How much extra revenue???

Greg Hibbard

You know who we absolutely need to throw some more money at?

Don Cooper. We need to keep the Yankees' grubby mitts off of him. Pay him whatever he wants. He's under contract through 2006, but we can't afford to lose him. He's working wonders with our pitching staff!

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Oct 17, 2005 -> 03:17 PM)
I'd pay that.  I'd sit down and hope to get Konerko signed to a deal similar to Sexson...and go up to $13 if I needed to.

I think Paulie will take a hometown discount as he has said all along. I think KW and Paulie will sit down and agree on a competitive number based on market value, and sign him to a 4 year deal. I dont expect him to get over 13 million.

QUOTE(Balance @ Oct 17, 2005 -> 03:41 PM)
You know who we absolutely need to throw some more money at?

Don Cooper.  We need to keep the Yankees' grubby mitts off of him.  Pay him whatever he wants.  He's under contract through 2006, but we can't afford to lose him.  He's working wonders with our pitching staff!

Coop's not going anywhere. He's franchise.

QUOTE(Steff @ Oct 17, 2005 -> 01:44 PM)
Coop's not going anywhere. He's franchise.

Still...it'd sure be a good idea to get him locked up this offseason so that he doesn't even hav ehte chance of listening to the Yankees next offseason. I mean...where would we be right now if we hadn't re-upped with Ozzie? Half the league might be waiting for this sereis to end so that they could get on the phone.

QUOTE(mr_genius @ Oct 17, 2005 -> 03:48 PM)
Unfotunately the Yankees, Red Sox and Angels all need  a power hitting / excellent fielding first baseman. 

I doubt we will be alble to sign Konerko for under 13 million a year.

This I agree with. I don't think Paul will be here next year and I think it will be because we will not pay him $15 million a year.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Oct 17, 2005 -> 02:49 PM)
Still...it'd sure be a good idea to get him locked up this offseason so that he doesn't even hav ehte chance of listening to the Yankees next offseason.  I mean...where would we be right now if we hadn't re-upped with Ozzie?  Half the league might be waiting for this sereis to end so that they could get on the phone.

Our coaches are all loyal to the organization. They don't need the money. When Ozzie was extended, KW actually offered him more than he was asking for. These coaches are here because they love the White Sox organization that gave them a chance. I think this loyalty trickles to the players and I wouldn't be surprised to see Konerko resign for a bit less than market value ($11-12 million range).

QUOTE(Steff @ Oct 17, 2005 -> 08:50 PM)
This I agree with. I don't think Paul will be here next year and I think it will be because we will not pay him $15 million a year.

I've had a feeling for two months now that PK won't be back. This isn't my typical pessimism talking. When it comes to free agency/business, I'm generally much more unbiased. PK's going to find himself a hot commodity in a month, and I think he's going to get more money than a lot of us think he will. As much as I appreciate how PK has produced, if he does get like 13 or 14 million a year, I have no problem with turning the page and bringing in a different dimension at 1b.