Top 10 Sitcoms of the 90's

juddling

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Oct 20, 2005 -> 05:19 PM)
You know i really liked the show US version of "Men Behaving Badly" in the first season when Rob Schneider, Ron Eldard and Justine Bateman were the stars.  Ron Eldard left the show, and then it just fell off the face of the network. 

But I thought the first season was great.

Rob Schneider....ha.

I really had that guy pegged for success after the SNL run. I was wronggggggggggg.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(GASHWOUND @ Oct 20, 2005 -> 10:03 AM)
I couldn't watch any of those three..3rd rock is one of those shows like Everybody Loves Raymond...Highy rated and touted shows, but I can't find anybody who likes it, or even watched them to be honest..

I love 3rd Rock and Raymond.

Since when did it become cool to hate on Friends? I'll stand up and say it.

Friends was great! It was no Seinfeld, but it was a damned funny show. Sure it had dumb moments, but don't all sitcoms?? Go ahead and fire back at me on this one, but you all can hate all you want, but there are many millions of people each week that disagreed. Crappy shows don't run for 10 years!

Seinfeld is an obvious #1. Cheers ended in 1993 and wasn't at its best in its final years, so maybe it doesn't belong on this list, but it certainly is one of the top sitcoms of all time.

I got into Newsradio while in syndication and never really watched it when the original episodes ran, but it was excellent.

I also liked Just Shoot Me and have grown to like it more now in syndication.

Roseanne had connections to Evansville, IN, so that held my interest for awhile, but it got real stupid toward the end.

Never saw the humor in 3rd Rock. Married w/ Children was half 80's/half 90's. It was ground breaking TV when it first aired.

I never watched Drew Carey the first few years, but fell in love with it later on. I would probably rank it #2 (unless you let me count Cheers).

FIRE AWAY!!!

Good call on Just Shoot Me. I really like Spade, that was a great role for him.

Friends wore thin on me fast. Too much angst and feelings and stuff for my comedic taste. And there wasn't enough meat for a drama.

Raymond I got into during syndication. I was watching every night until they went to Italy, then it kind of jumped the shark for me.

Cheers fell apart after Sam sold the bar. But it was struggling before so it may have played itself out.

Didn't see the humor in 3rd Rock? They were aliens. Those that enjoyed the show always caught the humor in the men's names. Those that didn't get the show, never caught on.

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ Oct 20, 2005 -> 11:10 PM)
beavis.jpg

Addison, I always knew you were the man.

With the Time Life releases, plus the bootlegs that I have acquired in amazing quality, I have every skit that aired on MTV, even a lot of unreleased stuff. s***, some of my favorite animated characters of all time are Todd, Mr. Anderson, Mr. Buzzcut, etc.

Some of my favorite skits:

"Bad Dog"

"Lightning Strikes"

"Leave It To Beavis"

"Huh Huh Humbug"

"It's A Miserable Life"

"No Laughing"

"Manners Suck"

"Prank Call"

This show is easily my favorite (the skits, not necessarily the music video commentary). It just caters to my sense of humor like nothing else can. I tried to check out "Family Guy". I like the baby and the dog, but that's about it.

QUOTE(hammerhead johnson @ Oct 21, 2005 -> 09:20 AM)
Addison, I always knew you were the man.

With the Time Life releases, plus the bootlegs that I have acquired in amazing quality, I have every skit that aired on MTV, even a lot of unreleased stuff.  s***, some of my favorite animated characters of all time are Todd, Mr. Anderson, Mr. Buzzcut, etc. 

Some of my favorite skits:

"Bad Dog"

"Lightning Strikes"

"Leave It To Beavis"

"Huh Huh Humbug"

"It's A Miserable Life"

"No Laughing"

"Manners Suck"

"Prank Call"

This show is easily my favorite (the skits, not necessarily the music video commentary).  It just caters to my sense of humor like nothing else can.  I tried to check out "Family Guy".  I like the baby and the dog, but that's about it.

They are starting to come out on DVD now. :headbang

QUOTE(Mercy! @ Oct 19, 2005 -> 06:54 AM)
I can proudly and honestly state that I never saw a complete episode of Friends.  It only took a few minutes for me to make up my mind that I needn't waste my time there.

