NLCS game 5

Balta1701

Before tonight's game, the Astros were 81-1 when leading after 8 innings this season. The only game the Astros lost was the save that Lidge blew against the Cubs in the last series of the season between the two teams.

Who can't run, throw or hit anymore.

Why would Bagwell need to throw if he was DH'ing?

Edited by SSH2005

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Oct 17, 2005 -> 11:45 PM)
Berkman's homer was a 315 foot cheapie.  Pujols smashed his.

Pujols homer would have gone to Mars if it wasn't for the dome. He slaughtered it....murdered it....shattered it.....destroyed it.

Can anyone think of a more dramatic home run to save a team from elimination? Gibson's home run won Game 1, that's all.

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Oct 17, 2005 -> 11:24 PM)
Before tonight's game, the Astros were 81-1 when leading after 8 innings this season.  The only game the Astros lost was the save that Lidge blew against the Cubs in the last series of the season between the two teams.

Why would Bagwell need to throw if he was DH'ing?

I'm just saying he can't do any of those things, if he can't hit or run he's pretty useless as a DH. No way in hell he starts any games if they make the World Series.

Is there anyone really that doesnt like Albert? He has to be the one player I have never, ever heard anything bad about.

Its a real shame the MLB has not made him the face of this game. Im so sick of Vlad and Arod in that f***ing Pepsi commercial. Get Albert some face time.

Agreed. While I don't dislike Vlad, Pujols is all class. A-Rod is a whiner and a cheapass (remember the ball-slap on Bronson Arroyo?).

QUOTE(BlackBetsy @ Oct 17, 2005 -> 11:28 PM)
Pujols homer would have gone to Mars if it wasn't for the dome.  He slaughtered it....murdered it....shattered it.....destroyed it.

Can anyone think of a more dramatic home run to save a team from elimination?  Gibson's home run won Game 1, that's all.

October 12, 1986: One loss away from elimination and trailing 5–2 entering the 9th, the Red Sox stage one of the most improbable comebacks in post-season history winning 7–6 over the Angels in 11 innings. After Don Baylor's 9th-inning home run reduces the deficit to 5–4, reserve outfielder Dave Henderson slugs a 2-out, 2-run home run off Donnie Moore to give Boston a 6–5 lead. California ties the score with a run in the bottom of the 9th but Henderson, who had appeared to be the goat when he dropped Bobby Grich's long fly ball over the fence for a home run in the 7th inning, delivers a sacrifice fly in the 11th for the winning run.

This comes pretty damn close even though California did tie it in the bottom of the 9th.

QUOTE(DonkeyKongerko @ Oct 18, 2005 -> 12:33 AM)
October 12, 1986: One loss away from elimination and trailing 5–2 entering the 9th, the Red Sox stage one of the most improbable comebacks in post-season history winning 7–6 over the Angels in 11 innings. After Don Baylor's 9th-inning home run reduces the deficit to 5–4, reserve outfielder Dave Henderson slugs a 2-out, 2-run home run off Donnie Moore to give Boston a 6–5 lead. California ties the score with a run in the bottom of the 9th but Henderson, who had appeared to be the goat when he dropped Bobby Grich's long fly ball over the fence for a home run in the 7th inning, delivers a sacrifice fly in the 11th for the winning run.

This comes pretty damn close even though California did tie it in the bottom of the 9th.

Yeah, that's a good one. But the Angels did tie that game.

Someone on the Sox e-mail list just said it was a Donnie Moore moment. We all know what happened to Donnie Moore.

The Astro's have been over-using Lidge so much you have to expect him to hang one..... they over-used him in the playoffs last year and doing the same thing this one.

2 innings in game 2

1 inning in game 3

1 inning in game 4

and 1 inning in game 5

Where I come from you dont use a RP in 4 straight games? And in game 2 there was no reason for him to go the 8th they had a 3 run lead and the entire bullpen was open to use.

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Oct 17, 2005 -> 11:23 PM)
The Astro's have been over-using Lidge so much you have to expect him to hang one..... they over-used him in the playoffs last year and doing the same thing this one.

2 innings in game 2

1 inning in game 3

1 inning in game 4

and 1 inning in game 5

Where I come from you dont use a RP in 4 straight games?  And in game 2 there was no reason for him to go the 8th they had a 3 run lead and the entire bullpen was open to use.

I agree with what you're saying but he hasn't looked sharp this whole series. He's been a bit shaky every game he's been in and then whoops....not a smart idea to hang a slider to the best hitter in the game.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Oct 18, 2005 -> 09:58 AM)
Actually I'd say this is why in some cases, it's better to serve up a meatball to a guy and let him see if he can hit it than it is to walk a guy.

You better throw a meatball when the go ahead run on deck is albert pujols.....whoops.

who is annoucing these games??

i could have sworn i heard one guy call Biggio "bagwell" at one point.

and then, after Berkman hit the homer, Ensberg hit the left field wall, and when heading for second, the same guy said something along the line of "Berkman tagged out at second".

unless my ears were hearing the wrong thing, those guys need to do a better job.

Edited by smalls2598

QUOTE(smalls2598 @ Oct 18, 2005 -> 09:10 AM)
and then, after Berkman hit the homer, Ensberg hit the left field wall, and when heading for second, the same guy said something along the line of "Berkman tagged out at second".

You heard right on the 2nd one. On that single/out, Ensberg was called Berkman at least 2-3 times. I believe it was our good friend Thom Brennaman who made that particular mistake.

QUOTE(DonkeyKongerko @ Oct 18, 2005 -> 11:29 AM)
Pretty good Jayson Stark article on the significance of homeruns like this. Pujols is a class-act and only admired his shot as a natural reaction. If Manny Ramirez had hit that homerun, he might still be standing at home plate.

Manny being Manny...he'd be standing there and the winning run would never score.

I absolutely adore the Cardinals but seeing Albert Pujols, one of the games best hitter, at the Cell, is just plain scary! The Astros have no one in their lineup that would be dangerous in the late innings for the exception of Berkman.

Bring on the Astros!

Edited by Yoda