Cheney to Resign, Rice to be bumped up to VP?

KipWellsFan

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Oct 18, 2005 -> 05:01 PM)
I heard this on the train today.  This ought to be really interesting.  Either someone got the tip of the century, or a libel suit from hell.  Either way it would be interesting to see both our first black, and our first woman in the White House, despite what some people think of her.

Technically she wouldn't be in the White House any more than she is now...she'd be in the VP Mansion, but she'd be the first one there as well.

And it's not going to be a libel suit, because people are just reporting that they've heard rumors and no one is on the record.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Oct 18, 2005 -> 07:02 PM)
Interesting.  I think Condoleza is a decent person, but I've long been a Dick Cheney supporter.  I think he's a lot sharper than people give him credit for. 

I guess we'll wait and see what happens.

I don't know anybody who doesn't give Cheney credit for being sharp. Mercenary and abraisive, but sharp.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Oct 18, 2005 -> 07:26 PM)
Technically she wouldn't be in the White House any more than she is now...she'd be in the VP Mansion, but she'd be the first one there as well.

And it's not going to be a libel suit, because people are just reporting that they've heard rumors and no one is on the record.

Split hairs if you like, but it would still be an important moment in history, even if it comes because of an indictment.

QUOTE(jasonxctf @ Oct 19, 2005 -> 03:46 PM)
isnt there someone around here who has his quote of "Freedom means Freedom for everybody" as their signature??

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/artic...-2004Aug24.html

That would have been me. He also backtracked on it months afterwords.

He's supportive of his family. That's great. Too bad he isn't supportive of everyone else's family too.

I hate to shoot this down before it takes of the ground, but I was talking to my wife and she insists that if the VP stepped down you cant just name a replacement. The VP would be the Speaker of the House. It's the line of succession.

Although, this is the Bush administration and they have "modified" the rules several times before. WOuldnt suprise me if they tried it again,

QUOTE(Athomeboy_2000 @ Oct 19, 2005 -> 08:34 PM)
I hate to shoot this down before it takes of the ground, but I was talking to my wife and she insists that if the VP stepped down you cant just name a replacement. The VP would be the Speaker of the House. It's the line of succession.

Although, this is the Bush administration and they have "modified" the rules several times before. WOuldnt suprise me if they tried it again,

That's the line of succession for the Presidency. If the VP resigns...there's no one necessarily in like to replace him. If both the Pres and VP are gone, the President of the Senate doesnt' just immediately become the VP. The President is the only one who would be replaced by that method.

Directly from the 25th Amendment:

Whenever there is a vacancy in the office of the Vice President, the President shall nominate a Vice President who shall take office upon confirmation by a majority vote of both Houses of Congress.

QUOTE(Athomeboy_2000 @ Oct 19, 2005 -> 10:34 PM)

Gerald Ford was not Speaker of the House. He was chosen following the resignation of Spiro Agnew in 1973.

More than anyone wants to know, probably.

http://www.fas.org/sgp/crs/misc/RL31761.pdf

Presidential and Vice Presidential Succession:

Overview and Current Legislation

Summary

Whenever the office of President of the United States becomes vacant due to

“removal ... death or resignation” of the chief executive, the Constitution provides

that “the Vice President shall become President.” When the office of Vice President

becomes vacant for any reason, the President nominates a successor, who must be

confirmed by a majority vote of both houses of Congress. If both of these offices are

vacant simultaneously, then, under the Succession Act of 1947, the Speaker of the

House of Representatives becomes President, after resigning from the House and as

Speaker. If the speakership is also vacant, then the President Pro Tempore of the

Senate becomes President, after resigning from the Senate and as President Pro

Tempore. If both of these offices are vacant, or if the incumbents fail to qualify for

any reason, then cabinet officers are eligible to succeed, in the order established by

law (3 U.S.C. §19, see Table 3). In every case, a potential successor must be duly

sworn in his or her previous office, and must meet other constitutional requirements

for the presidency, i.e., be at least 35 years of age, a “natural born citizen,” and for

14 years, a “resident within the United States.” Succession-related provisions are

derived from the Constitution, statutory law, and political precedents of the past two

centuries. Since 1789, Vice Presidents have succeeded to the presidency on nine

occasions, eight times due to the death of the incumbent, and once due to resignation

(see Table 1). The vice presidency has become vacant on 18 occasions since 1789.

Nine of these occurred when the Vice President succeeded to the presidency; seven

resulted from the death of the incumbent; and two were due to resignation (see Table

2).

The events of September 11, 2001 raised concerns about continuity in the

presidency and succession issues in general. Following establishment of the

Department of Homeland Security (DHS), legislation to include the DHS secretary

in the line of succession has been introduced in the 108th Congress: S. 148 , H.R.

1354, and H.R. 2319. All three would include the Secretary of Homeland Security

in the line of succession following the Attorney General, while H.R. 2319 also makes

further amendments to the Succession Act of 1947. Other measures would make

major changes to existing succession law; these include H.R. 2749, S. 2073, S.Res.

419, or propose actions that would not require legislation (H.Res. 775 and

S.Con.Res. 89). The Senate Committees on the Judiciary and Rules and

Administration held a joint hearing September 16, 2003 to review the Succession Act

of 1947 and the question of succession in general.

For additional related information, please consult CRS Report RS20827,

Presidential and Vice Presidential Terms and Tenure, by Thomas H. Neale, and CRS

Report RS20260, Presidential Disability: An Overview, by Thomas H. Neale.