Mariotti article

fathom

QUOTE(fathom @ Oct 18, 2005 -> 08:52 AM)
This is one of the worst pieces of s*** I've ever read.  While I agreed with a lot of what he said when the Sox were struggling, this seems like an article written by someone desperate to piss of White Sox fans.

http://www.suntimes.com/output/mariotti/cst-spt-jay18.html

Jay is wrong as always, let's count the mistakes in his column. This is a Sox town. More Cub fans than Sox fans in Chicago? What an idiot. There have always been more Sox fan, Jay must be smoking something. More Cub fans around the world? He mustn't travel much, the Sox have way more fans than the Cubs in all corners of the world. Again, Jay the idiot. The city is united. We are happy for all those Cub fans rushing to buy Sox stuff, especially tickets. Maggs and Showalter will send Ozzie a Christmas card, Cub fans aren't bitter about the Sox success, Sox fans wanted a rested Clemens and Oswalt, we didn't want the Astros to be extended, we wanted them to win last night. The world wouldn't care if the Cubs were in the World Series, we're the American Fairy Tale, not the Cubs. Ozzie never trashed Wrigley and fanned flames during the crosstown series, every Cub fan will root for the Sox over the Cards, just like we would root for the Cubs over the Twins. Jay, what an idiot.

:lolhitting

QUOTE(Texsox @ Oct 18, 2005 -> 02:12 PM)
Jay is wrong as always, let's count the mistakes in his column. This is a Sox town. More Cub fans than Sox fans in Chicago? What an idiot. There have always been more Sox fan, Jay must be smoking something. More Cub fans around the world? He mustn't travel much, the Sox have way more fans than the Cubs in all corners of the world. Again, Jay the idiot. The city is united. We are happy for all those Cub fans rushing to buy Sox stuff, especially tickets.  Maggs and Showalter will send Ozzie a Christmas card, Cub fans aren't bitter about the Sox success, Sox fans wanted a rested Clemens and Oswalt, we didn't want the Astros to be extended, we wanted them to win last night. The world wouldn't care if the Cubs were in the World Series, we're the American Fairy Tale, not the Cubs. Ozzie never trashed Wrigley and fanned flames during the crosstown series, every Cub fan will root for the Sox over the Cards, just like we would root for the Cubs over the Twins. Jay, what an idiot.

:lolhitting

No, the argument is pathetic because he basically uses the homer by Pujols last night as a way to start comparing the excitement level between the Sox making the World Series, and the Cubs making the NLCS. He also tries to make it sound like many important members of the Sox organization are still worried about the whole Sox/Cubs rivalry. Mariotti should be spending this week talking about the importance of a team making the World Series for the first time in over 4 decades, and not using it to push his agenda of basically being a dick towards the Sox.

Here's the deal. If we win the world series, or hell, even if we don't, how about we have a soxtalk rule that says we don't talk or read this asshole's stuff. Fair enough?

It's not very often I would vote for "censorship" but I certainly vote for it here.

QUOTE(bighurt2719 @ Oct 18, 2005 -> 02:27 PM)
jesus christ, not to be rude, but every f***ing day theres a new thread about mariotti. just learn to let it go man. the reason he still has a job is because people like us are always talking about his s***. cant you just ignore him? i do...

Not to be rude, but I've never started a Mariotti thread in the past. To be honest, I got sick of hearing the same complaints every day by my fellow Sox fans about Berman, Buck, and company (just as I'm sure my fellow Sox fans got sick of me complaining about Ozzie during the year, etc.). However, today is a very quiet day outside of the tickets, so I was just wondering if anyone else thought the article was pure crap.

QUOTE(fathom @ Oct 18, 2005 -> 09:29 AM)
Not to be rude, but I've never started a Mariotti thread in the past.  To be honest, I got sick of hearing the same complaints every day by my fellow Sox fans about Berman, Buck, and company (just as I'm sure my fellow Sox fans got sick of me complaining about Ozzie during the year, etc.).  However, today is a very quiet day outside of the tickets, so I was just wondering if anyone else thought the article was pure crap.

Yes, it was. As is most of his inane drivel. Here we are getting ready to begin the 1st World Series in Chicago since 1959, and this tool has not written a Sox related article in since the playoofs began that hasn't mentioned 1919 and/or the Ligues. This past couple of weeks has proven to me that beyond a shadow of doubt mariotti has a personal dislike for the Sox and everything associated with them. His "compliments" always, and I mean always, include a backhanded slap at something or someone to do with team.

Why is it that a writer like Moronetti can make wild ass comments about the White Sox all year, yet when he's proved wrong, all he has to say is "I was wong" and all is forgotton? Moronetti should be run out of Chicago for being the dumbest, A-hole, negative writer ever. The guy should be treated like a pirraha for what he wrote about the White Sox.

