Larry Walker Retires

CardsJimEdmonds15

Walker says goodbye to baseball

Cardinals veteran has played his final game

By John Schlegel / MLB.com

Q8TxzRN6.jpg

First baseman Albert Pujols: "It's 17 years he played? I'm just glad to be a part of these last two years with him."

Center fielder Jim Edmonds: "The best thing I can say is, 'Congratulations on a great career and on retirement,' actually. Any time you can play as long as he did and have a career that he did, you should be congratulated. I think it's pretty special. I told him [when] he was getting a little sad, I said, 'I think you should be smiling right now. You've had an unbelievable career and you've got lots of money and now you get to go home and enjoy your family.' I think that's what's special."

Left fielder Reggie Sanders: "He was dealing with a lot, physically and mentally. But he's a true professional. He's going to go out there and give what he has. For us, as players in this clubhouse, we support each other. We do what we need to do to have each other's back. And we're just really proud of what Larry's done for us."

[More in URL]

Lemme just say I never realized just how awesome Larry Walker was until he put on that St. Louis uniform. What a class act. I hated to see him cry in the postgame but he battled for us last year but this year told me everything I ever thought about Walker. When healthy the man can swing a pretty good bat but that wasnt much. 4 cortisone (sp) shots is too much for one man like Larry I believe. He fought and fought and fought to try and help this team. While some Cards fans are disappointed right now about his non contributions this postseason believe it or not for some reason he brought a smile on my face (nothing else did really) when he got that double. It's a shame though his last at bat will end up being a strike out and he has to leave this way.

I enjoyed Larry in his 1 1/2 years as a Cardinal (even though we know most of us knew he was broken down and nearing the end). A Class act.. Sad he never gets his ring though.

Another in the long line of examples of a man who's body betrayed him. Wonderful player though. No injury qualifiers there. You can make a case that he was the best all-around player in his generation when you factor in things that are hard to factor like baserunning, the way he threw in right field and the things he could do with the bat. Great player.

QUOTE(Goldmember @ Oct 20, 2005 -> 02:06 PM)
^^^

i think they said he had to take 4 cortizone shots before last night's game.

a good guy. good luck on his next endeavors... :cheers

That's correct.. 4 shots.. Every time he would get one he would smack the ball around for a week but those last couple shots didnt seem to work. Infact, it only got worse for him from there on out. Only so much those things could do for Larry.

Congrats to Larry Walker for the career he had in baseball. :cheers

To me, Larry is one of the most underrated sluggers. He definitely didn’t have much left in the tank this season, but you can tell that he tried to give 110% when he wore that Cardinal uniform.

QUOTE(robinventura23 @ Oct 20, 2005 -> 11:44 AM)
At least he was able to PLAY in a World Series.  He certainly wasn't going to with the Rockies or Natxpos.

:cheers  On a great career.

Actually, he would have had a pretty damn good chance with that '94 Expos team, probably the most talented team he was a part of. Would not have mattered though, that was the :gosox3: year. Was. :headshake

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Oct 20, 2005 -> 05:41 PM)
Well he had a great career but me not being a big Cardinal fan im glad he is gone.... although if Rolen comes back next year healthy their offense wont miss a beat.

I think that's a very very big if right now. That strikes me as saying "If J.D. Drew comes back healthy".