Jose Contreras

Kyyle23

Its funny to think of how much a good portion of people(including myself)in the beginning of the year got a sick knot in their stomach everytime Contreras' turn came up and now to see how valuable he is. I just thought I would put together a little opinion questionaire about our favorite Cuban defector to see what you guys think.

A: How did you feel about Contreras before the All-Star Break?

B: Do you think the Sox will view Contreras as a valuable part of the team after the season is over?

C: Do you think Contreras will be trade bait after the season is over?

D: Do you want Contreras to be trade bait after the season?

E: Do you feel that Contreras could sustain this type of success, or do you think Cooper has caught the proverbial "Lightning in a bottle"?

F: Did you think that Contreras was worth his contract when he was acquired?

G: Do you think that Contreras is worth his contract now?

Just curious. I have heard various things around the site for the past few months about contreras, and I wondered where everyone stood right now. I thought it could make for a good conversation. :)

Edited by kyyle23

I wanted him out of Chicago.

B: Do you think the Sox will view Contreras as a valuable part of the team after the season is over?

Depends on if they can get another capable starter to take his spot, I dont want to see El Duque in the rotation (despite his great job in Boston)

Yes.

Yes, he'll get a high price.

E: Do you feel that Contreras could sustain this type of success, or do you think Cooper has caught the proverbial "Lightning in a bottle"?

No, I dont think Contreras will be able to keep it up.

No.

For the time being, yes.

since we traded for him i was estatic, ive always followed him and thought he had all the peices to be an amazing pitcher. ive backed him up since day one. for example, after a spring training start i saw in which he gave up 8 ER in 3 IP, i made it a point the next day to find him... shake his hand... say, "you pitched good yesterday jose, it will all come together this year"

obviously

hell no

hell no

sustain and improve.

hell yes.

hell yes.

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Oct 20, 2005 -> 01:24 AM)
A:  How did you feel about Contreras before the All-Star Break?

Decent 4th starter, still made me nervous whenever he picked up the ball.

B:  Do you think the Sox will view Contreras as a valuable part of the team after the season is over?

Yep.

C:  Do you think Contreras will be trade bait after the season is over?

No way, Jose.

D:  Do you want Contreras to be trade bait after the season?

Nope

E:  Do you feel that Contreras could sustain this type of success, or do you think Cooper has caught the proverbial "Lightning in a bottle"?

He's always had the talent. Why not?

F:  Did you think that Contreras was worth his contract when he was acquired?

Not when he was aquired, but by the end of his contract, I think he will have been worth it.

G:  Do you think that Contreras is worth his contract now?

See above.

A: How did you feel about Contreras before the All-Star Break? I'm pretty sure we're all the same on this one, but not one of us would have believed that we would have wanted Count to start game 1 of each playoff series and are happy to see him do so.

B: Do you think the Sox will view Contreras as a valuable part of the team after the season is over? I hope so; he's proven he's very vital to the success of this ballclub.

C: Do you think Contreras will be trade bait after the season is over? I don't think so.

D: Do you want Contreras to be trade bait after the season? Nope.

E: Do you feel that Contreras could sustain this type of success, or do you think Cooper has caught the proverbial "Lightning in a bottle"? Cooper's good. Count's done this against some awesome teams. Count was able to do this in Cuba, and the Yanks just couldn't get it out of him. Coop said there was something wrong when he got him, and he's fixed it.

F: Did you think that Contreras was worth his contract when he was acquired? Nope.

G: Do you think that Contreras is worth his contract now? Yep.

A - Still wanted to keep him. Had an amazing BAA and was getting no run support at all.

B - Right now, yes, and I think he'll probably be re-signed, but if a deal for Chad Tracy came along...........

C: Possibly. It would have to be a fantastic deal though.

D: Once again, it'd have to be a great offer for me to take notice. Opposing teams shouldn't think he's untouchable, but they should know we're not going to trade him for the sake of trading him.

E: I think he's finally got it now, but Don Cooper sticking around will be vital for him.

F: At the time no, because of his stats, but he always had the stuff and he's finally become a pitcher not a thrower.

G: Absolutely. Compare it to other starting pitcher's like Russ Ortiz.

A: How did you feel about Contreras before the All-Star Break? I thought he was a guy with great stuff that just had to get his s*** together, he had some great outings but I was still nervous as hell everytime he went out there because there was a 50/50 chance he could implode. His start at Wrigley proved to me that he was going to turn it around.

B: Do you think the Sox will view Contreras as a valuable part of the team after the season is over? Yes, the guy started game 1 of the ALDS, games 1 and 5 of the ALCS and more than likely will start game 1 of the World Series with a possibilty that he could start three games in the series. He'll be in our starting rotation next year and will get much respect.

C: Do you think Contreras will be trade bait after the season is over? No. Not unless Kenny recieves an outlandish offer that he just can't reject.

D: Do you want Contreras to be trade bait after the season? Nope. This team could easily go back to the WS next year. And a rotation of Contreras-Buehrle-Garcia-Garland-McCarthy is the best in baseball.

E: Do you feel that Contreras could sustain this type of success, or do you think Cooper has caught the proverbial "Lightning in a bottle"? I think this is the true Jose Contreras, this is the way he pitched in Cuba, Coop and Duke have gotten him into a state of mind that he's comfortable in, I truely believe this is the way he will pitch here on out.

