Live Dogs Used As Shark Bait

Mercy!

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Oct 18, 2005 -> 12:18 AM)
Well do you have any pet Cows, pigs, lambs, chickens, or turkeys?  Another thing none of those animals can really be house trained and wont ever be able to be as close to a human as a dog or cat.  I wonder how Dbaho would feel about this dont they eat wild dogs down under.... I guess I wouldnt mind if the Dog was dead but if it was alive while they do it thats just wrong....

Actually you will see on farms, dairys, etc farm animals and humans with a pet-like bond. But most kids growing up on a farm understand that all animals on a farm have a purpose and that purpose may be Sunday dinner. I've said that people shouldn't be allowed to eat meat until they have killed and processed their own food. I think there would be a lot more vegetarians then.

The article and follow up stuff seem to indicate the animals are dead before hitting the water. That would make sense based on shark fishing with fish as bait, it is always cut bait.

I do have a pet rabbit. It has stopped me from eating rabbit.

Again, what I find fascinating is feeding chickens to dogs is ok, but not feeding dead dogs to sharks. I agree though that feeding live dogs to sharks is wrong. That is abusing the animal and we know that dogs feel pain.

And Soxy, they are awesome shoes. Once I got comfortable with my heel being loose, they were a slice of heaven after a long hike. I just never liked driving with them on. My Tevas and the stupid tan lines become my new standard.

Tex:

Pet overpopulation, pet food ingredients, pet euthanasia, culturally taboo food items, and slaughter of food for human consumption – all are interesting topics to be sure. But what the heck do they have to do with the topic of this thread: The use of LIVE animals – I purposefully avoided using the loaded word, “puppies,” although they are mentioned most often – as shark bait. In searching the Reunion newspaper, I found mention of this practice more than once and going back to 1999. The fact that the practice might not be widespread does not detract from its barbarity. Kill the animal before using it as bait, please.

QUOTE(Mercy! @ Oct 18, 2005 -> 07:55 AM)
Tex:

Pet overpopulation, pet food ingredients, pet euthanasia, culturally taboo food items, and slaughter of food for human consumption – all are interesting topics to be sure.  But what the heck do they have to do with the topic of this thread:  The use of LIVE animals – I purposefully avoided using the loaded word, “puppies,” although they are mentioned most often – as shark bait.  In searching the Reunion newspaper, I found mention of this practice more than once and going back to 1999.  The fact that the practice might not be widespread does not detract from its barbarity.  Kill the animal before using it as bait, please.

The articles talk more about roadkills and using dead dogs. I agree that live dogs would be cruel. I believe dead dogs, even those processed for the task, shouldn't cause moral outrage. We slaughter every other animal and use it, why not dogs?

Again if it is morally right to kill a cow to feed a dog, shouldn't it also be right to kill a dog to feed a shark? Shouldn't the debate be over the most humane method to kill the dog?

Well killing the dog to feed the shark only feeds another bad stigma, which is finning a shark. I guess thats what the crux of this whole argument is; one group going to such lengths to prevent shark-finning as to make up a false(but compelling) scenario to draw attention to the horrible practice of finning a shark.

So I guess i would have to say, in this instance, that there is probably no way that I, personally, would be able to see a humane way of killing a dog to attract and catch a shark. Mostly because it would lead to the inhumane way of killing the shark.

And it doesnt get much worse than finning. Can you imagine having your arms and legs cut off, and just being dumped into the ocean to drown? Just horrible.

Finning is another deplorable practice. But again, are what we are really debating is how best for humans to kill other species for our use? Should we really be outraged at killing dogs and using them for bait? As far as humanly killing the dog, they could use a a smaller version of the device they use to kill cows. Basically use a spring loaded device to drive a bolt into the cow's skull. Bullets, chemicals, etc. are way to expensive to use.

The following describes the sequence in which cattle and hogs are handled and killed at most USDA-inspected slaughterhouses. First the animals are unloaded from transport vehicles, driven through a series of driveways, and penned. Animals that are suspected of being unhealthy are segregated in "suspect" pens.

When the time comes for slaughter, cattle are driven from holding pens into either a "knocking box" or up to a "conveyor/restrainer" which transports them to the "stun operator." The stun operator or "knocker" shoots each animal in the forehead with an air- or cartridge-activated device that drives a steel bolt into the animal's skull. If the device is properly powered, maintained, and applied, the knocking gun will render the cow unconscious and ultimately kill the animal. After being stunned, the cow collapses, is shackled by a hind leg, hoisted up onto a moving conveyor, and sent to the "sticker" - the worker who cuts the animal's throat. The cow then proceeds along the bleed rail and is subsequently skinned, dismembered, and eviscerated.