Good man. :cheers

For any guy who enjoys this show, I'm sure that they can find a role for you in a future Milwaukee's Best commercial. Terrible beer, but god damn do those commercials kick ass. :headbang

QUOTE(hammerhead johnson @ Oct 21, 2005 -> 11:39 AM)
Good man.  :cheers

For any guy who enjoys this show, I'm sure that they can find a role for you in a future Milwaukee's Best commercial.  Terrible beer, but god damn do those commercials kick ass.  :headbang

Mercy!'s a lady!

QUOTE(Rex Hudler @ Oct 21, 2005 -> 04:51 AM)
Go ahead and fire back at me on this one, but you all can hate all you want, but there are many millions of people each week that disagreed.  Crappy shows don't run for 10 years!

Sure they do. How long was "Saved By The Bell" on the air? How about "Beverly Hills 90210"?

50 Cent goes platinum multiple times, Will Smith movies gross 100+ million in the box office, etc. You can't use the longevity argument. It has more holes than the swiss cheese on your sandwich. :P

QUOTE(Kid Gleason @ Oct 21, 2005 -> 06:17 PM)
Well, he's surely the reanimated man!!!

Boyle.jpg

Dude, that is awesome.

Are you into early "X-Files" episodes, like the first 5 or 6 seasons? There's an episode in season 3 where he plays a half-assed psychic that knows when & how a person will die. He was absolutely superb in that role.

And of course, I'm not surprised that nobody has mentioned "X-Files", but I'm a huge fan of the early stuff. I have forked over $350+ for the first 6 seasons on DVD. That's actually a hell of a deal, as Best Buy has each season selling for up to $100, or more.

QUOTE(hammerhead johnson @ Oct 21, 2005 -> 01:30 PM)
Dude, that is awesome.

Are you into early "X-Files" episodes, like the first 5 or 6 seasons?  There's an episode in season 3 where he plays a half-assed psychic that knows when & how a person will die.  He was absolutely superb in that role.

And of course, I'm not surprised that nobody has mentioned "X-Files", but I'm a huge fan of the early stuff.  I have forked over $350+ for the first 6 seasons on DVD.  That's actually a hell of a deal, as Best Buy has each season selling for up to $100, or more.

I don't think anyone would consider Xfiles a sitcom, all though I did love me some Xfiles...

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Oct 21, 2005 -> 06:37 PM)
I don't think anyone would consider Xfiles a sitcom, all though I did love me some Xfiles...

That's right. When I hear the word sitcom, I usually just think of television shows in general. If that were the case, "Law & Order" would most definitely be way up there on that list. Just a brain cramp as Ken Harrelson would say.

QUOTE(hammerhead johnson @ Oct 21, 2005 -> 09:46 AM)
Sure they do.  How long was "Saved By The Bell" on the air?  How about "Beverly Hills 90210"?

There was only one reason to watch either of those shows...

Tiffani-Amber Thiessen :D

Looking back at my replies in this thread I'm noticing a trend in my reasoning for favorite TV shows. ;)

QUOTE(hammerhead johnson @ Oct 21, 2005 -> 03:46 PM)
Sure they do.  How long was "Saved By The Bell" on the air?  How about "Beverly Hills 90210"?

50 Cent goes platinum multiple times, Will Smith movies gross 100+ million in the box office, etc.  You can't use the longevity argument.  It has more holes than the  swiss cheese on your sandwich.  :P

Sure you can when the show is at or near the top of the ratings for that long. I find it funny that everybody thought it was a crappy show or they act too cool for it, but where are the freakin millions that watched it every week?

This sounds like a bunch of Southern Baptists to me. No one admits drinking, but they drink like fish when no one from church will see them.

QUOTE(Rex Hudler @ Oct 22, 2005 -> 08:04 PM)
Where are the freakin millions that watched it every week? 

This sounds like a bunch of Southern Baptists to me.  No one admits drinking, but they drink like fish when no one from church will see them.

The majority of females between the ages of let's say 20 and 35 in this country probably made it a priority to watch "Friends" every week. Then you have to take into account all of the males who watched that show just to check out Aniston, Cox, Kudrow, the humor, etc. That would make for an insanely huge fanbase. I am surprised that "Seinfeld" edged them out. But then again, "Seinfeld" appeals to all of the baby boomers and what not.