Yanks talking to Mazzone

maggliopipe

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Oct 17, 2005 -> 06:45 PM)
Better him than Coop.

I disagree.

Mazzone's one of the greatest pitching coaches ever, and what he can do with pitchers is amazing. The Yankees get him, along with a $225+ mill payroll...they might not lose a game all year with the pitching staff they should have.

Personally...I don't want either Cooper or Mazzone wearing a different uniform next year.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Oct 18, 2005 -> 01:56 AM)
Atlanta's gotta do what they can to keep him there. Am I right in saying he's more important than Bobby Cox in the whole scheme of things?

Probably

None of these atleast teams win without their pitching staffs in their 14 year run...even the 2003 team with all that offense still probably doesn't win.

The three headed monster of Cox, Mazzone, and Scheurholz is the reason Atlanta continues to do so well. Well, and the players too

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Oct 17, 2005 -> 11:56 PM)
Atlanta's gotta do what they can to keep him there. Am I right in saying he's more important than Bobby Cox in the whole scheme of things?

At least one of the ESPN.com guys says this is probably just something done by the Braves in order to keep Mazzone happy...that way he can have a guess about his public value if he were to become a "free agent" and he can use that to get similar value from the Braves. If they wouldn't let him talk to people now to get an idea of what he could earn, that might encourage him to wait until his contract is totally up, then talk to people, and actually be basically a free agent. If he's talking to the Yankees now, then the Braves can just offer him whatever the Yankees offered hiim while he's still under contract.

NEW YORK -- Joe Torre intends to return as manager of the New York Yankees next season, saying Tuesday that "I still want to manage here."

Torre, who has two years left on his contract, had not spoken about his future since the Yankees lost in the first round of the playoffs to the Los Angeles Angels.

After that defeat, he thought about leaving.

"It was a waffle. It was going back and forth," he said at Yankee Stadium.

Torre, who has led New York to four World Series titles, met Monday in Tampa, Fla., with Yankees owner George Steinbrenner.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2195140

According to Newsday, Mazzone has broken off talks with the Yankees and indicated he will not coach for them next season.

Wonderful news for all of baseball. He's still supposedly considering the Orioles's offer.

And My God...the man is only 57? Good lord, that means that the Braves might have another 14 year run in them if they hold onto him.

Edited by Balta1701

QUOTE(Punch and Judy Garland @ Oct 19, 2005 -> 07:16 PM)
I believe Ken Rosenthal is reporting that the Orioles have or will hire Mazzone. No link as this was from a  message board

Merry X-Mas. Here's Rosenthal's story. The Braves are absolutely f***ing insane if they let him go. They should offer him his own damn island.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Oct 19, 2005 -> 11:12 PM)
Let's just hope the Yanks don't go really hard after Don Cooper, which I'm afraid they will.

He is under contract and he has said he wants nothing to do with the yankees in so many words... he will be our pitching coach for 2006.

QUOTE(qwerty @ Oct 20, 2005 -> 02:14 PM)
He is under contract and he has said he wants nothing to do with the yankees in so many words... he will be our pitching coach for 2006.

Yeah I know he's said that, but let's see what he says when the Yanks offer him a big $$$ deal to be their pitching coach.

I think he'll stay though, since he's been in our organisation for a long time and wants to repay us for giving him an oppurtunity here.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Oct 19, 2005 -> 11:18 PM)
Yeah I know he's said that, but let's see what he says when the Yanks offer him a big $$$ deal to be their pitching coach.

I think he'll stay though, since he's been in our organisation for a long time and wants to repay us for giving him an oppurtunity here.

Do you really think the sox would give the yankees permission to talk to him? I doubt it.

Edited by qwerty

QUOTE(qwerty @ Oct 20, 2005 -> 02:21 PM)
Do you really think the sox would give the yankees permission to talk to him? I doubt it.

They shouldn't, but it may alienate Coop from returning after 2006.

For instance, if I was Atlanta no way would I have let Mazzone speak to Baltimore or New York but he may have told them, if you don't, I'll leave for sure.

QUOTE(SoxFanForever @ Oct 20, 2005 -> 01:13 AM)

Look for the braves to lose the division next year. This is the first time i have ever even said or thought that in my life time. The list of pitchers he made good out of no where ( and then turned back to s*** when they left) is long as f***. He will be a damn good manager but unfortunately he is in the wrong division to do anything worthwhile IMO.

QUOTE(qwerty @ Oct 20, 2005 -> 05:29 PM)
Look for the braves to lose the division next year. This is the first time i have ever even said or thought that in my life time. The list of pitchers he made good out of no where ( and then turned back to s*** when they left) is long as f***. He will be a damn good manager but unfortunately he is in the wrong division to do anything worthwhile IMO.

Yeah forget the impact the likes of Maddux and Glavine leaving has had, Mazzone leaving trumps that altogether.

They could seriously finish last in that division next season if the new pitching coac ain't any good.

At least Baltimore should definitely be over .500 next season, but like you've said, that won't matter with the Yanks and Red Sox there.