Am I turning anyone towards becoming a vegetarian? In a modern facility, an animal is killed every three seconds.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Oct 18, 2005 -> 08:25 AM)
Finning is another deplorable practice. But again, are what we are really debating is how best for humans to kill other species for our use? Should we really be outraged at killing dogs and using them for bait? As far as humanly killing the dog, they could use a a smaller version of the device they use to kill cows. Basically use a spring loaded device to drive a bolt into the cow's skull. Bullets, chemicals, etc. are way to expensive to use.

Am I turning anyone towards becoming a vegetarian? In a modern facility, an animal is killed every three seconds.

If you are talking in general terms, then no, I dont believe that humanely killing an animal for use(whether it be bait, meat, all around products) is a bad thing. It has happened throughout time. All animals need to eat, which involves the death of another plant or creature.

If we are still talking puppies and sharks, then I am very against it on the grounds that it is finning the sharks more than it is a dog as bait. And under no circumstances ever would I support a live animal as bait, that is cruel and unusual punishment.

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Oct 18, 2005 -> 10:09 AM)
If you are talking in general terms, then no, I dont believe that humanely killing an animal for use(whether it be bait, meat, all around products) is a bad thing.  It has happened throughout time.  All animals need to eat, which involves the death of another plant or creature. 

If we are still talking puppies and sharks, then I am very against it on the grounds that it is finning the sharks more than it is a dog as bait.  And under no circumstances ever would I support a live animal as bait, that is cruel and unusual punishment.

So you kill your worms before putting them on the hook?

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Oct 18, 2005 -> 09:09 AM)
If you are talking in general terms, then no, I dont believe that humanely killing an animal for use(whether it be bait, meat, all around products) is a bad thing.  It has happened throughout time.  All animals need to eat, which involves the death of another plant or creature. 

If we are still talking puppies and sharks, then I am very against it on the grounds that it is finning the sharks more than it is a dog as bait.  And under no circumstances ever would I support a live animal as bait, that is cruel and unusual punishment.

So if the shark is humanely processed, not drowned, would the dead dogs be ok as bait?

I agree in most cases live animals for bait is cruel. The one case I can think of is a no longer widely used practice of penning up a rabbit to attract predators. The rabbit is generally safe from the predator. The rabbit is later eaten by the hunters, however, for a brief while, it is bait. Now tapes and recorded calls are substituted.

QUOTE(ChiSoxyGirl @ Oct 18, 2005 -> 09:10 AM)
So you kill your worms before putting them on the hook?

I would like to say that is different, but you are right, it isnt. Of course, a worm is not generally a household family pet unless you are Lloyd Christmas.

Of course, a worm is a part of a fishes natural diet, which couldnt be said for a dog and a shark.

Let me know when a fisherman starts getting letters from PETA about worms though, that would be interesting.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Oct 18, 2005 -> 09:23 AM)
So if the shark is humanely processed, not drowned, would the dead dogs be ok as bait?

This doesnt happen. There isnt much on a shark that is worth processing, from what I have read. Something about the high content of Urea in their blood or something. So a shark is basically killed for about 20 percent of their body. its a waste

QUOTE(Texsox @ Oct 18, 2005 -> 09:23 AM)
I agree in most cases live animals for bait is cruel. The one case I can think of is a no longer widely used practice of penning up a rabbit to attract predators. The rabbit is generally safe from the predator. The rabbit is later eaten by the hunters, however, for a brief while, it is bait. Now tapes and recorded calls are substituted.

I think there is a definite difference in hunting and baiting.

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Oct 18, 2005 -> 10:39 AM)
I would like to say that is different, but you are right, it isnt.  Of course, a worm is not generally a household family pet unless you are Lloyd Christmas. 

Of course, a worm is a part of a fishes natural diet, which couldnt be said for a dog and a shark.

Let me know when a fisherman starts getting letters from PETA about worms though, that would be interesting.

You must have missed when they asked Dreamcast (or whatever Speilburg's production company is) to change their logo of the little boy sitting on the moon fishing because it was an inhumane practice.

QUOTE(ChiSoxyGirl @ Oct 18, 2005 -> 10:44 AM)
You must have missed when they asked Dreamcast (or whatever Speilburg's production company is) to change their logo of the little boy sitting on the moon fishing because it was an inhumane practice.

I did miss that. And i do think that is ridiculous.

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Oct 18, 2005 -> 09:43 AM)
This doesnt happen.  There isnt much on a shark that is worth processing, from what I have read.  Something about the high content of Urea in their blood or something.  So a shark is basically killed for about 20 percent of their body.  its a waste

I think there is a definite difference in hunting and baiting.

I have had shark steak, have seen shark skin boots, wallets, and other items. I believe it depends on the species of shark. You are probably correct, some are harvested for only one use. I've seen preserved baby aligators for sale. I'm not certain if we would call that a high percentage usage or not.

I think it would be a moral slippery slope to try and justify killing an animal based on the percentage of use you will receive from the animal. I doubt the cow cares if it's hooves and tail and used or not when it gets wacked on the head.