Why I don't care about bandwagoners

aiko

I've had a bunch of friends complain about bandwagoners lately, but I can't seem to get as angry about them as others. Three reasons why:

1. First off, they bring in money to the club. That's always good.

2. Every Sox fan fell in love with this team at some point in their life. Maybe that love was passed down to you from your parents, maybe it happened on your first trip to Comiskey when you were younger, or maybe it happened the first time you witnessed a Big Hurt dinger on TV. For many people, especially kids, the time that they fell in love with the Sox is going to be this magical season and postseason. That doesn't seem any less valid to me. Will all of these bandwagoners become life-long fans? No. But some will, and that's great.

3. The feeling that you have right now, and the happiness that this team has given you is pretty much directly proportional to how long you've loved them. For me, that's around 15 years... for others -- those who have been with the team 30, or 40, or 60+ years -- that feeling is all the more powerful. If nothing else, you can take comfort in the knowledge that no bandwagoner could possibly enjoy this nearly as much as you.

:gosoxretro:

No matter what happens in the next 2-5 games, this has been, by far, the most enjoyable baseball season of my life. I love this year's team, and I will always remember them.

QUOTE(aiko @ Oct 23, 2005 -> 10:55 PM)
I've had a bunch of friends complain about bandwagoners lately, but I can't seem to get as angry about them as others.  Three reasons why:

1. First off, they bring in money to the club.  That's always good.

2. Every Sox fan fell in love with this team at some point in their life.  Maybe that love was passed down to you from your parents, maybe it happened on your first trip to Comiskey when you were younger, or maybe it happened the first time you witnessed a Big Hurt dinger on TV.  For many people, especially kids, the time that they fell in love with the Sox is going to be this magical season and postseason.  That doesn't seem any less valid to me.  Will all of these bandwagoners become life-long fans?  No.  But some will, and that's great.

3. The feeling that you have right now, and the happiness that this team has given you is pretty much directly proportional to how long you've loved them.  For me, that's around 15 years... for others -- those who have been with the team 30, or 40, or 60+ years -- that feeling is all the more powerful.  If nothing else, you can take comfort in the knowledge that no bandwagoner could possibly enjoy this nearly as much as you.

:gosoxretro:

No matter what happens in the next 2-5 games, this has been, by far, the most enjoyable baseball season of my life.  I love this year's team, and I will always remember them.

I second this motion and ask that it become law.

This postseason run will probably convert some "fence-sitters" and also develop more young fans.

Attendance will NOT be a discussion next season, except when we b**** about how much harder it is to get tickets, how much worse the parking situation is, and how much longer the bathroom/concessions lines are.

Looks like I might have to consider at least one of the "Ozzie or Minnie plans" next year, just to make sure I get to see some of the games I want.

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Oct 24, 2005 -> 12:26 AM)
While attendence should be up a lot next season I dont think it will be 2 hard to get tickets during the regular season still... maybe if we can make the playoffs on a consistent basis and make another WS run...

I think it'll be real tough to get weekends and tickets for games against "premium" teams.

Wednesdays and Thursdays against Detroit, Toronto, Tampa, KC, etc. will still be available for sure.

There will be converts, new fans, whatever you want to call them. But, the majority of the bandwagoneers are just along for the moment. The kind of people who get off on saying "they were there". They're the ones that I hate. But, I agree, unfortunately so, that they're making the club a lot of money and that's a good thing.

But, all in all, I f***ing hate bandwagoneers. I used to go to games back in '69 and '70 and was often one of anywhere between one or two thousand fans in attendance. I went to a couple of games that didn't even draw 1,000. Frankly, it sickens me to see people who only come out for something like this. Oh well though, that's just the way of things. :gosox1:

QUOTE(BigEdWalsh @ Oct 24, 2005 -> 01:03 AM)
There will be converts, new fans, whatever you want to call them. But, the majority of the bandwagoneers are just along for the moment. The kind of people who get off on saying "they were there". They're the ones that I hate. But, I agree, unfortunately so, that they're making the club a lot of money and that's a good thing. 

But, all in all, I f***ing hate bandwagoneers. I used to go to games back in '69 and '70 and was often one of anywhere between one or two thousand fans in attendance. I went to a couple of games that didn't even draw 1,000. Frankly, it sickens me to see people who only come out for something like this. Oh well though, that's just the way of things. :gosox1:

I really do agree with you, but we as Sox fans can't have it both ways.

We complain about being ignored, and we complain about attendance. Well, get to the World Series and you will be noticed, and your park will be full. BUT, it will be full of bandwagoners who are willing to spend to be "part of something". This is not new, but it's new to us. We don't like it, and understandably so. But I'm gonna LOVE that trophy, and it's a fair trade-off as far as I'm concerned.