No more bling

I'm not young, black, and rich, nor do I like hip hop or rap, so I don't find a lot of common ground with these guys. The NBA definately has a thug image, and my interest level is pretty low. Unless I'm gambling, my interest in basketball is minimal. Maybe I was actually just a Michael Jordan fan, and not really a basketball fan. :huh

Edited by tonyho7476

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Oct 19, 2005 -> 12:22 PM)
I don't mind it a whole lot, but it is pretty stickler.  Shaq's outfit would be in violation of the rules, in the picture below. 

g_shaqiverson_372.jpg

Why?

I thought it said no "baseball caps" or something like that. I think Shaq would be fine with what he's wearing. PIMP.

QUOTE(Palehosefan @ Oct 19, 2005 -> 01:00 PM)
The hat part is over the line, especially the hat Shaq is wearing, I love fedora's etc. But hearing NBA players complain about a dress code is hilarious. Most businesses out there make their employees dress atleast business casual.

I highly doubt Shaq would get fined wearing that.

I'm sure there will probably be plenty of leniency.

And it's definitely funny watching overpaid athletes b**** about a simple rule that almost all of working America has to follow.

This is from the rules.

3. Excluded Items

The following is a list of items that players are not allowed to wear while on team or league business:

• Sleeveless shirts.

• Shorts.

• T-shirts, jerseys, or sports apparel (unless appropriate for the event (e.g., a basketball clinic), team-identified, and approved by the team).

Headgear of any kind while a player is sitting on the bench or in the stands at a game, during media interviews, or during a team or league event or appearance (unless appropriate for the event or appearance, team-identified, and approved by the team).

I think they will definitely make a few changes on the lenient side.

QUOTE(Palehosefan @ Oct 19, 2005 -> 11:39 AM)
•  Sleeveless shirts.

•  Shorts.

Somehow, I just can't get past the fact that a league which plays its games in sleeveless shirts and shorts won't let people wear sleeveless shirts and shorts to its functions.

Think about MLB banning baseball hats outside of the field of play.

Considering that the players are essentially salaried employees, and are on 'company time' while travelling and on the bench, I think the league has every right to dictate clothing options. The league doesn't need to gain 'young inner city interest', it needs to KEEP the interest of the middle class white guys that buy most of the tickets. And my guess is that a lot of those guys are sick of millionaires trying to look like thugs.

QUOTE(SoxAce @ Oct 19, 2005 -> 07:54 PM)
I have my opinions on why I don't like this policy one bit, but on the other hand, maybe thats why I respected Jordan so much cause not only did he go to college to enhance his knowledge, but he always looked professional.

I agree. MJ was a great role model. Magic Johnson was another player who was always in a suit and very professional looking.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Oct 19, 2005 -> 11:05 PM)
If you want a kid addicted to gambling.

Jordan was a horrible role model.  Arguably the best basketball player of all time, but he was not a good role model.

And that is when he wasn't out cheating on his wife... Admire Jordan the ballplayer, but don't admire him off of the hardwood.

All of the dirt on Jordan didn't come out 'til way after the fact.

Regardless of his private matters, which I'm sure weren't any worse than the average pro athlete (I know, that ain't sayin' much), the way he conducted himself while in the public eye should definitely be emulated.

I like his classy and professional demeanor much more than the thug mentality.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Oct 20, 2005 -> 04:38 PM)
Excuse me?  what about the gambling trip right in the middle of the playoffs one year?

One whole incident?

It's well-known that the media was fairly protective of Jordan and kept many things on the hush for him.

Again, I stand by my statement that the way he conducts himself in front of the cameras and in public should be emulated.