cubs offseason

RockRaines

I love seeing the reaction of other teams regarding their "next year" plans. No other team is as classic talking about next year as the Chicago Cubs. I was curious to see what their master plans were in overhauling their team next year to try and make up for the fanbase that they lost with the Sox in the Series. Below are some examples.

SS-Furcal 8mil

CF-Jaque Jones 4.5 mil

1b-Lee 8mill

RF-Giles 9mil

3b-Aramis 10.5mil

2b-Nomar 5mil

LF-Murton .8mil

C-Barret 4.5mil

That comes to 49 mil say i am off a bit,no more than 52mil

Bench

Cedeno .5mil

Blanco 1.2mil

Hairston 1.5

Perez 1.5

Dave Roberts 1mill

Grieve .8mil

6.5 and if im off a bit 8 mil

Starting Pitching

Wood 11mil

Maddux 9mil

ZZZZZ 6 mil

Prior 4mil

AJ Burnnet 8mil

38 mil

RPitching

S.Williamson 2mil

J.williams .5mil

Todd Jones 3.5mil

Novoa .5 mil

B.J. Ryan 3 mil

Demster 5mil

14 mil if im a bit off 15 mil

CF Lofton/Hairston(give old guy rest)

2B Marcus Giles

1B Derrick Lee

RF Brian Giles

3B Aramis Ramirez

SS Nomar Garciaparra/Cedeno(for if nomar goes down/rest)

LF Matt Murton

C Michael Barret

P Carlos Zambrono

P Mark Prior

P Kerry Wood

P Kevin Millwood

P Greg Maddux

CL Ryan Dempster

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Oct 18, 2005 -> 03:10 PM)
I love seeing the reaction of other teams regarding their "next year" plans.  No other team is as classic talking about next year as the Chicago Cubs.  I was curious to see what their master plans were in overhauling their team next year to try and make up for the fanbase that they lost with the Sox in the Series.  Below are some examples.

SS-Furcal 8mil

CF-Jaque Jones 4.5 mil

1b-Lee 8mill

RF-Giles 9mil

3b-Aramis 10.5mil

2b-Nomar 5mil

LF-Murton .8mil

C-Barret 4.5mil

That comes to 49 mil say i am off a bit,no more than 52mil

Bench

Cedeno .5mil

Blanco 1.2mil

Hairston 1.5

Perez 1.5

Dave Roberts 1mill

Grieve .8mil

6.5 and if im off a bit 8 mil

Starting Pitching

Wood 11mil

Maddux 9mil

ZZZZZ 6 mil

Prior 4mil

AJ Burnnet 8mil

38 mil

RPitching

S.Williamson 2mil

J.williams .5mil

Todd Jones 3.5mil

Novoa .5 mil

B.J. Ryan 3 mil

Demster 5mil

14 mil if im a bit off 15 mil

CF Lofton/Hairston(give old guy rest)

2B Marcus Giles

1B Derrick Lee

RF Brian Giles

3B Aramis Ramirez

SS Nomar Garciaparra/Cedeno(for if nomar goes down/rest)

LF Matt Murton

C Michael Barret

P Carlos Zambrono

P Mark Prior

P Kerry Wood

P Kevin Millwood

P Greg Maddux

CL Ryan Dempster

LOL, the odds of the Cubs signing Rafael Furcal to an $8 mill deal are slim to none, because he's looking at probably $10 mill a year atleast...and the odds of them signing Furcal and then having Marcus Giles appear out of nowhere and starting are even slimmer. ;)

And there is no way Burnett settles fo $8 mill. Not when Detroit's probably willing to throw something like 4 years, $44 mill at the very least.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Oct 18, 2005 -> 03:26 PM)
LOL, the odds of the Cubs signing Rafael Furcal to an $8 mill deal are slim to none, because he's looking at probably $10 mill a year atleast...and the odds of them signing Furcal and then having Marcus Giles appear out of nowhere and starting are even slimmer. ;)

And there is no way Burnett settles fo $8 mill.  Not when Detroit's probably willing to throw something like 4 years, $44 mill at the very least.

just the beginning of their genius ideas. I love cubs fans.

I still fail to see how they need A.J. Burnett. What's worse is I think the Cubs' management is actually interested. They really need another injury prone power righty that throws way too many pitches?

