Memo to the White Sox:

Mercy!

Making God Bless America a new “tradition” at sports venues is a bad idea. If it ever really had any meaning for a mass sports audience, it faded within a few of months after 9/11/2001. But having Gene Honda instruct everyone in attendance to stand “for a show of patriotism” for this Irving Berlin ditty is downright presumptuous, insulting and shallow. (Not quite as peculiar as those times when we’re instructed to stand “for your Chevy Pride Crew,” though.)

In place of God Bless America, I suggest the PA announcer request a moment of silence while he reads the names of our service members killed that week in service to their country. THAT might be a show of respect for the real patriots.

QUOTE(Mercy! @ Oct 24, 2005 -> 08:00 AM)
Making God Bless America a new “tradition” at sports venues is a bad idea.  If it ever really had any meaning for a mass sports audience, it faded within a few of months after 9/11/2001.  But having Gene Honda instruct everyone in attendance to stand “for a show of patriotism” for this Irving Berlin ditty is downright presumptuous, insulting and shallow.  (Not quite as peculiar as those times when we’re instructed to stand “for your Chevy Pride Crew,” though.)

In place of God Bless America, I suggest the PA announcer request a moment of silence while he reads the names of our service members killed that week in service to their country.  THAT might be a show of respect for the real patriots.

I don't think MLB would want that much of a "downer" played up. I have no problem with God Bless America, unless Liz Phair is butchering it.

And I think people should stand for that song, certainly 100% more appropriate than begging people for a t-shirt.

I thought this was a mlb mandate, not a White Sox or individual team thing. I know they do it in Houston and Dallas as well.

I'd like to see them switch back and forth between the National Anthem and a couple other patriotic songs at the begining of the game.

QUOTE(Mercy! @ Oct 24, 2005 -> 09:00 AM)
Making God Bless America a new “tradition” at sports venues is a bad idea.  If it ever really had any meaning for a mass sports audience, it faded within a few of months after 9/11/2001.  But having Gene Honda instruct everyone in attendance to stand “for a show of patriotism” for this Irving Berlin ditty is downright presumptuous, insulting and shallow.  (Not quite as peculiar as those times when we’re instructed to stand “for your Chevy Pride Crew,” though.)

In place of God Bless America, I suggest the PA announcer request a moment of silence while he reads the names of our service members killed that week in service to their country.  THAT might be a show of respect for the real patriots.

SHE'S A COMMIE!! SHE HATES AMERICA!!

QUOTE(Mercy! @ Oct 24, 2005 -> 09:00 AM)

and we could also have michael moore and george soros sing the 7th inning stretch too! its not like you are a flaming liberal or anything...just a guess.

SHE'S A COMMIE!!  SHE HATES AMERICA!!

Jane Fonda / Gene Honda – Separated at Birth?

On the bright side, God Bless America as sung by Kate Smith is a standard on the jukebox of every gay bar in the United States. So I’m sure plenty of folks get downright misty-eyed whenever that song begins to play.

QUOTE(bighurt2719 @ Oct 24, 2005 -> 09:24 AM)
and we could also have michael moore and george soros sing the 7th inning stretch too! its not like you are a flaming liberal or anything...just a guess.

I think forced patriotism is a bad idea. It is a staple of communist regimes. But then running up huge debts, discrediting the media, taking away a free judiciary, are all communist game plans that conservatives are in love with. And I guess you are a conservative.

QUOTE(ZoomSlowik @ Oct 24, 2005 -> 08:54 AM)
Unless you're at Wrigley Field. I've never heard it done on any broadcast for the Cubs.

God Bless America is sung every Sunday during the regular season at the White Sox games and its not broadcast on TV.

For the playoffs- its every game of the World Series and the first game of each playoff series.

QUOTE(ZoomSlowik @ Oct 24, 2005 -> 09:54 AM)
Unless you're at Wrigley Field. I've never heard it done on any broadcast for the Cubs.

Excuse me for asking, but why the hell are you even listening?

BUSTED! CUB FAN JUMPING ON BANDWAGON!

I kid because I care™

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Oct 24, 2005 -> 10:03 AM)
When was the last time there was a BIG game at Wrigley Field? :ph34r:

The future World Series champs played a few games there this summer, dumb ass. It's called inter league play. :D

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Oct 24, 2005 -> 10:03 AM)
When was the last time there was a BIG game at Wrigley Field? :ph34r:

You might have a point there...

My point was in my view it seems like they've gotten a pass on the "God Bless America" thing because of their precious "Take Me Out to the Ballgame" tradition. They've had nationally televised games before, and It always seems to be the usual crappy rendition from some guy who has no reason to be there.

As for why I even watch, there's nothing else on during the afternoon on a weekday, and I have a habit of watching whatever baseball game is on. Plus it makes it easier to rip on my friends that are Cubs' fans when I know more about the team than they do. :D

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Oct 24, 2005 -> 10:10 AM)
You are lucky I am a Soxtalk Admin and we aren't allowed to ban anyone without a tribal council meeting, or your torches would sooooo be extinguished by now :angry:

:lolhitting

BTW, did you hear about the big games at the Cell this past weekend?

QUOTE(Mercy! @ Oct 24, 2005 -> 02:35 PM)
Jane Fonda / Gene Honda – Separated at Birth?

On the bright side, God Bless America as sung by Kate Smith is a standard on the jukebox of every gay bar in the United States.  So I’m sure plenty of folks get downright misty-eyed whenever that song begins to play.

I thought the McCarthy hearings weeded you people out of mainstream America? Whoever you people are. ;)

:snr

These boys are singing that well known anthem of those people: Where have all the Flowers Gone?