PTC slams FOX

JUGGERNAUT

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Oct 24, 2005 -> 07:56 PM)
The odds of the average kid picking up a gun, going to school, and shooting people is never good.  That doesn't mean that violence doesn't exist...but a kid getting beaten up, kids getting jumped, kids getting mugged, while all are very horrible, are nothing compared to a kid having unprotected sex one time and waking up 10 months later to the sound of a child crying.

Tell that to a rape victim.

At least there's adoption.

People that have never been a victim of a violent crime shouldn't say it's nothing.

QUOTE(ChiSoxyGirl @ Oct 24, 2005 -> 07:03 PM)
Tell that to a rape victim.

At least there's adoption.

People that have never been a victim of a violent crime shouldn't say it's nothing.

One could argue that even rape may have something to do with sexually explicit material on TV, could they not?

I'm not suggesting at all that violence is a non-issue. I'm merely stating one of the reasons why most sexual material is not shown on prime time TV.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Oct 24, 2005 -> 08:11 PM)
One could argue that even rape may have something to do with sexually explicit material on TV, could they not?

I'm not suggesting at all that violence is a non-issue.  I'm merely stating one of the reasons why most sexual material is not shown on prime time TV.

I guess it depends on if you view rape as about sex; or if you take the more informed view and consider it an act of domination, power, humiliation and putting someone in their place. . .

Do I think that portraying people as mere sexual objects plays into that? Yes.

Do I think that the constant saturation of violence in movies, tv, video games, music, etc has just as big a role? Yes.

QUOTE(ChiSoxyGirl @ Oct 24, 2005 -> 07:17 PM)
I guess it depends on if you view rape as about sex; or if you take the more informed view and consider it an act of domination, power, humiliation and putting someone in their place. . .

Do I think that portraying people as mere sexual objects plays into that? Yes.

Do I think that the constant saturation of violence in movies, tv, video games, music, etc has just as big a role? Yes.

I don't view rape as solely a violent sexual act...I view it more as a violent act, giving the rapist power over the other, to fulfill a sexual urge. Bullies anywhere can feel that same domination and power over someone else with insulting and fighting, thus exhibiting their insecurity with themselves for whatever reason that may be(perhaps too much violence on TV, perhaps problems at home, perhaps a bit of depression), but there is no sexual interaction involved.

I'd also very much agree with the last part of your post.