I always laugh at Cubs fans because every offseason they think they are going to get at least two of the top free agents. Apparently they've failed to realize that they almost never make a major splash in FA (only major one I can think of is the aging Maddux). They never get the guys like Tejada, Thome, Renteria, or Beltran that people think they'll get. They only major moves they've made have been in trade mid-season for Lee, Ramirez, and Nomar, two of which were highly underpaid. The only reason their payroll is so high is they keep the guys that the fans have grown to know, like Sammy and Wood. When are they going to learn that? They're probably going to wiff on all the big guys, sign one or two middling FA's (maybe get one of Furcal or Giles, since they are very good fits, not a chance on both), and work out an extension for some if not all of the Lee/Prior/Zambrano group. I would not be surprised at all if their starting OF was Murton/Patterson/Burnitz with Cedeno at short and someone like Grudzelanik back at 2B.

Rumors are flying around that Burnett has set his asking price at 13 mil per year. My bet is that he is an Oriole. Angelos is becoming more than desperate, and he has no idea about how to go about finding the right free agent for his club. he thinks he just needs to spend more money.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Oct 18, 2005 -> 02:26 PM)

And there is no way Burnett settles fo $8 mill.  Not when Detroit's probably willing to throw something like 4 years, $44 mill at the very least.

I think they were talking about Brian Giles.

I've seen a few Brian Giles rumors, is he a FA, or is SD looking to trade him?

that first situation would be pretty amazing if the cubs could get that...Although id rather keep Corey Patterson than pay Jaque Jones 4.5 million to be your CF he sucks and isnt an upgrade really and who knows Patterson might finally break out. Id say they lose Nomar Todd Walker can bat 2nd and have Patteron in the 6-8 spot and keep him there the whole season.

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Oct 19, 2005 -> 09:29 AM)
Rumors are flying around that Burnett has set his asking price at 13 mil per year.  My bet is that he is an Oriole.  Angelos is becoming more than desperate, and he has no idea about how to go about finding the right free agent for his club.  he thinks he just needs to spend more money.

Whoever pays Burnett over 8 million a year is going to regret it big time. 13 is ridiculous.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Oct 19, 2005 -> 04:12 PM)
Whoever pays Burnett over 8 million a year is going to regret it big time.  13 is ridiculous.

I completely agree. Supposedly this is the asking price that he himself set. Maybe he will be like Magglio and go until the very last moment before Spring Training starts.

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Oct 19, 2005 -> 07:50 PM)
He is such an overated pitcher... has some nasty stuff but he has no clue how to use it and supposedly is a cancer in the clubhouse too.

He did get sent home near the end of the year. Appearantly the players love him (he's the clubhouse jokester) but him and McKeon never got along.

Excerpts from a Cubbie Message Board World Series Game Thread. Funny stuff.

J.R. wrote:

Bush. League.

That was the most unprofessional start to a World Series ever. Perfectly befitting the most small town of all the big town sports franchises.

Outshined_One wrote:

Hooray Magic Wandy.

indifferent wrote:

What's the old saying if you can't beat em, join em? If Wandy Rodriguez turns into a stud in the postseason, it's in the cards for Houston.

Outshined_One wrote:

FYI, I'm praying that we have a Ronnie Woo Woo appearance at the Cellblock some time during this series. Having him annoying the holy crap out of Sox fans would make my year.

Careless wrote:

bunting with the DH *smile*

Poudre Moose wrote:

boy is that bunt stupid. I wonder how many runs ozzie cost the sox this year.

Fred Hornkohl wrote:

Just in case I might not have mentioned it before this..... I really really hate the white sox.

Poudre Moose wrote:

I would kill to hear a lets go cubbies chant right now . . .

Fred Hornkohl wrote:

LET'S GO CUB-BIES !! [clap][clap] [clap][clap][clap]

minnesotacubsfan wrote:

you guys are making me cry..................

J.R. wrote:

Nancy Faust has got to be the lamest organist in professional sports.

Outshined_One wrote:

Who does the organ work at Wrigley?

Careless wrote:

I despise crede

Banedon wrote:

"Oh please bring in the Sox bullpen. They haven't worked in like a month..."

Poudre Moose wrote:

so is jenks and he's harder to find (for the cubs anyway). Hairston is as good as Podsednik.

minnesotacubsfan wrote:

I've never seen in Hairstons stats 60 steals

I dont know. wish the Cubbies were in the Series.......

RockTheIvy wrote:

we were so close!

