Rowand mentioned with Yankees

DBAHO

Pretty much inevitable;

Here's another name to throw into the Yankees' centerfield mix: Aaron Rowand. He's very good defensively, as he demonstrated against the Yankees this season, and could be available. The Sox have 2004 first-rounder Brian Anderson, who's nearly ready.

I've read somewhere a rumor of Rowand and Cotts for Gary Sheffield. Now why the Sox would do this, I don't know, but what would the Yanks have to give us in a possible deal. Someone like Chen - Ming Wang for starters perhaps?

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

And in the same article Marte;

A few months ago, White Sox reliever Damaso Marte told team officials he was quitting immediately. He was talked out of it, but you can expect the AL champs to put the lefthander on the trading block this winter.

But we knew that already didn't we. :D

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Oct 23, 2005 -> 12:25 PM)
Pretty much inevitable;

I've read somewhere a rumor of Rowand and Cotts for Gary Sheffield. Now why the Sox would do this, I don't know, but what would the Yanks have to give us in a possible deal. Someone like Chen - Ming Wang for starters perhaps?

Trading Rowand's not going to happen. The Yanks don't have what the sox need--which is more SP pitching in AAA and AA. Even if they did, Anderson isn't a guaranteed improvement over Aaron.

Rowand will likely have a 2006 closer to his 2004 yr. I think a lot of his drop off is probably due to playing everyday. In 2004, he only played in 140 games, compared to 157 this yr. He should be able to handle the grind better next yr. And Ozzie should try to get him some more days off. That didn't happen this yr with Pods' injury

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Oct 23, 2005 -> 07:25 AM)
Pretty much inevitable;

For Sheffield? The same guy he said he wouldnt give it his all if he ended up on the Mets? Thats the type of player Kenny Williams doesnt want on this team, so I doubt it'll happen.

forgot to put this in my other post :o

Why would we want a starter? We already have 6 starters for next year (yea, I'm counting El Duque), so trading for a Ming-Wang as you suggested doesnt make sense at all.

What would we do with 7 starters?

QUOTE(Felix @ Oct 23, 2005 -> 10:46 PM)
forgot to put this in my other post :o

Why would we want a starter?  We already have 6 starters for next year (yea, I'm counting El Duque), so trading for a Ming-Wang as you suggested doesnt make sense at all.

What would we do with 7 starters?

If Paulie leaves, this team needs to most likely trade for someone offensively to fill the void. Not saying it'll happen, but Garland or Contreras could be a very valuable trading chip while their value is at an all time high,

And El Duque is either traded or pitching in the pen next season. No way he's in the rotation for us.

And for beck's post, I'm not sure it's a given Rowand will bounce back offensively. In order to stay long - term though, that OPS needs to be back over .800.

El Duque is capable of starting though, so he could be used if one of our starters got hurt (the only real use for 6 capable starters in my mind, let alone 7)

And yea, if we trade Contreras or Garland, trading for Wang would make more sense, but I still highly doubt it.

QUOTE(Felix @ Oct 24, 2005 -> 12:04 AM)
El Duque is capable of starting though, so he could be used if one of our starters got hurt (the only real use for 6 capable starters in my mind, let alone 7)

Not for a whole season with his arm he's not. Unless he's going to be a setup guy, it doesn't make sense to keep him for $6M as a long reliever, when we could use that money on a good lefty reliever to replace Marte (Scott Eyre anyone), and towards the re-signings of A.J etc.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Oct 24, 2005 -> 01:17 AM)
What about Matsui?  He's a lefty bat with some pop, can fit in nicely with Iguchi (hopefully), and he can DH/LF with Pods playing the other spot.

He's going to get 12/13M for 3 years this off-season most likely from the Yankees. I think we'd rather Paulie at that pricetag.

QUOTE(beck72 @ Oct 23, 2005 -> 07:40 AM)
Trading Rowand's not going to happen. The Yanks don't have what the sox need--which is more SP pitching in AAA and AA. Even if they did, Anderson isn't a guaranteed improvement over Aaron.