QUOTE(fathom @ Oct 18, 2005 -> 09:17 AM)
No, the argument is pathetic because he basically uses the homer by Pujols last night as a way to start comparing the excitement level between the Sox making the World Series, and the Cubs making the NLCS.  He also tries to make it sound like many important members of the Sox organization are still worried about the whole Sox/Cubs rivalry.  Mariotti should be spending this week talking about the importance of a team making the World Series for the first time in over 4 decades, and not using it to push his agenda of basically being a dick towards the Sox.

No he used the Pujols homerun to show that despite everything going the Sox way, it is still a Cubs town.

Another opponent has been extended, meaning another notch rises on the belief meter.
That's what he said to link the two.

I hadn't thought about it much, hoping rather foolishly that fans of both teams might unite as one during this apocalyptic moment in a Chicago lifetime.

It's wrong to say the entire town is jazzed by the Sox. Cubdom, a large constituency, isn't interested in the least. This bitterness should delight the Sox and their fans to no end because, after all, winning the Series is only half the battle. Ticking off All Things Cubbie is the real goal. They're succeeding.

Post some quotes in his article that hasn't also been discussed here? Cards over Astros? If that's s***ty, then call out most of the posters here.

"It finally puts us above the Cubs,'' said bench coach Harold Baines, usually the quietest guy in the joint. "They've been getting all the credit.''

Ozzie, JR, and KW, have all come out with statements urging Cub fans to back the Sox. Seems like they are doing their best to whoo Cub fans to become Sox fans. Are they being s***ty too?

Did you even read the article?

QUOTE(Texsox @ Oct 18, 2005 -> 04:01 PM)
No he used the Pujols homerun to show that despite everything going the Sox way, it is still a Cubs town.

Yes I read the article, and I still think he's completely reaching to say that since Pujols hit the homer, it still makes it a Cubs town. If anything, the Pujols homer last night should have made the buzz around town diminish because the Sox still don't know who they're playing in the World Series. The next few days should be the calm before the storm. Please don't group me with other Sox homers though that will rip on anything Mariotti says. This article just flat out sucked, and it seems like the type of thing written by someone who has a lot of hate for a team. And like was just mentioned, Mariotti can never just come out and praise the team without somehow throwing in an insult also.

QUOTE(fathom @ Oct 18, 2005 -> 11:08 AM)
Yes I read the article, and I still think he's completely reaching to say that since Pujols hit the homer, it still makes it a Cubs town.  If anything, the Pujols homer last night should have made the buzz around town diminish because the Sox still don't know who they're playing in the World Series.  The next few days should be the calm before the storm.  Please don't group me with other Sox homers though that will rip on anything Mariotti says.  This article just flat out sucked, and it seems like the type of thing written by someone who has a lot of hate for a team.  And like was just mentioned, Mariotti can never just come out and praise the team without somehow throwing in an insult also.

Post some quotes that show what you are talking about. I don't see the Pujols to Cubs town link.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Oct 18, 2005 -> 04:14 PM)
Post some quotes that show what you are talking about. I don't see the Pujols to Cubs town link.

It's exactly what you said in your post prior to this...that his goal was to show that the Pujols homer still showed that this is a Cubs town.

Let me ask you this: What type of dickhead reporter would take a great event like a city team making the World Series, and two days after it happens, write an article saying how that team still means basically nothing to a majority of the people in that city? It looks like we found Debbie Downer's soulmate. I'm going to bet that Hawk would be the best man at the wedding.

Now that the Sox are in the national spotlight, some people who know I'm a Sox fan have been asking, "so what's the deal with the Cubs vs. Sox thing - why the hate?"

Like it or not there's a certain appeal to the rivalry, a city divided in its fan loyalties. It keeps things interesting, IMO, and I don't think it's a bad thing. And I think the Sox cracking the WS is going to have major repercussions, just you wait and see. I have two nephews (9 and 7) who live a couple of miles from Wrigley. Both sadly went to the dark side before I could save their souls. Yet in speaking to them on the phone this week I could hear their excitement for the Sox. I took them to games this summer when I was in town and they loved Fundamentals and so did their parents, who promised to bring them back. In a couple of weeks I'm hopeful that we will be able to add these two to our growing ranks, no matter how hard guys like Moronotti try to convince fans that the Cubs are still somehow preferrable.

QUOTE(fathom @ Oct 18, 2005 -> 08:52 AM)
This is one of the worst pieces of s*** I've ever read.  While I agreed with a lot of what he said when the Sox were struggling, this seems like an article written by someone desperate to piss of White Sox fans.

http://www.suntimes.com/output/mariotti/cst-spt-jay18.html

Let's go back to the beginning. This is one of the worse pieces of s*** you've ever read because he discusses this being a Cub's town?

Have the read this thread where yesterday soxtalkers basically discuss the same thing?

