Look what the Sox offered for Billy Wagner

maggsmaggs

Billy Wagner- CHW, WAS, BOS, STL and a couple others have/had interest...CHW had offered Damaso Marte, Brandon McCarthy and Joe Crede to PHI for Wagner...BOS had offered Bronson Arroyo, Kevin Youkilis and Kelly Shoppach for Wagner... Wagner believes he will be traded this weekend....CHW have made their final offers for Wagner, A.J. Burnett and Aubrey Huff and they had any one of the three been accepted, they would have taken the first deal because all CHW offers involve the same players...Wagner thinks he and the Phillies will work out an extension...the Phillies reportedly offered Wagner a 2-year, 14M deal with a club option for 2008 worth 8.5M, and Wagner has upped his counteroffer to 3-years, 27M and a no-trade clause

Just think if we did this deal, we might not be in the playoffs with all the great things Crede and McCarthy did for us.

Source: http://mlb4u.com/rumors.html

Edited by maggsmaggs

Kenny is trully blessed. God spoke to Disney in a dream to say no to Garland. He wasn't going to let Kenny ruin a good thing after he saw the team get off to a great start.

Likewise he knew KGJ would get hurt in Sept so he spoke to the Cincy owner to say no as well.

God trully does work in mysterious ways ;)

I think whoever wrote this article basically looked at the rumors that were floating around cause this was one of 'em. I think most of us at the time shook it off as probably not being true.

EDIT: Nevermind, that isn't a new article, that was just the rumor floating around at the time. :bang

Edited by Rowand44

QUOTE(White Sox Josh @ Oct 16, 2005 -> 11:07 AM)
Hell we would've made the playoffs because we would of had no Marte to blow games for us.

Um, no we wouldn't have, because we'd have a bench player starting at 3rd and El Duque or someone else as the fifth starter for the rest of the year depending on who we got.

QUOTE(3E8 @ Oct 16, 2005 -> 03:51 PM)
I don't trust the validity of that.

^^^^

And I also doubt that Boston offered Arroyo, a cheap, league average starter, Youkilis, who will probably be their 3B next year, and Shoppach, who's still somewhat of a decent prospect, for a reliever.

Edited by CWSGuy406

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Oct 16, 2005 -> 06:33 PM)
^^^^

And I also doubt that Boston offered Arroyo, a cheap, league average starter, Youkilis, who will probably be their 3B next year, and Shoppach, who's still somewhat of a decent prospect, for a reliever.

Idonno thats not 2 hard to believe that Boston offered that... Arroyo is just that average and Shoppach is nothing special and Youkilis will already be like 27 next season.... only reason he is a known player is thanks to money ball.

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Oct 16, 2005 -> 06:41 PM)
Idonno thats not 2 hard to believe that Boston offered that... Arroyo is just that average and Shoppach is nothing special and Youkilis will already be like 27 next season.... only reason he is a known player is thanks to money ball.

Uhh, being average isn't bad, especially when you're making the league minimum.

Shoppach is still a decent prospect -- .847 OPS last year at Pawtucket.

And Youkilis will probably start for Boston next year. He had a .451 OBP for Pawtucket last year, and has had an OBP above .400 for most of his minor league career.

Point being, it's hard to see them give up all this for a guy who probably would have pitched 20 or less innings for Boston down the stretch.

But, thanks for your "insight".

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Oct 16, 2005 -> 12:49 PM)
Uhh, being average isn't bad, especially when you're making the league minimum. 

Shoppach is still a decent prospect -- .847 OPS last year at Pawtucket.

And Youkilis will probably start for Boston next year.  He had a .451 OBP for Pawtucket last year, and has had an OBP above .400 for most of his minor league career. 

Point being, it's hard to see them give up all this for a guy who probably would have pitched 20 or less innings for Boston down the stretch. 

But, thanks for your "insight".

You definitely make a good point but remember the Red Sox had one of the worst bullpens in baseball and from what I heard Wagner is one guy they were willing to give up the world for. Meh, pointless argument anyways because we'll never know.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Oct 16, 2005 -> 06:53 PM)
You definitely make a good point but remember the Red Sox had one of the worst bullpens in baseball and from what I heard Wagner is one guy they were willing to give up the world for.  Meh, pointless argument anyways because we'll never know.

Exactly their weakness was no closer and crappy bullpen...... Bring in Wagner and that rookie kid they had.... all of a sudden its a 6 inning game with Timlin there too.

QUOTE(mmmmmbeeer @ Oct 16, 2005 -> 04:43 PM)
If that were indeed the offer, anyone want to explain why Philly wouldn't have taken it?  I call bulls*** on the writer.

Crede is just average, Marte sucks and they have some good young pitches already: Gavin Floyd, Brett Meyers, Robinson Tejada and Vicente Padilla. They really don't need McCarthy and they wanted to resign Wagner anyways.

QUOTE(maggsmaggs @ Oct 16, 2005 -> 05:49 PM)
Crede is just average, Marte sucks and they have some good young pitches already: Gavin Floyd, Brett Meyers, Robinson Tejada and Vicente Padilla.  They really don't need McCarthy and they wanted to resign Wagner anyways.

You can never have too much pitching

QUOTE(mmmmmbeeer @ Oct 16, 2005 -> 04:43 PM)
If that were indeed the offer, anyone want to explain why Philly wouldn't have taken it?  I call bulls*** on the writer.

Exactly. Philly would be idiotic if they turned down that trade. I dont believe it either.