the bank.

Randar 1, Jason 0.

QUOTE(Randar68 @ Oct 31, 2005 -> 03:57 PM)
Rowand will not be the centerpiece in any big deal, he's just not that valuable.

Partial credit?

QUOTE(danman31 @ Nov 25, 2005 -> 02:14 PM)
Randar 1, Jason 0.

Partial credit?

I admit, I was wrong. I figured Kenny would go another way, but I kind of thought I was gonna be wrong after a while tis off-season.

As long as I'm right on other prospects, such as Bmac :)

You got to be wrong every once in a while and I'm gonna be pulling like hell and hoping like hell that Randar is right and than some on Brian Anderson.

I like Anderson and I think he's got the ability to be Torri Hunter (upside wise). Ie, not a great hitter, but a good one who has power, will hit for a mediocre to decent average, will play very good defense and can steal some bases.

Hell part of me is flat out excited that I'll get to see two different prospects develop next year (Bmac some more and BAnd).

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Nov 26, 2005 -> 12:43 AM)
Hell part of me is flat out excited that I'll get to see two different prospects develop next year (Bmac some more and BAnd).

I feel the same way.

The status of Orlando Hernandez is unknown as to whether he will be in the starting rotation or not. I would prefer if he would move to the bullpen, but who knows how he’ll take it. Still, he has to pitch through Spring Training. At that time management will observe and tell if he is healthy or not. If he gets hurt then it’s B-Mac’s time to step in.

Just look at the ages of the possible starting rotation once the reg. season starts:

Buehrle(27), Contreras(34), Garland(26), Garcia(29), McCarthy(22)

Real nice if you ask me. Not to mention that we’ll have ‘em for some time. :D

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Nov 25, 2005 -> 10:43 PM)

Also...don't forget that we are running a 25 year old closer out there, and I think he's still eligible for a ROY award next year.

This seems to be the thread for off-topic prospect chatter, so, without further adieu, my question about Texas' Adrian Gonzalez:

Is he blocked by Teixeira, and, if so, would the Rangers be interested in trading the former first-overall draft selection, say, to a team that just lost out in the Konerko sweepstakes?

What kind of game does this kid have? What can we expect with a full season's production?

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Nov 26, 2005 -> 12:43 AM)
I admit, I was wrong.  I figured Kenny would go another way, but I kind of thought I was gonna be wrong after a while tis off-season.

As long as I'm right on other prospects, such as Bmac :)

You got to be wrong every once in a while and I'm gonna be pulling like hell and hoping like hell that Randar is right and than some on Brian Anderson.

I like Anderson and I think he's got the ability to be Torri Hunter (upside wise).  Ie, not a great hitter, but a good one who has power, will hit for a mediocre to decent average, will play very good defense and can steal some bases.

Everyone is wrong in the prospect projection business and on a frequent basis. Borchard made idiots out of a lot of people (myself included). Nobody remembers you adding the caveats that "if he shortens his swing" or "if he sheds the football mentality"... they just remember the talking-up of said prospects.

Rowand was a part of the Thome deal, yes. Centerpiece? Not so sure about that. Seems to me giving up 2 top left-handed starting pitcher prospects is a pretty significant part oft he deal. Rowand is a role player, and those guys aren't centerpieces of deals for 40+ HR hitters. He was a significant part of the deal, though, especially considering clearing his salary in addition to the money Philly sends with Thome.

I still think Brian Anderson is a better prospect than a lot of people (including Jason) realize. Again, JMO. I think he could easily hit .260-.280 in 2006 with around 50 walks. You're not going to be asking a lot of him offensively, and that will definitely help alleviate the pressure.

In USCF, I also think he has 25-35 HR power. Maybe not as a rookie, but he makes solid contact frequently and the ball carries so well to LF in the summer...

Basically, as a rookie, the Sox will be looking for Juan Uribe/Rowand type production and great defense. Anything more than that is gravy, and if it's a little less, no big deal, as he's not going to be asked to be more than an 8 or 9 hitter.

If we're all right on Chris Young, a lot of this will be academic anyway.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Nov 28, 2005 -> 12:32 PM)
I will keep saying it, Owens has a chance to make this team this year.  Every time Ozzie talks about speed and contact it makes me think he is watching Owens VERY closely this winter.

It is possible, definitely. I'm still not comfortable with an OF of Pods in LF and Owens in CF. I think that would be about equivalent to Pierre/Pods in terms of defense.

Also much different proposition to ask Owens to come in and hit 2nd as opposed to asking Anderson to hit at the bottom of the order. Just additional factors to weigh.

Jerry Owens went 2-for-4 with a homer Sunday for La Guaira of the VWL.

It was the first homer for Owens, who had two for Double-A Birmingham last season. Owens, who could compete for a job in the White Sox outfield with Aaron Rowand gone, is batting .386/.453/.479 with 10 steals in 140 AB. Nov. 28 - 2:35 pm et

per Rotoworld.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Nov 29, 2005 -> 12:43 PM)
That OBP should make ANYONE drool.  When PODS makes too much money, we can get good value for him and insert this guy no problem IMO.

Well, that OBP is inflated by the .386 average, no? Even so, if that projected to .300/.370, I don't think anyone would complain.

• 2 weeks later...