Are you disagreeing that in fact it is a Sox town? Shall I pull up the threads here that talk about zero celebrating on the north side? You don't think it's a story? Should every columnist write about the same thing? Jay is writing about the same things that hard core Sox fans are discussing.

Reaction from the city is always a story. Whether it's over turning cabs on Division Street after a Bulls Championship, or zero celebrating, it's a story.

I think we all look silly when we complain about a columnist writing the same things we're talking about.

And what kind of columnist discusses this two days after clinching? One that has written for years that JR was too cheap to win a Championship. One that suggested Wrigley was too unsafe to host a game. One who thinks the Bears can't draft a qb correctly. One that prefers tackling controversy to ass kissing pr fluff from the front office.

I still don't see what was in the article to piss off Sox fans. Maybe the gratuitous Ligue reference, I am very tired of reading that crap.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Oct 18, 2005 -> 11:09 AM)
Let's go back to the beginning. This is one of the worse pieces of s*** you've ever read because he discusses this being a Cub's town?

Have the read this thread where yesterday soxtalkers basically  discuss the same thing?

Are you disagreeing that in fact it is a Sox town? Shall I pull up the threads here that talk about zero celebrating on the north side? You don't think it's a story? Should every columnist write about the same thing? Jay is writing about the same things that hard core Sox fans are discussing.

Reaction from the city is always a story. Whether it's over turning cabs on Division Street after a Bulls Championship, or zero celebrating, it's a story.

I think we all look silly when we complain about a columnist writing the same things we're talking about.

i dont particularly like Mariotti at all, but these are some good points (and i'm not saying you do).

the article picks up on some interesting things that are going on in town right now. obviously generalizing about Sox fans as neanderthals is too much... but if under the 'humor' he means that Sox fans tend to have the self-victimization thing going on... then it's not far from the truth.

he's a pud. but he's right that most Cub fans...those who really care about baseball.... are either rooting against the Sox... or with them in a not-so-passionate way.

the social-club Cub fans (which make up most of their revenue) are all fully jumping on the bandwagon... since we're the hot thing now. and of course, we're a fresh, new reason to drink.

QUOTE(Princess Dye @ Oct 18, 2005 -> 02:34 PM)
i dont particularly like Mariotti at all, but these are some good points (and i'm not saying you do). 

the article picks up on some interesting things that are going on in town right now.  obviously generalizing about Sox fans as neanderthals is too much... but if under the 'humor' he means that Sox fans tend to have the self-victimization thing going on... then it's not far from the truth.

he's a pud.  but he's right that most Cub fans...those who really care about baseball.... are either rooting against the Sox... or with them in a not-so-passionate way.

the social-club Cub fans (which make up most of their revenue) are all fully jumping on the bandwagon... since we're the hot thing now.  and of course, we're a fresh, new reason to drink.

Excuse me but here is no point to Moronotti articles. We are sox fans as it was once said and is more true today. If you want to get drunk and have fun go to wrigley if you want to watch a good baseball game go to the south side. We are the the few the proud. Moronetti just wants controversy to get us going. Appeal to the 80% who are cub fans.

I am not even going to waste the hit of clicking that link, and no one else should either.  If people really feel that badly about Kotex-boy, all talking about him and going to his articles does is keep him employed.  Quit reading his crap and he gets fired.  Its that easy.

Hey, what do you have against Kotex, anyway? Do you prefer some other brand? :huh

And when the Cubs finally make a WS, the media will be interviewing Sox fans to get their reaction. This is something that makes Chicago baseball unique to the world. Again, people outside Chicago can't imagine Chicagoans rooting against a Chicago team. I probably explained that 50 times during the Cubs crash.

JR, KW, and Oz all mentioned the Cubs during and immediately following the ALCS. While we are the few the proud, the team would like to increase from the few part and keep the proud. One of their battles are all the Sox fans who want to keep this the few and not wind up like the Cubs and have a Sox team 12 games below .500 and drawing 30,000 on a weeknight to see Seattle a la the north side.

Why do you guys care what this idiot, who looks like he's had plastic surgery on his face, says?! He's completely jealous. We are in the World Series...we no longer have to pay mind to idiots like this.

Objectional material removed.

**THIS WAS ONLY A JOKE**

Edited by Y2HH

I do not mind Jay at all. It is nice to see some opposing views, but he gets way too personal and resorts to cheap shots way too much.

However, if we win the Series, which should be our total focus, I could care less if we let Konerko go and resign Dick Allen to play first base.

Winning the Series is the only thing that matters to me. It must be killing Jay that he is wrong.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Oct 19, 2005 -> 07:32 AM)
He was in his usual form today, that's all I'm going to say.  :ph34r:

Let me inform the rest. This was the last line of his s***ty article

Well, enjoy your one and only World Series, Sox fans.

what a jagoff.