Poudre Moose wrote:

or 23 CS. His baserunning hurts the team.

minnesotacubsfan wrote:

and his 60 steals help the team

thats still 37+, which is well above Hairston........

Careless wrote:

The point is that the 23 hurt the team more than the 60 help. The white sox would score more runs if he never tried to steal at all

RockTheIvy wrote:

Crede was is so clutch...so clutch that he managed to "hit" .252/.303/.454... GOD I HATE THE WHITE SOX.

Fred Hornkohl wrote:

I would rather go to the dentist for root canal than see the white sox win. I really really hate the white sox.

J.R. wrote:

"Pods" is nothing special.

Fred Hornkohl wrote:

Remember..... the white sox won game 1 of the series back in '59, and as I remember it, that turned out OK.

:bang

:gosox1: :snr :gosox1:

QUOTE(Art Vandelay @ Oct 23, 2005 -> 03:04 PM)
I have a couple of Cub fan friends (don't ask why) who seem to think they are going to get Johnny Damon.

Yeah. I laughed too.

Why is that funny? They will definitely be one of the teams in the running for him. If they don't sign one of furcal, giles, damon, etc... i will be shocked as hell. They have to bring a big name to get the fans excited again. What they shoould actually be looking for is lot of bullpen help... theirs is rather bleak at this point.

QUOTE(qwerty @ Oct 23, 2005 -> 03:09 PM)
Why is that funny? They will definitely be one of the teams in the running for him. If they don't sign one of furcal, giles, damon, etc... i will be shocked as hell. They have to bring a big name to get the fans excited again. What they shoould actually be looking for is lot of bullpen help... theirs is rather bleak at this point.

I guess you'd have to know these people the way I do to appreciate the humor. Every year they completely fixate on one player they swear the Cubs are going to get (e.g. Carlos Beltran, Scott Rolen), and every year the Cubs don't get that player.

QUOTE(Art Vandelay @ Oct 23, 2005 -> 01:45 PM)
I guess you'd have to know these people the way I do to appreciate the humor. Every year they completely fixate on one player they swear the Cubs are going to get (e.g. Carlos Beltran, Scott Rolen), and every year the Cubs don't get that player.

They fixate on ONE player?! Hell, they usually think they're getting everyone.

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Oct 24, 2005 -> 09:50 PM)
that J.R. guy on that cubs message board I think hates the whitesox more than he likes the cubs.

Yep, and with comments like Nancy Faust being lame really shows how much of a f***head that dips*** is. Is he aware that the Cubs' creepy organist is a student of Nancy's?

Doubt it.

f*** off J.R, you bitter, know nothing, Sox hating, scrub fan.

:fthecubs

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ Oct 24, 2005 -> 10:29 PM)
Yep, and with comments like Nancy Faust being lame really shows how much of a f***head that dips*** is.  Is he aware that the Cubs' creepy organist is a student of Nancy's?

Doubt it.

f*** off J.R, you bitter, know nothing, Sox hating, scrub fan.

:fthecubs

I find it hard to be bitter towards these fans, but I laugh at them a whole lot. I remember listening to cubs fans criticize our lineup, but then praising hairston, or Nomar, or Burnitz, especially before the season started (except JH). Thinking that they have the best pitching in baseball, listening to all the hype, and then believing it. Only cubs fans would still think that Kerry Wood is one of the best pitchers in baseball. I've never seen a guy with one really good game, last on that rep for so many years.

Cubs fans are hilarious, there is no other fanbase in baseball that knows less about the actual game than cubs fans. If you could get the tribune to write a piece on how Dempster will win the Cy Young next year, cubs fans would be ordering t-shirts.

How is this for Cubs messageboard humor

if i may, i'd like to suggest who the cubs will look towards, rather than who they should. (4 decades of cub off-season moves leads to a clear and keen observation)

cubs will most likely have an outfield that consists of austin kearns, preston wilson and jacque jones.

infield will probably be dlee, twalker, florida's alex gonzo(the other gonzo), and aram.

catchers are blanco and barrett

utility infileders are neifi and macias(dusty admittedly lobbied for 2 years to get him)

spare outfield marquis grissom, michael tucker and jacob cruz

rotation: zbo, prior, maddog, wood(dl targeted) kirk reuter

bullpen: dempster, ohman, john halama, wuertz, williamson

Apparently the Tribune Company fell into an extra 60 million dollars this off-season