Will the sirens sound tonight?

Mercy!

Who even knew we still had air raid/civil defense sirens? I find it a little hard to believe that Daley would give the okay in this post 9/11 era to blast off the sirens when the Sox clinch the AL pennant. Now after a <cough> World Series <cough>, that might be another story.

The Sun-Times and WBBM-TV seem to come to different conclusions about what might happen:

http://cbs2chicago.com/politics/local_story_286183834.html

http://www.suntimes.com/output/news/cst-nws-siren16.html.

:gosox1:

QUOTE(Mercy! @ Oct 16, 2005 -> 05:43 AM)
Who even knew we still had air raid/civil defense sirens?  I find it a little hard to believe that Daley would give the okay in this post 9/11 era to blast off the sirens when the Sox clinch the AL pennant.  Now after a World Series , that might be another story.

The Sun-Times and WBBM-TV seem to come to different conclusions about what might happen:

http://cbs2chicago.com/politics/local_story_286183834.html

http://www.suntimes.com/output/news/cst-nws-siren16.html.

:gosox1:

I doubt they will. I wish they would.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Oct 16, 2005 -> 08:28 AM)
Anyone else remember the sirens being tested every month?

In Rolling Meadows, they test them at 10AM on the first Tuesday of the month.

I think Chicago will need to schedule a test conveniently if/when the Sox score the 4th win of this series ;) :gosox2: .

QUOTE(Mercy! @ Oct 16, 2005 -> 04:43 AM)
Who even knew we still had air raid/civil defense sirens?

*Raises Hand

Believe me, the first Tuesday of every month they like to stop by and pay me a little visit. I can't tell you how many times I've been woken up due to those damn things in the summer with the windows open.

Oh yeah, they're still around.

QUOTE(Mercy! @ Oct 16, 2005 -> 04:43 AM)
I find it a little hard to believe that Daley would give the okay in this post 9/11 era to blast off the sirens when the Sox clinch the AL pennant.

You know what if you think about it back in 1959 people were afraid of nuclear war. Hence "Duck and Cover." So why would it matter if it would happen in 2005 in the post 9/11 era. I understand that the nations mind set has changed. But this is just a thought.

QUOTE(bmags @ Oct 16, 2005 -> 03:14 PM)
this title is gonna jinx us and i hate it.

If this team keeps playing like they have been, jinxes won't matter.

C'mon this is the WHITE SOX not the Cubs. Let them have their jinxes, I'll take winning. . .

did you guys miss mac,jurko, and harry a week or so ago? they were talking about this very thing (sirens) and it was told to them that dailey had asked permission to sound them from Dept of Homeland Security and his request was denied, so no air raid sirens for our sox tonight...

QUOTE(ChiSoxyGirl @ Oct 16, 2005 -> 02:29 PM)
If this team keeps playing like they have been, jinxes won't matter.

C'mon this is the WHITE SOX not the Cubs. Let them have their jinxes, I'll take winning. . .

Exactly, I'm getting tired of people saying it's too soon to celebrate, it's taking away from the fun of the whole thing. We won the division, swept the Bo Sox and are 1 game from the WS. When exactly is it ok to be happy and celebrate??

did you guys miss mac,jurko, and harry a week or so ago? they were talking about this very thing (sirens) and it was told to them that dailey had asked permission to sound them from Dept of Homeland Security and his request was denied, so no air raid sirens for our sox tonight...

Bummer. Lousy Cub fans serving in DoHS no doubt.

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Oct 16, 2005 -> 08:58 PM)
On this issue, f*** Homeland Security.

What are they going to do to Daley? If a Hired-Truck scandal and demoliton of Miggs Field can't phase him, this certaintly won't. HE'S THE TEFLON MAYOR.

haha, thats what i was thinking, what can they do to daley if he does it?

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Oct 16, 2005 -> 03:58 PM)
On this issue, f*** Homeland Security.

What are they going to do to Daley? If a Hired-Truck scandal and demoliton of Miggs Field can't phase him, this certaintly won't. HE'S THE TEFLON MAYOR.

Amen, who does this George Bush fellow and Homeland Security think they are talking to when they answer to Rich Daley. Daley is sounding the sirens, and if somebody in the government does not like it ... well, they are fired. King Richard answers to no one.

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Oct 16, 2005 -> 02:33 PM)
Exactly, I'm getting tired of people saying it's too soon to celebrate, it's taking away from the fun of the whole thing.  We won the division, swept the Bo Sox and are 1 game from the WS.  When exactly is it ok to be happy and celebrate??

Whenever we win the World Series??