F: Did you think that Contreras was worth his contract when he was acquired? $6M a year for a guy with his stuff wasn't bad, $8M for the Contreras we had pitching at the tail end of last year is a f***ing ripoff though.

Just curious. I have heard various things around the site for the past few months about contreras, and I wondered where everyone stood right now. I thought it could make for a good conversation. :) Absof***inglutely, $6M for a pitcher of his caliber is a bargain.

I thought that if he stopped walking people he'd be unbeatable, but that he'd never find his control

Absolutely

No.

If the right offer comes along...yes. We have 1 year on his contract. If we can get an all-star starting quality bat for him...absolutely (Ryan Howard?). If he has a year next year to rival the 2nd half this year...there's not a chance in Hell we'll be able to afford him unless he gives us a huge discount (If Burnett can get $10+ million, this guy could get 1.5 times that much) If he has a year next year where in we could actually afford to sign him, his potential trade value would have declined significantly.

I think there's no reason why he can't sustain it...but as with all pitchers, that doesn't mean he will. Injuries can always crop up. His control coulud slip.

Yes, but only because the Yanks also gave us $$.

Sweet mother of all that is good and pure YES.

Felix, Why exactly did you want him out of Chicago at the time of the All-Star Break? He was 4-5 with a 4.26 ERA. No not great, but some very solid stats for your 4th/5th starter. Also, where the hell would this team be w/o him at that point on? And I mean that even if he were to keep putting up numbers similiar to his first half.

Also, why would you want this team to trade Count during the offseason? I mean, you said it yourself, do you really want El Duque starting? You cite high value as a reason. We will be coming off as atleast AL champions, we are certainly in the mindset to win now. Any trade at all this offseason would be a downgrade to this team, unless some pipedream once in a life-time deal rolls around. You also infer KW would be willing to put put him out on the market. I highly doubt the master-mind of this team would be so stupid.

I would also like to know why you don't think he could keep it up. He's always been a million dollar talent. Isn't it probable that he has finally found his comfort-zone here in Chicago? One would only assume his confidence would soar even higher if we were to win the World Series.

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Oct 19, 2005 -> 07:24 PM)
Its funny to think of how much a good portion of people(including myself)in the beginning of the year got a sick knot in their stomach everytime Contreras' turn came up and now to see how valuable he is.  I just thought I would put together a little opinion questionaire about our favorite Cuban defector to see what you guys think.

A:  How did you feel about Contreras before the All-Star Break?

B:  Do you think the Sox will view Contreras as a valuable part of the team after the season is over?

C:  Do you think Contreras will be trade bait after the season is over?

D:  Do you want Contreras to be trade bait after the season?

E:  Do you feel that Contreras could sustain this type of success, or do you think Cooper has caught the proverbial "Lightning in a bottle"?

F:  Did you think that Contreras was worth his contract when he was acquired?

G:  Do you think that Contreras is worth his contract now?

Just curious.  I have heard various things around the site for the past few months about contreras, and I wondered where everyone stood right now.  I thought it could make for a good conversation.  :)

A. He was hard as hell to watch but I wanted him in the rotation cause he was still outstanding at times, even though he was inconsistant he was our best option at the time. The game he had against detroit where he get leveled but didn't walk anybody was actually the point in which I started believing in him.

B. Hell yeah. They've had him start game 1 of the alds, the alcs and now it looks like the world series, that tells you all you need to know.

C. Not a chance in hell. Kenny is all about pitching and he won't trade this group we got together, it's to damn good to mess with.

D. HELL NO. Same thing I said for C is basically the way I feel, Jose has become an ace and you don't trade a guy like this, period.

E. Jose has righted the ship, he has learned that he has a great fastball and that when he throws it for strikes he sets up one of the nastiest pitches in baseball in his fork ball.

F. No, but I liked the risk just because of the insane stuff that Jose does have.

G. An ace for essentially 6 mill(what we're paying) is just an insane steal, considering the likes of Eric Milton, Jon Lieber, Jaret Wright, and Matt Clement all got around 25 mill for 3 years.

Edited by Rowand44

Wanted him shipped off for a Burnett or somebody

yes

Kenny is always dangling, but he only if the guy is an impact bat

no

He can sustain it, this is the guy that the Yankees wanted and the Orioles saw when they were 2 hit.

not even half of it

yes

A: How did you feel about Contreras before the All-Star Break?-I felt he'd be 500 or so

B: Do you think the Sox will view Contreras as a valuable part of the team after the season is over?-I think so

C: Do you think Contreras will be trade bait after the season is over?-I think its very possible him or Garland is moved to get bMac in the rotation if they can't move El Duque. If you could get Teixera for either you'd have to think about it but he is a Boras guy looking for 100 million so I doubt it

D: Do you want Contreras to be trade bait after the season?-Nope, I want him to stay

E: Do you feel that Contreras could sustain this type of success, or do you think Cooper has caught the proverbial "Lightning in a bottle"?-I think he could be a 17-18 game winner for sure

F: Did you think that Contreras was worth his contract when he was acquired?-I did not

G: Do you think that Contreras is worth his contract now?-Compared to guys who got those cookie cutter 3 yr/21 million dollar deals last offseason-he is surely worth it