FIRST Openly Gay Roman Catholic Priest in Canada

KipWellsFan

Tonight on VisionTV's 360 Vision Karl Clemens became the first Roman Catholic Priest to become openly homosexual in Canada. Here are some of the things he had to say with interviewer Kevin O'Keefe, I'm paraphrasing here as this just happened and the quotes aren't absolutely perfect.

Clemens: I'm Karl Clemens a Roman Catholic Priest and I'm Gay.

O'Keefe: How does it feel to say that?

Clemens: Feels comfortable, it's real

read my full report here, yah it's selfless promotion

http://thedanreport.blogspot.com/2005/10/f...lic-priest.html

QUOTE(Rex Kickass @ Oct 20, 2005 -> 09:47 PM)
I hope he enjoys his freedom - because he'll be kicked out of the priesthood within the year.

IIRC, it isn't against any rule to be gay, but like heterosexual Priests, they are expected to be celibit.

50%? I'm not certain that 50% of any profession is homosexual. Rex, what says you? 50% of any profession?

QUOTE(Texsox @ Oct 20, 2005 -> 07:51 PM)
IIRC, it isn't against any rule to be gay, but like heterosexual Priests, they are expected to be celibit.

I believe you are not recalling correctly.

Homosexuals, even those who are celibate, will be barred from becoming Roman Catholic priests under stricter rules soon to be released, the New York Times reported on Thursday.

The newspaper quoted a Church official "with authoritative knowledge of the new rules," as saying the question was not "if it will be published, but when," referring to the new ruling about homosexuality in Catholic seminaries.

The official spoke on the condition of anonymity because of the church's policy of not commenting on unpublished reports, the Times said.

He said that while Pope Benedict had yet to sign the document, it would probably be released in the next six weeks.

In addition to the new document, which will apply to the church worldwide, Vatican investigators have been instructed to visit each of the 229 seminaries in the United States.

The newspaper said that although work on the document began years ago under Pope John Paul, who died in April, its release will be a defining act in the young papacy of Benedict.

It noted that the Pope is a conservative who said last spring that there was a need to "purify" the church after deeply damaging sex scandals of the last several years.

The church official told the Times the ban would pertain only to candidates for the priesthood, not to those already ordained. He also said the document did not represent any theological shift for the church, whose catechism considers homosexuality "objectively disordered."

The church official who discussed the expected new rules said the document called for barring even celibate men who considered themselves homosexual because of what he contended were the specific temptations of seminaries.

"The difference is in the special atmosphere of the seminary," the Times quoted him as saying. "In the seminary, you are surrounded by males, not females."

I remembered it.

First off, it hasn't been put into effect, so this is speculation.

Second, it says becomming a Priest, nothing about those that are already a Priest. If the 50% figure is accurate, barring gay Priests would cripple the Church. There is already a severe shortage of Priests. The days of a small Parish having two Priests is long gone, even large Churches have a difficult time keeping two Priests on staff.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Oct 20, 2005 -> 10:07 PM)
I remembered it.

First off, it hasn't been put into effect, so this is speculation.

Second, it says becomming a Priest, nothing about those that are already a Priest. If the 50% figure is accurate, barring gay Priests would cripple the Church. There is already a severe shortage of Priests. The days of a small Parish having two Priests is long gone, even large Churches have a difficult time keeping two Priests on staff.

Once again, it won't be to take away the noncelibate gay priests that keep it on the downlow. Just the ones who admit to being gay or get caught.

Well, at least the forward thinking half of them anyway.

You say forward I say downward .. yada yada yada ..

I do believe the Church will come around on married couples being made allowed into the priesthood before women, gays, or lesbians are. There is a shortage of priests in general they have to deal with & if left between further parish closings or ordaining married couples as priests I think they will choose the couples.

Looking forward to it ;)