Rowand will likely have a 2006 closer to his 2004 yr. I think a lot of his drop off is probably due to playing everyday. In 2004, he only played in 140 games, compared to 157 this yr. He should be able to handle the grind better next yr. And Ozzie should try to get him some more days off. That didn't happen this yr with Pods' injury

yeah, those extra 17 games in september really show why he was no where near his 2004 prodection in april/may/june/july...

I might be tempted into doing Rowand/Marte for Sheffield... He was right around where Konerko was offensively this year, more OBP, less SLG (actually -- Sheff had four more OBP percentage points, I thought the margin was a lot bigger).

Then again, I'd rather just keep the former two, deal Marte in another trade, and sign Brian Giles, but who knows.

Edited by CWSGuy406

QUOTE(Kid Gleason @ Oct 23, 2005 -> 11:23 AM)
I'm confused, with Game 1 being in the bag...and Game 2 tonight...why on earth is ANYBODY involved with the Sox in ANY way shape or form even thinking about trades and moves??? Isn't that something that shouldn't even exist in any of our minds right now?

I'm constantly thinking about it all the time. I can't help it. I really like going through different scenarios in my head and trying to play GM. It helps pass the time until the next game starts. :cheers

I think it's a bit ironic that we are in the World Series, winners of game one and looking like a powerhouse ourselves and there is alreay talk of breaking up the team. Of course every player on any team, but especially a winner, that is seen as good always appears headed for the Yankmees. Hopefully it doesn't happen and we keep our group intact and have a healthy Frank Thomas back next year. That would be just like making a big trade.

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Oct 23, 2005 -> 11:27 AM)
I wouldn't mind Sheffield's numbers in the 3-hole next year but I can't stand the guy.  What a cancer.  He got his ticket out of Milwaukee by botching plays.  What a worthless human being.

I don't really want him, but those comments your just spewed about him being a cancer were said about AJ and Everett.

QUOTE(elrockinMT @ Oct 23, 2005 -> 04:35 PM)
I think it's a bit ironic that we are in the World Series, winners of game one and looking like a powerhouse ourselves and there is alreay talk of breaking up the team. Of course every player on any team, but especially a winner, that is seen as good always appears headed for the Yankmees. Hopefully it doesn't happen and we keep our group intact and have a healthy Frank Thomas back next year. That would be just like making a big trade.

No one is talking about breaking up the team. In fact, looking at it realistically, you can probably safely say that seven of the nine positions are already filled (Pierzynski, Iguchi, Uribe, Crede, Podsednik, Rowand/Anderson, Dye -- at 1B or RF).

But, they need to get better offensively. Our rotation is set (Buehrle/Garland/Contreras/Garcia/B-Mac), much of our bullpen is set (Hermy/Cotts/Jenks/Politte, with Marte probably being traded), so they have to use the money that's going to come in and get some strong offensive players in here; and Sheffield is a strong offensive player.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Oct 23, 2005 -> 10:58 AM)
No one is talking about breaking up the team.  In fact, looking at it realistically, you can probably safely say that seven of the nine positions are already filled (Pierzynski, Iguchi, Uribe, Crede, Podsednik, Rowand/Anderson, Dye -- at 1B or RF). 

But, they need to get better offensively.  Our rotation is set (Buehrle/Garland/Contreras/Garcia/B-Mac), much of our bullpen is set (Hermy/Cotts/Jenks/Politte, with Marte probably being traded), so they have to use the money that's going to come in and get some strong offensive players in here; and Sheffield is a strong offensive player.

I really doubt KW would trade for Sheffield.

Aside from Marte and Viz, I really can't think of anybody on this team I would be O.K. with losing. The only guy who doesn't seem to be living it up, and actually "buddying up" with the team is Dye, but I think that is just his personality. I, personally, want to see this team together for atleast 1 more year.